Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

How big is the room and how much natural light does it get? Those two blues you just linked are very pretty but if it's a smaller space and/or doesn't get much light, that could be a bit dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 03:45 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,921,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
How big is the room and how much natural light does it get? Those two blues you just linked are very pretty but if it's a smaller space and/or doesn't get much light, that could be a bit dark.
Bedroom is roughly 14X12 . . . the whole west side of the room is glass; also a big picture window facing north.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Bedroom is roughly 14X12 . . . the whole west side of the room is glass; also a big picture window facing north.
Oh, then go for it! I personally like the Mediterranean one more, it's a little bit softer, and is actually very close to the color I have in my master bedroom.

water's edge 1635 Paint - Benjamin Moore water's edge Paint Color Details

I'd buy samples of both of the ones you like and paint big swatches of both on all the walls and see which one looks best in your room with the furniture and bedding.

What kind of light does the master bath have? I used the same color strip but went with the blue 2 shades lighter in my master bath because it's interior and doesn't have the natural light that the bedroom has. They go great together, but the lighter shade brightens up the bath

brittany blue 1633 Paint - Benjamin Moore brittany blue Paint Color Details

Old 08-18-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Oh, then go for it! I personally like the Mediterranean one more, it's a little bit softer, and is actually very close to the color I have in my master bedroom.

water's edge 1635 Paint - Benjamin Moore water's edge Paint Color Details

I'd buy samples of both of the ones you like and paint big swatches of both on all the walls and see which one looks best in your room with the furniture and bedding.

What kind of light does the master bath have? I used the same color strip but went with the blue 2 shades lighter in my master bath because it's interior and doesn't have the natural light that the bedroom has. They go great together, but the lighter shade brightens up the bath

brittany blue 1633 Paint - Benjamin Moore brittany blue Paint Color Details
I like both of those, thanks . . . the first one is actually very close to my current bedroom.

The master bath has two small windows stacked vertically and vaulted ceiling (10 feet I think).

Old 08-18-2014, 11:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I think these are way too dark. I liked the previous color in the houzz page you linked. Very unique.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think these are way too dark. I liked the previous color in the houzz page you linked. Very unique.
Thanks, that one was "stratton blue": stratton blue HC-142 Paint - Benjamin Moore stratton blue Paint Color Details

Old 08-19-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
I think with this much light coming in and not a huge amount of wall space, you can go with a more dramatic darker color.

But that Stratton Blue is very pretty - I'd add that one to the sample and paint swatches of it too. There is really no substitute to getting up a nice big patch of color in the actual room IMO. With the water's edge color I used in my bedroom, I had actually been planning on getting the next lighter shade but when I saw it in the room, it didn't have the impact I was looking for and the somewhat darker shade works better.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:28 AM

I'm thinking fresh and airy---like a West Elm look---I'd look for a beachy color to go with the brown.

If you want dramatic, I'd go brighter instead of darker. A crisper, clearer color instead of a muted, muddied color. I'd avoid a grey base. I'd also try to get a blue that has red in it since you have west facing and north facing windows.

For dramatic:

blue lapis 2067-40 Paint - Benjamin Moore blue lapis Paint Color Details

twilight blue 2067-30 Paint - Benjamin Moore twilight blue Paint Color Details

If those are too rich, you can go lighter or darker by changing the shade of the same color. The shade bar is at the bottom of the page.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:58 PM

Thanks for all of the excellent feedback. I think I'm going with one of these two:

Raindrop: Raindrop SW 6485 - Blue Paint Color - Sherwin-Williams

Reflecting pool: Reflecting Pool SW 6486 - Blue Paint Color - Sherwin-Williams

Old 08-19-2014, 03:06 PM

I like Raindrop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating