Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 06:10 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times

Advertisements

My garage doesn't open to the kitchen. It's just a cave. It's barely larger than my car, anyway. I prefer to park outside.

I keep all my junk in the garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 06:19 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
We Millenials look at the homes of Boomers (and Gen X'ers) and think "holy smokes! I'm going to have to clean this out one day...and they'll probably charge me a fee at the dump"

You guys have accumulated sooo much stuff, it is oftentimes obscene. It's just stuff though, junk really. Get rid of it. Sell it if you can, but what you cannot sell (which is 98% of it) needs to be trashed or recycled.

Side note:
"Fitting" that you noticed an unused elliptical machine on Thanksgiving. I found that funny.

Interesting. Stuff that sits in bins or on shelves for years without being used (or even seen) isn't worth anything. It's certainly not worth what the owner paid for it, but many seem to have dreams of one day having a yard/garage sale or of getting a table at the flea market and all of a sudden it'll be sold for beaucoup cash.

Yeah, no problem. Just leave it to the kids and grandkids to dispose of.

And hey, since we've already been gifted the $18 Trillion national debt you guys racked up, what's a little junk in the garage, attic & basement to go along with it? Are we blessed or what?
Do you want some cheese with that whine?

Old 11-28-2015, 08:39 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Default ArHolds my c

We have a two car garage that holds my car, our bicycles on pulleys, a kayak on pulleys, lawn mower, a car top carrier, shop vac, shelving units for garden stuff and DH's tools, a slop sink, old kitchen cabinetry on the wall that is now garbage cabinetry for storage, two small bikes for the grandkids, an REO wagon and a battery operated kid's Mini Cooper. The garage is well organized and there is enough space to park DH's car but it would be tight, so we don't. It's a company car and gets left outside.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:42 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
We Millenials look at the homes of Boomers (and Gen X'ers) and think "holy smokes! I'm going to have to clean this out one day...and they'll probably charge me a fee at the dump"

You guys have accumulated sooo much stuff, it is oftentimes obscene. It's just stuff though, junk really. Get rid of it. Sell it if you can, but what you cannot sell (which is 98% of it) needs to be trashed or recycled.

Side note:
"Fitting" that you noticed an unused elliptical machine on Thanksgiving. I found that funny.

Interesting. Stuff that sits in bins or on shelves for years without being used (or even seen) isn't worth anything. It's certainly not worth what the owner paid for it, but many seem to have dreams of one day having a yard/garage sale or of getting a table at the flea market and all of a sudden it'll be sold for beaucoup cash.

Yeah, no problem. Just leave it to the kids and grandkids to dispose of.

And hey, since we've already been gifted the $18 Trillion national debt you guys racked up, what's a little junk in the garage, attic & basement to go along with it? Are we blessed or what?
Omg I bet you're just the life of the party!

Old 11-28-2015, 09:53 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
House was built in 52 and builder put a Florida room in place of a garage.

I have a basement with the same sq footage of my ground level giving roughly 2500 sq ft of living space. A small work shop got relegated to a catchall room of sorts so my workshop is where I make it; usually outside.

I have a 12x8 shed on the back of the property to house my John Deere rider and other lawn equipment. If I need a garage for repairs and such I have a friend with a large fully equipped pro setup garage with paint booth and everything else you can imagine - 3 of everything. He was part of a NASCAR pit crew and a body fabricator. I have full run of it. My Florida room is packed to the gills with my old office furniture which is going to the dump when I cut down the holly tree next to the door.

I want to build a 3 car garage out back for my old cars. The driveway holds 3 but big Caddies clog it up.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:49 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I went to my neighbor's house yesterday for Thanksgiving and we were sitting in her garage drinking and chatting. I noticed that her garage was full of clutter and she couldn't park her cars in there just like mine is. My neighbor's garage has an elliptical, cheap yard chairs, a table made out of a real stop sign, Halloween and Christmas decorations, a huge freezer, a wall mounted flat screen TV, and boxes of unnamed things. My sister's is the same way, but she can park one car in there by stacking her junk in a dangerously high tower on the right side of the garage. Her garage has tons of kid stuff such as bikes, inflatable kayaks, shoes, various rolling transportation toys, strollers, Christmas decorations, and some lawn equipment.

Our garage is also chock full of the overflowing useless items which characterize much of suburban life, and my wife has never been able to park her car in her garage the entire 18 years she has lived in her home. Our garage has a lot of empty boxes, some power tools, paper plates, paper towels, various cleaning sprays (all purchased from Costco), small kitchen appliances, pet supplies, pet beds and blankets, pet carriers, small furniture items, gardening supplies, tall tool shelves, and RV and camping stuff for an RV she no longer owns. For those homeowners in CD land, what's in your garage? Can you still park your car(s) in there?

'67 Mustang fastback and a '39 IH Farmal Model A.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:01 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
I keep my garage clean as I possibly can, besides a few scorpions here and there, I'm good! Next step is epoxy flooring and cabinets!
Those are some sweet cars! Your red convertible reminds me of my ex-Mil's classic red Ford Torino she had in her garage. Her garage was very tidy and orderly, except for one small (!) problem. She had all her holiday decorations in her attic, a tool bench with various tools hung on neat pegboards out of the way on the side, and she parked her daily driver in there, along with the dilapidated Torino. She wanted to sell the Ford, but my FIL never got around to fixing it up, nor did she send it out to a classic restoration place to get it done, a project she could have easily afforded. She wouldn't get it out of the garage and my FIL couldn't park his car in the garage because she said the Torino would be worth a lot of money after she fixed it up, whenever that was. I was married to my husband 6 years, and it was in the garage the entire time we were married, and who knows how long before that. I never understood that

Old 11-29-2015, 07:12 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I would love to be able to park my car in my garage, and it's a 3-car garage and I have only one car so I should be embarrassed ... except that almost 2 bays of the garage are full of wood pellets, which I use as my primary source of heat. The other bay has my riding mower, shelving for various items like garden pots, and a wall of gardening stuff (at least THAT part of the garage is pretty organized!) ...

At some point I will bump out the garage OR build a lean-to shed on its side and THAT is where the pellets will go. I am looking forward to being able to park the car in the garage at that time!!

Old 11-29-2015, 07:15 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,919 times
This was our 3 car tandem. Even with the large filtration setup and dual 65 gallon water storage tanks for my large saltwater aquarium located inside the house, along with all the kids toys, all my tools and workbench, ladders, bicycles, holiday decorations, spare wood and plumbing supplies, etc we still had plenty of room for my car, my wife's volvo suv, and my motorcycle. The extra third space was nice. Now we're moving to a place with a two car garage. I no longer have the motorcycle and won't have the aquarium equipment but I am determined to eventually get both cars in the garage again. Just going to take some planning and creative use of space!

Old 11-29-2015, 10:01 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
My garage is the same age as my house: close to 80. It is a single-car garage, but is presently holding lawn and garden items, an elderly croquet set, my childhood bicycle, ladders, a manual lawnmower, and various other odds and ends. It was recently painted, but needs some structural work. I do hope to clean out the clutter next spring and get the repairs made - once the main thing "hiding in my garage" - a 'possum - moves out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House