Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:36 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times

Advertisements

1. Two cars
2. Five bikes, hanging neatly from a ceiling-mounted storage unit
3. A wall of cabinets for camping gear, extensions cords, car cleaning equipment and lawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 11:43 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,396 times
I have a WWII tent, a Long Island Press Newspaper boy bag, a fishing net from 1930, a brass blowtorch, fish tank holder that for some reason was on roof of garage from three owners ago and a hoola hoop among matresses, pool supply stuff, car parts, boxes of books you name it.

My garage the largest car that could fit in is maybe a mini cooper or a Beetle. Neither of my cars would fit in my garage.

I actually had a two seater convertible I used to put in their for winter, if top was up I climb out the window as I could not open door all the way.

I have no basement or attic. And cars dont rust anymore, why keep them in my only storage place in house.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:54 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Ours is a garage in name only -- you can get your car in, but you can't open the doors, the structure is too skinny. Made for Model-Ts.

So it's a huge storage unit for all of hubby's ebay merch. Amusingly enough, every time he goes out there (which is almost daily) one of the cats is out there cooling it away from everyone... so there's a hole somewhere, but he can't find it....

Old 11-30-2015, 11:56 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,305,299 times
Two, 1971 MOPARS take up quite a bit of the large (part of reason I bought the now 50+ year old house!), two car garage.

Alot of stuff OP mentions are kept in attic.

Fishing/boating and other equipment take up more. Thats is what garages are for.

Mike

Last edited by Seafood Junky; 11-30-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 11-30-2015, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Where do you think all that stuff in our basements came from? It's our parents' and grandparents' crap...oops, I mean heirlooms. You dread what we've accumulated? Do you have any idea what's hiding in the garages and attics of your generation's grandparents that has yet to be sorted and culled? I just had a reminder of what awaits my husband and me when we visited his (Silent Generation) parents' house for Thanksgiving. It's horrifying. Did I mention my husband is an only child? Additionally, my grandfather is still living independently. He's part of the much vaunted Greatest Generation. You don't even want me to start in about the amount of stuff that's accumulated in his basement. Fifty-year-old vacuum tubes, anyone? He's got drawers of them! Fortunately, my parents' belongings have been ruthlessly down-sized, because they just moved into a two-bedroom apartment, and I live too far away for it to have been convenient for them to pass anything down to me that doesn't fit in a suitcase. My siblings haven't been quite so lucky. So you can stop your yapping about the awfulness of Boomers and X-ers. We're also on the receiving end of an avalanche of family "treasures."
LOL, While my parents have never had a basement, as they don't build them in our area and where they moved to just over 12 years ago does not have a basement, they have managed to get rid of items that were not needed.

Back in 2003 my parents decided to cash out, as in sell the home on the coast and head inland to a less costly area. A month before their move they rented a roll off dumpster and started tossing items that were of no value. Other things they sold or gave away. We ended up with their Piano.

Since that time they have stopped accumulating worthless items. They have a comfortable home that is clutter free. My dad still has his tools and they have their library from the old home. Of course some furniture ended up moving from California to Arizona. No clutter though and still clutter free. LOL

Old 11-30-2015, 01:10 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I recently saw pictures of an amazing home built at an airpark. The home is a 1,600 or so square foot place that hides a 2,500 square foot hangar. You would never know that the home is a hangar as well. The walls open up creating when opened what looks like three garage areas. One real garage area is the opening in the middle as the outer openings are for the two airplanes that the family owns.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
LOL, While my parents have never had a basement, as they don't build them in our area and where they moved to just over 12 years ago does not have a basement, they have managed to get rid of items that were not needed.

Back in 2003 my parents decided to cash out, as in sell the home on the coast and head inland to a less costly area. A month before their move they rented a roll off dumpster and started tossing items that were of no value. Other things they sold or gave away. We ended up with their Piano.

Since that time they have stopped accumulating worthless items. They have a comfortable home that is clutter free. My dad still has his tools and they have their library from the old home. Of course some furniture ended up moving from California to Arizona. No clutter though and still clutter free. LOL
One can only hope my in-laws will come to their senses, but I'm not going to hold my breath. My MIL is a collector. So is my FIL, but at least he seems to recognize the burden he's going to leave his son (and me). He's slowly started selling things off; however, it would be great if he'd pick up the pace. My grandfather is very elderly, so we're definitely going to have to hire 1-800-GOT-JUNK when his time comes. I am dreading his death and not just because I will miss him terribly.

I have to admit that I resent this constant drumbeat of how awful the Boomers & X-ers are compared to the Millennials, who think they know EVERYTHING. Please tell me we weren't so insufferable when we were their age! Who am I kidding? Of course we were. And so were our parents and their parents before them. The only reason I don't lose my **** over this nonsense is my confidence that their day with know-it-all children is coming. Sooner than they can imagine.

One look in our parents' and grandparents' homes is proof enough that we're not the only ones with a lot of crap. I'd very gladly chuck 75% of this stuff with no second thoughts whatsoever, but with family heirlooms come the easily hurt feelings of those who've gifted them. As such, I carefully pack everything away to be brought out for show when the relatives come to visit.

I fantasize about having a giant bonfire when my in-laws are gone, but since my MIL seems to have formaldehyde running in her veins, she'll probably out-live me. Hmm. Maybe that's not such a bad thing. Then SHE can deal with cleaning out of my basement all those "treasures" she's guilted me into keeping.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-30-2015 at 03:41 PM..

Old 11-30-2015, 03:48 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
One can only hope my in-laws will come to their senses, but I'm not going to hold my breath. My MIL is a collector. So is my FIL, but at least he seems to recognize the burden he's going to leave his son (and me). He's slowly started selling things off; however, it would be great if he'd pick up the pace. My grandfather is very elderly, so we're definitely going to have to hire 1-800-GOT-JUNK when his time comes. I am dreading his death and not just because I will miss him terribly.

I have to admit that I resent this constant drumbeat of how awful the Boomers & X-ers are compared to the Millennials, who think they know EVERYTHING. Please tell me we weren't so insufferable when we were their age! Who am I kidding? Of course we were. And so were our parents and their parents before them. The only reason I don't lose my **** over this nonsense is my confidence that their day with know-it-all children is coming. Sooner than they can imagine.

One look in our parents' and grandparents' homes is proof enough that we're not the only ones with a lot of crap. I'd very gladly chuck 75% of this stuff with no second thoughts whatsoever, but with family heirlooms come the easily hurt feelings of those who've gifted them. As such, I carefully pack everything away to be brought out for show when the relatives come to visit.

I fantasize about having a giant bonfire when my in-laws are gone, but since my MIL seems to have formaldehyde running in her veins, she'll probably out-live me. Hmm. Maybe that's not such a bad thing. Then SHE can deal with cleaning out of my basement all those "treasures" she's guilted me into keeping.
Two words... Estate Sale. Wipe hands, done.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:33 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Two words... Estate Sale. Wipe hands, done.
If I outlive her, you can count on it!

One thing that seems to be lost on Millennials like inching west is that those of us in middle age are sandwiched between competing generations, meaning that our homes naturally become a repository for other people's stuff. Our parents are constantly sending hand-me-downs our way (obstensibly for the grandkids, who don't want them, but say they do to be kind), and our young adult children never quite get around to moving out completely. The hand-tatted doilies...and yearbooks...and silver...and trophies...and old furniture collects wherever there's room, despite our constant admonitions to come and get it, until we finally get fed up and call for a roll-off. But just you wait, young Jedis, your day of reckoning approaches, and when it arrives, I'll be sitting in a nursing home chuckling at your well-deserved comeuppance. However, if you are committed to fighting the onslaught, I wish you luck. You're made of tougher stuff than I am.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-30-2015 at 06:01 PM..

Old 11-30-2015, 06:51 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,486 times
We're in our 40's with one and four year olds, parents about 70.
NONE of their stuff coming my way. When they don't want it, they throw it out. Lucky me I guess. And sometimes not so lucky... i wish i had some of my kid stuff like my matchbox cars that got sold at a garage sale after I left for college. :P
Haven't had to deal with my own's kids stuff yet... except all the toys we're getting rid of as we speak, getting ready for a move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House