Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 01:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Crating my artwork this week is my most challenging job, preparing to move to new home 1000 miles away. I am an abstract artist and my work is big. Larger than a 4x8 sheet of plywood, so crating is challenging.

This move is actually making me think about making multiple piece works that hang together instead of one large work.
My paintings aren't heavier than I can lift, just big. Easily wrapped and transported to nearby galleries but not to be trusted to movers out of my sight across several states.
You know I watched the guy crate our pieces, and he was excellent. I told him I wanted to see how he did what he did. I had several pieces of art and two vintage stained glass windows which hang on chains. All of it arrived in perfect shape.

But, we could not have done the crating ourselves. I get that you do, so more power to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 01:03 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,039,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You know I watched the guy crate our pieces, and he was excellent. I told him I wanted to see how he did what he did. I had several pieces of art and two vintage stained glass windows which hang on chains. All of it arrived in perfect shape.

But, we could not have done the crating ourselves. I get that you do, so more power to you.
I would love to see how the pros crate high-end artwork larger than a sheet of plywood. It's a different kind of crating using certain materials. YouTube has nothing to show me so I'm learning on my own.

In January I had a one-person show, delivered my work by truck but the gallery art handler when he took down the show in Feb told me what kind of materials to use to wrap them and actually did that for me. A real learning experience behind the scenes, he worked previously for a NYC art gallery. But crating for shipping is WAY more complicated.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:51 PM

I watched the guy actually build a crate around the stained glass windows. He used new pine. I can’t remember much else though.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Putting together our living room furnishings in our new house. It's so much fun!

The first photo is how it is now, with seller's furnishings and all that. The next photos are of what we're going in with - two matching sofas at right angles rather than a sectional, etc. But I love color and want more of it in there so WOOHOOO!
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-6-19-living-room-looking-fire   What are you working on now?-rug-pillow-fabrics-living-room.jpg   What are you working on now?-havertys-sofas.png  

Old 08-09-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Putting together our living room furnishings in our new house. It's so much fun!

The first photo is how it is now, with seller's furnishings and all that. The next photos are of what we're going in with - two matching sofas at right angles rather than a sectional, etc. But I love color and want more of it in there so WOOHOOO!
Go for the color! Color is good.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:45 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Well, I am doing something sort of exciting but sort of really NOT. I am cleaning out every single drawer, closet, cabinet, etc. getting ready to move. Some of this stuff, I haven't seen since we moved in six years ago! LOL
You are moving again after all you did for your current home?!

Old 08-10-2019, 07:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You are moving again after all you did for your current home?!
Yes. We knew when we bought this house that it was not for the long haul, because it is two stories and it also doesn't have the yard layout we prefer, or garage layout either. But it was a GREAT price, and that gave us a lot of wiggle room to do updates, so that's what we've done.

We planned to move in a couple more years but we came across a home that ticked off all the boxes, and property values are going up so quickly here (have been for years) that we figured we better just go ahead and move. We are also not getting younger ourselves. And we live in an adjacent county where the appreciation rate, while steadily moving upward, still isn't at the same level as the county we prefer. So we thought "Wow, if we wait another two or three years, what will the price be then?"

I love our current home so it makes me sort of sad to leave it but I am excited about the new home for sure! AND IT HAS A KITCHEN TO ABSOLUTELY DIE FOR.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:18 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Yes. We knew when we bought this house that it was not for the long haul, because it is two stories and it also doesn't have the yard layout we prefer, or garage layout either. But it was a GREAT price, and that gave us a lot of wiggle room to do updates, so that's what we've done.

We planned to move in a couple more years but we came across a home that ticked off all the boxes, and property values are going up so quickly here (have been for years) that we figured we better just go ahead and move. We are also not getting younger ourselves. And we live in an adjacent county where the appreciation rate, while steadily moving upward, still isn't at the same level as the county we prefer. So we thought "Wow, if we wait another two or three years, what will the price be then?"

I love our current home so it makes me sort of sad to leave it but I am excited about the new home for sure! AND IT HAS A KITCHEN TO ABSOLUTELY DIE FOR.
Wonderful!

I look forward to pictures!

Old 08-11-2019, 09:29 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:

Wow, I turn my back for a minute, and look what you go and do. I can’t wait to see the new place. You must be very excited!

Old 08-11-2019, 07:37 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Quote:

wait, im getting confused here???
the house that you have been showing the pictures on, where you just had all the ceilings painted that beautiful blue etc, your moving from there???????

cause if you are, im moving in........

I see the pic you showed with the "sellers" furniture, but the windows didnt match to what I remember your pictures, so Im guessing now, obvioulsy from the few last posts your moving again?

well, your house was (is) beautiful, im sure this one will be as well......but that master bathroom you just did with the gray and white tiles, omg, i loved that bathroom........

ok, I back tracked and understand now.....and yes, I know you will have fun re-doing it again, when you love to do something, it truly is a labor of love....I do get it..

I have my moms house for sale now (as she passed a few months ago), anyway, I repainted the whole house myself to get in a "HGTV genreic" form to sell, everyone said, OMG how did you...

wah wah wah..

truth is, (I grew up in that house) I enjoyed repainting it all alone, all by myself and reminised in each room, cried in others, and now its in the hands of the r/e........

I did paint all neutrals as to appeal to the mass, but each room, I did a different shade of neutral, so it wouldnt look like the house threw up beidge.....

while everyone has thier own choice in colors, I felt these neutrals almost anyone can live with until they paint the color of thier choice......mom was old, decor was old, you get it.......

Last edited by nightcrawler; 08-11-2019 at 07:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating