Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:08 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times

Advertisements

Boy where to start......

When we did the initial walkthrough of our house it looked like it belonged in Home & Garden, which hooked us. Nice and neat, everything spotless, etc... But I never could get this odd feeling out of my head that I had seen the house before.

When it was time for closing we were on vacation so our Realtor had POA to close for us. Pulling up in our driveway, the grass was 4 ft tall, pool was green, garbage was stacked up against the garage door, and the back door had been left wide open for over a week. As we were getting out we realized my wife knew the neighbors on both sides and we found out that the woman sold it because her husband had been kicked out of the neighborhood for being a sex offender (peeping tom). I then realized I had seen the house a couple of times on the local news years prior.

There was cat hair about 2" deep in a perfect rectangle in the size of the bed in the master bedroom, food smeared in the living room carpet, etc.... We made our Realtor hire a cleaning company since she neglected to do a final walkthrough.

As I got into the attic I found a cot, a few dirty dishes and cups, and dirty clothes. Apparently the husband was sneaking into the house and hiding out in the attic when people came by looking for him. About 6 mos later we received an unmarked package and when we opened it, 3 garage door opener remotes. As soon as I pressed a button we heard the door come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 11:42 AM

335 posts, read 620,344 times
Fun reading all these responses!

My in-laws house in NJ has a washing machine in the kitchen. Always thought it was odd, but it's a small house, and I don't know where else it would have gone. I think it was built in the late 1960's.

We've been our SoCal house 3 years this month. First resale we ever bought, so it was interesting and annoying to see what was left behind:

- Balled up, half burnt sock in the chandelier in the foyer
- Plastic toys in the fireplace, in one piece, so fireplace hadn't been used in awhile
- Latches on all the bedroom/bathroom doors up high, and only accessible from the outside of the room. (Locking someone in, or keeping someone out???)
- In the cabinet above the fridge, some wine goblets and a cardboard box filled with old manuals from the people who lived in the house before the previous owners. Also included were welcome letters from some children on the street to the new neighbors. Cute, especially when one of the letters was written by a neighbor's daughter who is in jail for dealing drugs and other assorted crimes. Sad.
- Bras and socks behind the closet drawers
- Fridge/freezer in garage that had onion skins in the crisper, and what looked like a whole container of chocolate ice cream spilled in the freezer.
- There are supposedly safes in the floor under the carpet in our closet. Haven't ventured into these yet because the carpet has to be ripped out, as the closet system was installed on top of the closet and it's not just a simple pull up the carpet and put back down.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:53 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Boy where to start......

When we did the initial walkthrough of our house it looked like it belonged in Home & Garden, which hooked us. Nice and neat, everything spotless, etc... But I never could get this odd feeling out of my head that I had seen the house before.

When it was time for closing we were on vacation so our Realtor had POA to close for us. Pulling up in our driveway, the grass was 4 ft tall, pool was green, garbage was stacked up against the garage door, and the back door had been left wide open for over a week. As we were getting out we realized my wife knew the neighbors on both sides and we found out that the woman sold it because her husband had been kicked out of the neighborhood for being a sex offender (peeping tom). I then realized I had seen the house a couple of times on the local news years prior.

There was cat hair about 2" deep in a perfect rectangle in the size of the bed in the master bedroom, food smeared in the living room carpet, etc.... We made our Realtor hire a cleaning company since she neglected to do a final walkthrough.

As I got into the attic I found a cot, a few dirty dishes and cups, and dirty clothes. Apparently the husband was sneaking into the house and hiding out in the attic when people came by looking for him. About 6 mos later we received an unmarked package and when we opened it, 3 garage door opener remotes. As soon as I pressed a button we heard the door come up.
I'm confused how it went from one extreme to the other that quickly and without you realizing it.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:10 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Nothing at all! That's the joy of building your own home

Old 01-10-2016, 03:56 PM

671 posts, read 901,302 times
A homemade sextape of the owner and what I imagine to be her ex-husand/ex-boyfriend. It was a VCR tape left in a dresser in the crawlspace. (They didn't remove two dressers in the crawlspace and there was also a broken TV hidden behind the shed.)

Edit: Yes, I watched it.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:34 PM

34 posts, read 71,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathergal View Post
I've seen the episode of "Forensic Files" that had the pregnant lady in the barrel. So sad for that poor woman.
I was reading through all of these threads (which are very entertaining btw) and kept thinking 'why didn't anyone comment on the poor dead pregnant lady in the barrel in the attic??? I would be so distraught by finding it that I don't know if I could live in that house!

Old 01-11-2016, 05:40 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,263,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Gallon glass jars full of urine from a homeless and mentally ill person squatting in the cellar.
Perhaps the squatter was channeling Hennig Brand:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hennig_Brand

Old 09-13-2016, 12:32 PM

22 posts, read 17,749 times
Spiders ,......

Old 09-21-2016, 06:18 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I'm confused how it went from one extreme to the other that quickly and without you realizing it.

Well,

Once we made the offer we were busy packing up the old house. It sold and closing got delayed, so we moved in with the inlaws. With our work schedules we didn't get another opportunity to go see it as we were scheduled to be out of the country when closing finally arrived. We signed P of A to the Realtor who would perform the final walkthrough and make sure everything was as we agreed upon and the house was clean. She never did it. She got tied up at another appointment and never made the final walkthrough. They went to closing sight unseen. She seemed as surprised as us when we got home two days after closing and the house was in shambles. She paid (and even helped) to clean the house back up and the seller's agent paid to have the pool company come out and clean the pool. It was as green as the grass (almost looked like pea soup).

It was a totally different house from the time we made the offer and when we took possession. I didn't go into complete detail but we ended up having to pay to rip all the carpet out and replace the flooring as well as fix holes in the walls, paint, etc....

Old 09-22-2016, 06:53 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Good stories. I remember reading about a guy in Queens who decided to replace the concrete basement floor and turned up a skeleton and then another and another. He called police, and they came and found evidence of old rotted wood from coffins and determined the skeletons were probably 200 years old. His house was likely built over a family burial plot from the days when Queens was farmland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House