Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 04:43 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
as a part of the main house (like part of the basement) or its a separate dug out shelter in the yard?

Part of the basement. This was a rental, so if it had been in the yard, we likely never would have seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 06:50 PM

23 posts, read 79,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I didn't experience this, but another new homeowner did. A guy who just moved into an old house in upstate NY found a sealed 50 gallon drum in the attic or basement (I can't remember). It was extremely heavy and he was only able to get it out with the help of a couple of friends. When they got it out, they noticed it had a horrible smell so they called police. The police opened it and discovered the corpse of a pregnant woman preserved in formaldeyde, who was murdered 40 years before
I've seen the episode of "Forensic Files" that had the pregnant lady in the barrel. So sad for that poor woman.

As for my house, I found an electric razor and a box full of cheap costume jewelry in the vanity beneath the bathroom sink. And when I remodeled the kitchen there were several pictures and a baby's bib that were found under/behind the old cabinets. Nothing super exciting.

If anyone had bought the house I lived in with my family until I was 12, they would have found about a hundred old romance novels that were my mom's. But it just became one of the old abandoned farm houses that are all over the Plains States. New owners of the land tore down the house a few years ago.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:36 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,970 times
It wasn't "in" my house but outside. I found a coax cable laying on the ground going up to a tree. I could see an antenna in it. What they did was get on a extension ladder and climb as high as they can go, then extended two 8 foot boards nailed together and metal antenna connected to the top to push it in the branches to get the antenna as high as it can go. It must be a good 50 or 60 feet high. I put an new end on the coax cable, and I tried connecting a TV to it, but I couldn't get any channels, the line must be damaged somewhere along it's path. I was really curious to see how many channels I could get with a 60 high foot antenna, I have Cable, but it was a good idea, must have been really dangerous to accomplish.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:48 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
It wasn't "in" my house but outside. I found a coax cable laying on the ground going up to a tree. I could see an antenna in it. What they did was get on a extension ladder and climb as high as they can go, then extended two 8 foot boards nailed together and metal antenna connected to the top to push it in the branches to get the antenna as high as it can go. It must be a good 50 or 60 feet high. I put an new end on the coax cable, and I tried connecting a TV to it, but I couldn't get any channels, the line must be damaged somewhere along it's path. I was really curious to see how many channels I could get with a 60 high foot antenna, I have Cable, but it was a good idea, must have been really dangerous to accomplish.
If you tried in the last 5 years or so an old antenna wouldn't work. Since Over the air TV converted from analog to dgital signals a few years back none of the old antennas (like rabbit ears) will work. Digital signals are also designed not to carry as far so some areas that used to be able to pull in weak signals from distant stations could not get digital signals from those same stations. The 'tree antenna' may have been abandoned when the changeover happened.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
If you tried in the last 5 years or so an old antenna wouldn't work. Since Over the air TV converted from analog to dgital signals a few years back none of the old antennas (like rabbit ears) will work. Digital signals are also designed not to carry as far so some areas that used to be able to pull in weak signals from distant stations could not get digital signals from those same stations. The 'tree antenna' may have been abandoned when the changeover happened.

That simply isn't true.

I still have my old outdoor antenna hooked up and use it when the satellite goes out during severe storms.

Since my antenna is about 50' high, I can pick up a lot of stations, just as many as before the changeover, and the picture is PERFECT.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:23 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
I have rabbit ears in my house only about 8' up and I get a 100 channels. Granted, 89 of them are in another language and not watchable, but I do get them.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
The house I grew up in has the washer in the kitchen. Still does--my parents still own it as a rental. We hung clothes on the turning clothes hanger out in the back yard. That was fun, you could hold onto one of the metal arms and have your brother turn the clothes hanger around like a hanging merry-go-round. *Just do not get caught...bad!*

That house is in So CA, built 1950's. Every house on the block is that way.
Yep. It's so common in So Cal I was shocked someone found it odd.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:56 AM

320 posts, read 512,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
That simply isn't true.

I still have my old outdoor antenna hooked up and use it when the satellite goes out during severe storms.

Since my antenna is about 50' high, I can pick up a lot of stations, just as many as before the changeover, and the picture is PERFECT.
The antenna will still function but you need a digital box for an older TV to be able to use the signal.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:50 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
The antenna will still function but you need a digital box for an older TV to be able to use the signal.
That's true.

On the older TV in my bedroom I have a digital box, on the newer TV in the living room I do not.

The old antenna works for both.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:19 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,485 times
Gallon glass jars full of urine from a homeless and mentally ill person squatting in the cellar. Or maybe a disconnected sewage vent pipe that the inspector failed to notice. Or the dead rat under the fridge. Hmm. Probably the squatter. Yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House