Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:38 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times

Advertisements

Guys, PLEASE STOP telling me to get pets for the heck of scaring ducks away. That's neither helpful for me or the pet. He/she deserves a more respected owner than me, and I am clearly not a pet lover. I don't hate them, but would prefer not to have one.

Like Hopes said, pets are meant to be loved, not used as repellents. I am asking for advice on repellents, and have found some useful information from posts here. I will make use of this information to aid in resolving the duck issue. Thank you once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 04:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Whats wrong with fencing your backyard. Our neighbors on both sides had already erected 6 foot high fences prior to our arrival in this neighborhood, hence its just us. We only need to focus on a single portion facing the pond. In short, I guess that's the only way to deal with duck issues in this place. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
That's not a fence. That's a cage.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not a fence. That's a cage.
Oh stupid me . No cages please, fence is a much better Idea . I was intending to use a metallic fence like those in the background. I still want to see the pond and ducks, but just don't want them excreting in my yard. They mostly walk into the yard and do not fly into it.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:27 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
My first inclination:

Benelli Presents Duck Commander - on Outdoor Channel - YouTube

Old 03-19-2014, 05:29 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
We have an issue here at our new home behind a pond. There are ducks walking across my yard. I wouldn't mind if all they did was walk and fly away, but they excrete raw feces all over . Is there any repellent one can buy to prevent ducks from entering the yard. I don't want my lawn or garden to be spoiled because of this. Any advice from other home owners living nearby ponds on how this can be prevented. I am not able to find any repellent products being sold in stores here, so whats your advice on purchasing it online.
Unless you put up a fence around the entire yard there is probably no keeping the ducks out.
Even a fence won't keep them all out though because they do fly and can land inside the fence anytime.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:35 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Unless you put up a fence around the entire yard there is probably no keeping the ducks out.
Even a fence won't keep them all out though because they do fly and can land inside the fence anytime.
He could make it a battlefield or use those tarps pot growers use to hide their crops in the woods...maybe some automatic targeting machine guns to shoot them down when they dare be ducks near the OPs yard/ (Neighbors will love that.)

Yeah, OP, you did not think this through much at all. If you don't want animals near you....don't move the burbs with a pond!

Old 03-19-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Oh stupid me . No cages please, fence is a much better Idea . I was intending to use a metallic fence like those in the background. I still want to see the pond and ducks, but just don't want them excreting in my yard. They mostly walk into the yard and do not fly into it.
Ducks can fly over fences. If you want to still see the view, the fence should be black.

Eyesight looks through and past black fences but stops at light colored fences.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:42 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Ducks can fly over fences. If you want to still see the view, the fence should be black.

A fence like that would only give the hawks it would attract a place to perch while they wait to snatch a duck.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Those look perfect for my backyard . The other 3 sides are already covered by the neighbors fences, and a gate from my front yard would be an Ideal finish. Most ducks typically fly into the pond here, and walk onto our lawn only after landing upon the pond. That's why I consider this a feasible alternative. Thank you very much Hopes . One or two occasional ducks aren't a problem, But 20 ducks walking across are an issue.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A fence like that would only give the hawks it would attract a place to perch while they wait to snatch a duck.
At least they'd be pooping in one place. But the point of the post was the color for viewing what is beyond. Even chain link fences can be painted black.

To the person who rep'ed me for sharing this because they never knew it. Yeah, I agree it's cool. I learned about it when I owned birds. Black birdcages allow you to view a bird inside the cage, and white birdcages block the view of the bird. The same applies to fence color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House