Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 10:07 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times

Advertisements

My 24'x 22' single stall garage is partitioned into three separate areas. I have dozens of electrical outlets and 240 Volt plug ins for a Dryer and an Air conditioner. I have a full size bed, TV and Computer with WiFi in one section and the other half of the garage is partitioned as a metal working area plus woodworking. When I find out IF my homeowners insurance will cover having a small Blacksmith's Forge on my driveway I will be adding that. When I want to sleep in the garage during chilly weather I do my laundry in the house and dry it in the dryer in the garage. The electric clothes dryer is vented into the garage and that provides enough heat to say toasty warm even when temps get down to the twenties. Low humidity in the Nebraska winters keep any moisture issues with my tools from being a problem. I have an older pickup that I leave outside. The only BAD thing about this setup is I haven't found a Women that doesn't think I am nuts for sleeping in the garage. I would make an exception for the "right" lady though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 01:31 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I couldn't park my car in the garage even if it were completely clear of stuff. I can get the Mazda 3 into the garage, but can't open the car door to get out. The garage is only as wide as the standard size garage door.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
We have our car in our garage. Well, one anyway. My husband has a big truck. We can and do put it in the garage if there's severe weather forecast, but it's very crowded like that so I don't like it.

We have a small fridge in there, a standing tool box, and a work bench area - there's a recessed area made specifically for that reason in the garage. We also have a small closet that has some shelves in it out there. We have our yard tools hung up on the garage walls.

Overall, we keep it very neat and I park in there with plenty of room to spare.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:57 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I couldn't park my car in the garage even if it were completely clear of stuff. I can get the Mazda 3 into the garage, but can't open the car door to get out. The garage is only as wide as the standard size garage door.
My grandmother had this issue. She drove a big boat car, and even though her garage was free of clutter, she had a difficult time parking her car inside due to some idiot modifying the garage before she bought the house. This person eliminated the second car parking area and chopped up one side of the garage to make a weird tiny hallway leading to the kitchen. It made the whole garage rather useless. She could park the car on the other side of it if she was very careful (and she sideswiped her car on more than one occasion), but when she had a passenger such as myself, I was unable to open the passenger side door

Old 11-30-2015, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
When we bought our home I had one requirement. Transportation devices had to fit in the garage. Cars, motorcycles, bikes.

We had cabinets built into the garage where everything is stored. It is a thing of beauty.

So here it is five years later. Do we store stuff on the floor? Yes, our dog has his sleeping area in there. The floor has turned into a studio so my kids can practice TaiKwonDo. I hung a big screen in there. Next year we will be finishing the garage, putting in a nice floor, installing a ceiling. We want a finished look. It is still a car garage but one we want to place a classic car in or a Porsche. I have not decided yet. At this time we are working on the plans for the space.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:09 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
I'm a car guy....so the garage is my workshop. If it's not a tool, or something needed to work on a car, it doesn't get stored in there

Old 11-30-2015, 09:19 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
I have a two car garage with attached carport. In the garage is a 67 mustang and 86 land cruiser along with a riding mower and my tools. Nothing else.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:11 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
We Millenials look at the homes of Boomers (and Gen X'ers) and think "holy smokes! I'm going to have to clean this out one day...and they'll probably charge me a fee at the dump"

You guys have accumulated sooo much stuff, it is oftentimes obscene. It's just stuff though, junk really. Get rid of it. Sell it if you can, but what you cannot sell (which is 98% of it) needs to be trashed or recycled.

Side note:
"Fitting" that you noticed an unused elliptical machine on Thanksgiving. I found that funny.

Interesting. Stuff that sits in bins or on shelves for years without being used (or even seen) isn't worth anything. It's certainly not worth what the owner paid for it, but many seem to have dreams of one day having a yard/garage sale or of getting a table at the flea market and all of a sudden it'll be sold for beaucoup cash.

Yeah, no problem. Just leave it to the kids and grandkids to dispose of.

And hey, since we've already been gifted the $18 Trillion national debt you guys racked up, what's a little junk in the garage, attic & basement to go along with it? Are we blessed or what?
Wow, bitter much? Sorry to inconvenience you with them living their own lives the way they want. Maybe you will luck out and their house will burn down, getting rid of the junk and providing free cremation services as well. Win / Win!

Old 11-30-2015, 10:12 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
We have built in shelves on both sides of our garage - so we do have stuff stored in there, but we still park our two cars in there every night with no problems. We also have a deep freezer and spare fridge in there as well.

For the past few years I have wanted to clean the whole thing out and get rid of stuff, but my pack-rat husband doesn't want to get rid of any of it (even though we haven't looked at or used 80% of what's in there since we moved into the house ten years ago), so I guess I'll have to wait until I'm a widow...

Several people on our street use their garages as man caves, with sofas, tvs, pool tables, bars, recliners. During the summer they open up their garage doors and hang out there all weekend long.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:31 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
We Millenials look at the homes of Boomers (and Gen X'ers) and think "holy smokes! I'm going to have to clean this out one day...and they'll probably charge me a fee at the dump"

You guys have accumulated sooo much stuff, it is oftentimes obscene. It's just stuff though, junk really. Get rid of it. Sell it if you can, but what you cannot sell (which is 98% of it) needs to be trashed or recycled.

Side note:
"Fitting" that you noticed an unused elliptical machine on Thanksgiving. I found that funny.

Interesting. Stuff that sits in bins or on shelves for years without being used (or even seen) isn't worth anything. It's certainly not worth what the owner paid for it, but many seem to have dreams of one day having a yard/garage sale or of getting a table at the flea market and all of a sudden it'll be sold for beaucoup cash.

Yeah, no problem. Just leave it to the kids and grandkids to dispose of.

And hey, since we've already been gifted the $18 Trillion national debt you guys racked up, what's a little junk in the garage, attic & basement to go along with it? Are we blessed or what?
Where do you think all that stuff in our basements came from? It's our parents' and grandparents' crap...oops, I mean heirlooms. You dread what we've accumulated? Do you have any idea what's hiding in the garages and attics of your generation's grandparents that has yet to be sorted and culled? I just had a reminder of what awaits my husband and me when we visited his (Silent Generation) parents' house for Thanksgiving. It's horrifying. Did I mention my husband is an only child? Additionally, my grandfather is still living independently. He's part of the much vaunted Greatest Generation. You don't even want me to start in about the amount of stuff that's accumulated in his basement. Fifty-year-old vacuum tubes, anyone? He's got drawers of them! Fortunately, my parents' belongings have been ruthlessly down-sized, because they just moved into a two-bedroom apartment, and I live too far away for it to have been convenient for them to pass anything down to me that doesn't fit in a suitcase. My siblings haven't been quite so lucky. So you can stop your yapping about the awfulness of Boomers and X-ers. We're also on the receiving end of an avalanche of family "treasures."

Last edited by randomparent; 11-30-2015 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House