Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:36 AM

18 posts, read 13,195 times

Advertisements

We are currently having our open plan kitchen/diner renovated from floor up and just put in an order for our kitchen (which will be delivered in early October).

Colour's of are new kitchen is as follows -

Base Units - Matt Greige
Tall Units - Matt Slightly Greyish White

Worktop (not yet decided) - likely will be white with marble effect
*Example Worktops -

Walls - will be off white (not yet decided)

We are struggling with two elements of the kitchen now -
1. New Ceiling lighting layout
2. The flooring we should go for that will tie in and contrast the colour of our worktop.

We have decided on Luxury Vinyl as its easy to install, hard wearing, warm, can be used with wet under floor heating, not as hard as tiles (we have 3 young children) and lastly can be removed/changed around the kitchen easily.

We have just been to a showroom and saw the following sample which we think would work well with the colours of our kitchen -

Our kitchen designer has provided us a 3D plan of our kitchen and I have managed to take some stills, which is what we are using to help us decide on the flooring -

Our construction company who has carried out the renovation will be installing the flooring and therefore we are unable to wait until the kitchen arrives to choose the flooring.

What colours would you think would be good for our flooring while tying in with the other colours we have within the kitchen?

Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:24 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,342 times
It looks too sterile now, like Resident Evil.

What about wood like vinyl?

https://shawfloors.com/flooring/viny...377/atmosphere

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/643100021759735571

Old 08-07-2017, 12:55 PM

18 posts, read 13,195 times
We have wood throughout the rest of the house and was hoping for something a little bit different in our kitchen/diner area.
I should have mentioned, our kitchen/diner also has our main living area as well.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:02 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
It certainly is white.

I would pick a darker busier pattern to go with all the white/greyish and also hide more dirt.

Or why not pick rubber???? Comes in all colors http://johnsonite.com/Flooring-Products/Rubber-Flooring

Old 08-07-2017, 03:00 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,665 times
I, too, would go with more contrast. Perhaps a dark grey/slate looking vinyl floor.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:16 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
I can't tell if your kitchen/dining areas are that huge or if they just used a fish eye lens to make them look much larger than they are(?)

But nonetheless, I agree. It is way too much gray and white. It really needs something added that is more on the dramatic side or a rich bold contrasting color to really break up all of the plain lighter colors. (unless, of course, you prefer a very streamlined, sterile, and totally unassuming look.)

Not necessarily these exact flooring samples but something on the bold and dramatic side with a pattern (pics 1 and 2). Or a darker bold color with lighter colored grout like in the 3rd and 4th pics).

The problem with a bold patterned flooring like the first pic, is extending it into your dining area. That would be too much and too busy if your dining area is pretty large. So if it were me I would do the kitchen in a bold patterned tile and a matching one color in the dining area.

Otherwise, even though you prefer not to have wood flooring, I picture a very rich looking dark wood/wood-look similar to these with all of your lighter colors or even a dark gray slate with a pattern or texture.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:51 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
As much as I love white kitchens, there is such a thing as too much white. Your kitchen needs warmth in the flooring. Since you have some light wood shelving in the plan, I would put in a floor that matches that wood. What color wood floors are in the rest of your house?

(I know you didn't ask, but I would switch the locations of the stove top and the sink too.)

Here is a modern white kitchen with light wood flooring similar to your shelves.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:58 PM

Here are stained concrete floors in a warm tone similar to your shelves.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:00 PM

If you wanted to change the tone of your wood shelves, here is a cooler-toned wood floor in a modern kitchen.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:51 AM

681 posts, read 2,360,113 times
The remodeler's CGI pictures are underestimating the actual brightness of your kitchen. These images look cozy and shaded, but you have two skylights and two doors serving as natural light sources in the kitchen area. White surfaces bounce and amplify light. Especially due to the skylights, your kitchen is going to end up brighter than all-white kitchens posted in pinterest. The combined illumination effect from all available natural light sources will be reminiscent of White Sands National Monument. Actually, your kitchen will appear whiter because in the desert, half the visual field is bright blue while your ceiling is white.

I'm with the others, please choose a floor closer to mid-value to soften the glare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating