Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 11:31 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times

Advertisements

One of our neighbors installed a commercial vapor light that lit up the whole residential neighborhood. Residents complained, city inspector made them remove it and recommended a moderate lighting system which they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 12:18 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I had no idea sleeping with a window, or many windows, open was against some law or means I am not "normal" and a savage.
Well, considering that this poster who went off about sleeping behind soundproof windows shut tight against the world mentioned in another thread that his ideal would be to live in a hermetically-sealed house. Serious anxieties and fears about just about everything to be found outdoors. Sort of explains it.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
One of our neighbors installed a commercial vapor light that lit up the whole residential neighborhood. Residents complained, city inspector made them remove it and recommended a moderate lighting system which they did.
I once had a neighbor who attempted to light up his entire property with mercury vapor lighting supposedly to keep cougars from getting at his horses. Drove everyone in the neighborhood nuts. Others had one to several horses too but they shut them in stables at night instead. The only person who had a cougar attack on livestock while I lived there was...you guessed it...the idiot with the lights.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:38 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I once had a neighbor who attempted to light up his entire property with mercury vapor lighting supposedly to keep cougars from getting at his horses. Drove everyone in the neighborhood nuts. Others had one to several horses too but they shut them in stables at night instead. The only person who had a cougar attack on livestock while I lived there was...you guessed it...the idiot with the lights.
He made it easy for the cougar to see the food from a long ways off. Just as lights on at night make it easy for burglars to see the layout of your buildings, where the locks and windows are, where the goods sit, etc.

I want the MDL to alert me AND to screw up criminals’ night vision.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:52 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
These discussions always try to make night lighting sound like some kind of moral failure. Darkness as some kind of virtue. I just like the light. I like to look out at night and see what's there. That's all.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:03 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I have zero sympathy for idiots who sleep with their windows open and no blackout drapes installed either. You are INSIDE! To keep a quiet, cool, dark place for sleeping is the basics of getting proper quality sleep. If you want to leave yourself open to the outdoor elements, go for it, but you’re basically sleeping in a tent then like a savage and you’ll get whatever you get when it comes to light or sleep. No proper curtains should let in any amount of light, that’s why we call them blackout curtains. They’re necessary for a normal person to sleep.

This lady is nuts. I wouldn’t care at all about her comments, she needs to take control of her own life. Neighbors will sometimes do things you don’t like. Rather than complain in her case, you need to do something about it. I even installed Soundproof Windows in my house so it’s almost impossible to hear anything from outside with one regular dual-pane window and a second, much thicker soundproof dual-pane window behind it. It’s beautiful!
"blackout drapes"

Weren't those used during WWII so that enemy planes and ships could not identify targets?

Regarding lights, it has started to get out of hand. People started with these landscaping lights. I don't know what purpose they serve but at least they usually don't bother neighbors. Except one of my neighbors installed very bright landscaping lights on the corners of the back of their property. The back of their property borders mine. The light is 30-35 yards from my deck but it is extremely bright. Fortunately it is not as bright as the neighbor on one side of me. They installed an extremely bright halogen light as a security light shining in their back yard from the house. It is like a high beam halogen headlight. Luckily it is not shining toward my house. If I have to go in that part of my backyard at night, I have to shield my eyes to see. It has a light sensor and is on from dusk to dawn. It was installed near their basement entrance and I guess they felt it would discourage someone from breaking in at that location.

I agree with most of the posters. Many people prefer to sleet with the windows open. Outside lights and sounds usually don't bother me.If outside lights bother my sleep, I would get better window coverings in my bedroom. I just don't understand the fascination with so many outside lights in peopl's yards.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:25 PM

Well, part of the problem is the higher intensity lighting choices these days. If an older lower watt light did a so-so job, a fancy high discharge lamp must automatically be better right? As has been discussed before, there are ways to shield or direct bulbs and fixtures so they light a specific area but don't broadcast to the entire neighborhood. If the people with the lights bother to think that out of course. Security concerns aside (which may be legitimate for some), guess I've never understood why some people have to be able to see their landscaping or walking paths all night while they are sleeping. When you need to see outdoors at night, turn on the light. When you don't, turn it off.

A former co-worker of mine was a "night sky" advocate...zealot really. The town bordered a large national park. He would pitch a fit over any brightly lit park facility, commercial building, or yard-lit house that degraded natural darkness and stargazing. He even went so far as to complain that the park's administrative and staff housing areas shouldn't have lighted pathways...flashlight use only. The park was in AK where winter days can be as short as 6 hours...that's a lot of darkness during waking hours. Unfortunately he was a complete hypocrite. His own house, a custom-built 3 story heap festooned with large view windows never used a single curtain or shade in all the years I lived there. You could spot it for miles at night. In fact, I remember overhearing a couple of sport fishermen/private pilots commenting that "Lou's house" was a great navigational marker!

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-09-2019 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-09-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
These discussions always try to make night lighting sound like some kind of moral failure. Darkness as some kind of virtue. I just like the light. I like to look out at night and see what's there. That's all.
Understandable. If you position your lighting so it doesn't adversely affect a neighbor, knock yourself out! If a neighbor came to me to complain about a light in a civil manner I'd try to figure out how to adjust it. But that hasn't happened so far...I have outdoor house lights like most folks but don't burn them all night. Energy-efficient lamps or not, there's this thing about using and paying for energy I don't need...

Old 05-09-2019, 12:49 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

It's called darkness for a reason.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:15 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
The majority of my neighbors leave lights on outside all the time, and I think that is great. My yard always has some light in it from their lights, and I don't have to pay a penny extra on my electric bill for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House