Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:37 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
In NJ, those who own guns are typically police officers (or) criminals. Very few law abiding civilians over here actually own arms. .
And that's why you get pooped upon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 11:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
In NJ, those who own guns are typically police officers (or) criminals. Very few law abiding civilians over here actually own arms. I will stop it at that, as I don't want to make this a political debate .
I didn't believe this and looked it up. New Jersey ranks 49th for gun ownership. Only Hawaii has fewer percentage of gun owners.

Gun Ownership, by State - Guns, by State - Gun Owners Percentage by State

Quote:
Very few Snakes actually survive up here. They are extremely rare and very hard to find. Most reptilians don't thrive in locations where single digit Temperatures happen every winter. I would be kind of excited to see a wild snake in NJ .

Spoiler
Coming from a tropical rain forest environment in India, I am used to dealing with snakes in my yard
That's not true. New Jersey has 22 native snakes. The reason for snake decline has nothing to do with cold winters. It's because New Jersey is a cesspool of habitat destruction, pollution, and over population of non-gun-owning snake haters who persecute snakes.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/ens...h07.pdf‎

Old 03-19-2014, 11:54 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times
New Jersey is a great place to look for snakes and find them. Tons of snakes there and hundreds and hundreds of miles north of there, too.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:37 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A fence like that would only give the hawks it would attract a place to perch while they wait to snatch a duck.
Birds perching on your fence is an easier fix. A length of fishing line attached to the finials, stretching across the length of the fence and slightly above the horizontal stringer is a great bird deterrent - they don't land because they can't "get a grip".

As for the ducks; a l'orange?

Old 03-20-2014, 06:16 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
New Jersey is a great place to look for snakes and find them. Tons of snakes there and hundreds and hundreds of miles north of there, too.
Then why don't I see them at all. I know several snakes are native to this place, but I never really saw one in the wild yet. I trek often here, and never saw one till now. I did see several while trekking in the blue ridge mountains though .

Old 03-20-2014, 06:54 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Quote:
Then why don't I see them at all. I know several snakes are native to this place, but I never really saw one in the wild yet. I trek often here, and never saw one till now. I did see several while trekking in the blue ridge mountains though .
"There are more things in heaven and earth, (and New Jersey) Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy".

Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,623 times
As for snakes, here's one that's found a lot around ponds in the entire East (from Ontario to Florida).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Water_Snake

Familiarize yourself with them so you know how they are before your first encounter.

They are not poisonous but are very defensive. If threatened by animal or human, they will bite, repeatedly.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 AM

6,708 posts, read 5,939,550 times
So, it sounds as though we're getting to a solution for Adi: put some snakes in your back yard and they will bite the ducks, who will start avoiding your property thereafter.

Slightly tangential to the subject, just be thankful you don't have any of these wandering through!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:00 AM

675 posts, read 1,701,378 times
Quote:
Must be all of the excreted raw duck feces in your yard.

Snakes are around but they probably don't want to meet you. If you're walking through the woods in the Northeast you're unlikely to find one unless you surprise one by straying off the path and stepping in the wrong place. They can sense your footsteps and probably are staying put or going the other way - you don't have anything they want and are large enough to be dangerous.

However many snakes do like water, you may come across one lounging pondside in the summer months.

I still say the duck thing is probably just seasonal, unless your yard is literally the very edge of the pond. The only reason they'd be in your yard inland would be to find food, water, or a possible nesting place. Given the season and the numbers of ducks you mention these guys might just be passing through. You can't change the location of the pond but try to observe what the ducks are doing in your yard (besides pooping - are they pecking at something particularly? Eating a certain plant? Gathering around a certain area?) and then change whatever the attraction seems to be.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:38 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
Must be all of the excreted raw duck feces in your yard.

Snakes are around but they probably don't want to meet you. If you're walking through the woods in the Northeast you're unlikely to find one unless you surprise one by straying off the path and stepping in the wrong place. They can sense your footsteps and probably are staying put or going the other way - you don't have anything they want and are large enough to be dangerous.

However many snakes do like water, you may come across one lounging pondside in the summer months.

I still say the duck thing is probably just seasonal, unless your yard is literally the very edge of the pond. The only reason they'd be in your yard inland would be to find food, water, or a possible nesting place. Given the season and the numbers of ducks you mention these guys might just be passing through. You can't change the location of the pond but try to observe what the ducks are doing in your yard (besides pooping - are they pecking at something particularly? Eating a certain plant? Gathering around a certain area?) and then change whatever the attraction seems to be.

What was said above concerning attractions.

One other thing, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES addle (oil) the eggs. That would cause the adults to hang around longer and, more importantly, when word got out, and it would, you would have a visit from the New Jersey Department of Natural Resources and the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Migratory Bird Division. Your days would then be spent in Court and your nights working to pay the generally large fines incurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House