Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 11:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, and I imagine those glass shower/tub doors are a pain to clean if the owners don't wipe them down after a bath or shower. That's what we do to keep them looking decent.

I'm not crazy about fake wood laminate floors, or those sinks perched above vanity counters in bathrooms- there's a name for those, I can't think of it. But that's just me.

Not crazy about subway tile either, it just reminds me of....subways.
Vessel sink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 12:17 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Some people in my area used pick flamingos as an anti-gentrification protest symbol about 15 years ago. They won that particular battle (against incorporation) but pretty much wound up losing the war.

I don't know about anyone else - but I would be PO'd if someone put anything in my yard without my consent and then demanded a "ransom" to remove it. Robyn
I think many people in the area where I live would consider that to be trespassing.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yup.
so guests will just need to get used to seeing "cutsey" photos of my kids, a "dream" and "love" sign here and there, and a sign saying "kitchen" in the kitchen. I also have garden gnomes aplenty in the rose garden
Probably your guests share their taste in decorating with you so they wouldn't think anything about your signs and cutesy photos.

I can find my kitchen just fine without a "kitchen" sign telling me where it is. And my guests can probably figure it out themselves when they observe the appliances, sink and counters.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:15 PM

555 posts, read 595,347 times
I hate white kitchen cabinets! Unless you're a fastidious housekeeper, I imagine they'd show every little smudge. Plus they're boring, although I get the point about them working best in a very small kitchen. What really gets me are people who paint over gorgeous real wood cabinets (like 80's/90's oak) just because white is "in". Give me the wood look any day.

I don't like glass slider doors for a tub, although I love them for a shower (I have the semi-frameless slider type). I'm not a particularly great housekeeper but squeezeeing the doors off after every shower has kept them looking nice. My pet bathroom peeve is the one-piece vinyl tub/shower surrounds. Ick.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:38 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
I hate white kitchen cabinets! Unless you're a fastidious housekeeper, I imagine they'd show every little smudge. Plus they're boring, although I get the point about them working best in a very small kitchen. What really gets me are people who paint over gorgeous real wood cabinets (like 80's/90's oak) just because white is "in". Give me the wood look any day.

I don't like glass slider doors for a tub, although I love them for a shower (I have the semi-frameless slider type). I'm not a particularly great housekeeper but squeezeeing the doors off after every shower has kept them looking nice. My pet bathroom peeve is the one-piece vinyl tub/shower surrounds. Ick.
I just shoot the glass doors with Scrubbing Bubbles once every week or two (when I'm taking a shower) - and it does the job. Handling mold in the tile grout is just as easy (X-14 works great). The hard job is getting rid of soap scum on the shower floor tiles. I've never found a chemical/spray that will do that. A pumice stick does (although it takes some "elbow grease").

I've had white/black kitchens (white cabinets/black floors) for 40+ years now (three different places - and I put in all the kitchens). Sometimes the look is "in" - sometimes it's "out" - but I have always enjoyed looking at/working in my kitchens. They really don't show a lot of dirt. Then again - I don't have kids or anyone else with dirty sticky hands using them either. If I did have anyone like that mucking up the cabinets - I'd want to be able to see the dirt so I could clean it up.

These are my current kitchen cabinets (although I now have a nice new French door refrigerator).

Kitchen by robyn589, on Flickr

Note that I would in general be more concerned with things like the quality of cabinets and how they're built (for example - framed versus frameless - Understand Framed and Frameless Cabinets - MasterBrand) - than a particular cabinet finish. The one thing I would definitely avoid when it come to cabinet finishes is the "flavor of the year" (whatever it happens to be). Because - unlike throw pillows - you can't change your kitchen cabinets every couple of years. Robyn

Old 07-26-2016, 02:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Vessel sink.
I'm not a fan either. I think they would be hard to clean, and probably prone to chipping.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:

I'd be in favor of painting old oak kitchen cabs, if they were worth the trouble. I got so sick of oak cabs! And the oak that was used in so many of them wasn't that great looking to begin with.

Younger people tend to go for the painted finishes, I think. Probably they want the opposite of what they grew up with. But oak in a kitchen is not a look I want for myself. I've been there and done that.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
White cabinets look so sterile and boring. And white appliances are my least favorite option, especially large refrigerators.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I'm not a fan either. I think they would be hard to clean, and probably prone to chipping.
Really depends what they're made out of in terms of chipping. I've stayed in some hotel rooms where they're made out of metal. Which isn't prone to chipping (OTOH - I don't care for the look of any of the metal sinks I've seen).

They're obviously harder to clean than regular sinks. Because - with regular sinks - there's no "outside" to clean.

Still - if/when we build another house (my husband would probably shoot me before agreeing to do so ) - it might be fun doing one bathroom out of 2/3 with a sink like that. Also - I've found that higher sinks like that work pretty well functionally (the closer the water is to your face - the better).

I think when you're building/redecorating - it's perhaps best to do 80% what you know and like - and experiment with the other 20%. Robyn

Old 07-26-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
White cabinets look so sterile and boring. And white appliances are my least favorite option, especially large refrigerators.
So what do *you* have? Please post some pictures. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating