Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:50 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I know of several good repellents .410, 16gauge, 20gauge, 12gauge. they all work quite well. I guarantee any duck you use this repellent on will not walk in your yard again.

sorry I had to say it.

bill
Don't be sorry...I was going to post that ducks can be mighty fine eating!
I have duck for christmas and thanksgiving instead of turkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 03:27 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
...Familiarize yourself with them so you know how they are before your first encounter.

They are not poisonous but are very defensive. If threatened by animal or human, they will bite, repeatedly.
I was paid to exterminate water moccasins from a lake one summer. We encountered lots of water snakes and they only bit us when we captured them - and the bite was superficial, certainly nothing to be concerned about. We always returned the water snakes to the lake as they are beneficial to the ecosystem. The water moccasins are also beneficial but too many and the locals get agitated.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Very few Snakes actually survive up here. They are extremely rare and very hard to find. Most reptilians don't thrive in locations where single digit Temperatures happen every winter. I would be kind of excited to see a wild snake in NJ .

Spoiler
Coming from a tropical rain forest environment in India, I am used to dealing with snakes in my yard
Ok then I'd be happy to send you some from here in good ole NC!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:42 PM

460 posts, read 609,187 times
There is a spray that they have used up here (in Alaska) for geese. You spray it on your lawn and I think it has a little grape juice or something in it. Have also used sticks with tinsel on it.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
^^^ Oooo, that is so nice! Can you believe that my wife won't let me have any ducks? It's just not fair!

Edit: Hey...wait a minute - did you have those duckies in your tub?

Yes I raised them from when they were a couple of days old and were separated from their mother. They were too young to be outside. They lived in the garden when they were big enough until they flew away in the fall. I saw one of them sitting on my roof the next summer looking at my fish pond. Just a quick hello and she was gone again. I missed having them in my yard when they were gone. It confused all the neighborhood cats that came for a visit

Old 03-24-2014, 11:30 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yes I raised them from when they were a couple of days old and were separated from their mother. They were too young to be outside. They lived in the garden when they were big enough until they flew away in the fall. I saw one of them sitting on my roof the next summer looking at my fish pond. Just a quick hello and she was gone again. I missed having them in my yard when they were gone. It confused all the neighborhood cats that came for a visit
THAT'S how you keep them out of your yard. Put them in your bathtub.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:28 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
Perfect solution...

Amazon.com: Chicken/Duck Diaper (Zebra, Small 7-8"): Pet Supplies

Old 03-27-2014, 02:43 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
THAT'S how you keep them out of your yard. Put them in your bathtub.

LOL Well I had to do something with them.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:26 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
we use a repellant (sprayed on grass) that will give the geese a stomach ache when the eat it, the application contains a coloring that only the geese can see and they will then associate the color with their tummie ache. Subsequent applications consist of just the coloring and the geese will avoid that area all summer long. Works great.

Migrate Goose Repellent - Bird Control Products - Nixalite of America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House