Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2015, 01:33 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,831 times

Advertisements

Years ago we moved into a home that had been occupied by the last remaining elderly daughters of the original builder. They left a lot behind, including a set of "The Book of Knowledge" circa 1940, a 10 volume set of nursery rhymes and fairy tales,some original Nancy Drew books and copies of Treasure Island, Robinson Caruso . I spent the next 10 years reading through 3 bookcases full of books. For a nerd it was nirvana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 04:58 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,156 times
In college I found a whole bottle of Oxycontin on the floor of the pantry it was unlabeled bottle and you best believe I was on pillfinder.com in a matter of seconds...I can imagine my eyes were as big as saucers when I saw what they were.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:14 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

The washing machine in the kitchen was a nice touch
Ah, memories. The house my parents bought new in the 1950s had space for a washing machine in the kitchen, as did every other house in our tract. There were no provisions for clothes dryers. They were modest homes, and I guess the builders didn't want to pay to run hot & cold plumbing all the way into the utility rooms, which were pretty tiny anyway. Since I grew up with it, I never thought it was weird having a clothes washer in the kitchen, but it's funny to think about today. Fortunately, my mom never cooked and washed our dirty clothes at the same time.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:54 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
Since I grew up with it, I never thought it was weird having a clothes washer in the kitchen, but it's funny to think about today.
in the last few years i have seen in a couple of homes that my sons have been in as renters, the stacked-on-top-of-each-other washer and dryer in the bathroom. I really like that, actually, because wet towels and dirty clothes can go right into the washer; and when the dryer is running it helps keep the bathroom warm, and if someone wants to have warm dry fluffed towels for when they step out of the shower....voila!

Old 12-25-2015, 10:09 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
My current 1927 house still has an old water heater in the attic, as well as one of the original 5-paneled doors. I can't get them down the pull-down stairs. I guess the water heater was put there before the back porch was converted to a utility room in the 50's or later (thank heavens), although it's still a stupid place to put it. I've found intact 1920's chinaware in the yard as well as old bottles, an old Noxzema jar, and a folded metal tobacco tin. The original garage had window sash weights, a boat propeller, one canoe paddle, and a lot of old tools and tins of old house repair preparations. My back yard also still has the original oyster shell sidewalk installed by the waterman/ship's carpenter builder.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:22 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
like unwashed dishes or magazines , anything you didnt expect to find in the house when you moved in.

We found hundreds of clean (fortunately) milk jugs under the basement stairs. It was stuffed with them.

Later we found R rated pictures of one of the previous owners kids' and their SO that had been stored behind a bathroom shower stall in the basement when we remodeled.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:39 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,058 times
In military housing at Cannon Air Force Base in New Mexico, the year 2001:

There was a problem with flies constantly storming our covered outdoor entranceway. I eventually picked up on a constant foul odor there.

One day I was in a mood to do some landscaping, and on either side of the sidewalk that led to our front door were dirt plots with potential for gardening. So I got busy clearing out rocks, pebbles, and unfertile dirt...and in one spot the dirt was looser than anywhere else, it was in a perfect square shape, directly nestled against the house.

So I kept clearing dirt, and as I dug a few inches down, a plastic white trash bag appeared. The foul smell intensified...oh my god, a previous tennant must have buried something there.

I stopped what I was doing and tried to find an authority to call...I decided to not let my imagination go too wild although I was thinking "possibly a dead baby!" and instead assumed someone had buried a deceased housepet, so I decided to call the base animal control (not sure why I chose that, but it was the only animal-related on-base service I could find. In retrospect I should've erred on the side of any possible scenario and called the police.)

The person who answered the phone at animal control didn't seem to care about what I was telling him, and I never heard back from them. I had other stressful things in my life going on at the time, and ended up moving out of that house a few weeks later, so I never did find out who buried what there. But it smelled so bad, and the flies, omg!

Old 12-25-2015, 12:08 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
Quote:

When I lived in an apartment, I had a portable washer that hooked up to the sink-and drained into the sink-so yeah, I had a washer in the kitchen.

Cat

Old 12-25-2015, 03:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:

I grew up in a mid-century ranch that had a washing machine in the kitchen. It was very common in So Cal.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-25-2015 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 07:52 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,103,361 times
I had to remove and fix the control knob in the bathtub and found string wrapped around and around where an O-ring should have been.

I also have a cement platform in the basement (in the utility room) where the washer and dryer should be. I don't understand this. I had to put the washer directly on the floor (because I'm short and NEVER would have been able to reach in if it was on the platform). The dryer is up on the platform, so that I can reach right in to get the clothes. I can only figure that this platform would be handy for front-loaders, but I think that it was installed long before front-loaders were popular. (The house is about 70 years old.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House