Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 06:33 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,992,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Having read a number of threads like these, what we need is a new system where we pick our neighbors based on mutual likes and dislikes. They could use some type of E-Harmony dating software to fill up new neighborhoods with like minded people. They could do property exchanges in existing neighborhoods where many of the neighbors are not happy with each other, and eventually enforce new zones where certain behavior is not tolerated within the boundary of that zone. Violators will have their homes sold out from under them, and given the money from the sale to buy another home outside the zone.

I think this type of segregation could be done without violating any civil rights laws. This would be based on behavior, not race or religion. By asking the right questions of each applicant, you make it known to them how important it is to answer truthfully so you don't get kicked out of your new neighborhood. This system could also be used for apartment complexes, trailer courts, new tracts for tiny homes where only one or two people could live in each home. You have kids, out you go, and no overnight visitors.

Micro neighborhoods could be created, custom tailored just for those that hate noise of any kind, others for people that don't mind barking dogs and loud noise. You could have restrictions on the number of cars and people allowed to occupy each house. Some neighborhoods, lawn care could be optional, others, a shaggy lawn could get you booted. You could have zones where there are color schemes for the houses, where they must be painted every 20 years and siding must be replaced when it fails. You could get lots of participation from the neighbors and vote out people who are trashy and don't obey the code.
Those are all really bad ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 08:09 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I have a few neighbors who are obnoxious (6 cars parked on the street 24/7, never maintain their yard, marital or other family issues that spill outside the house, etc), and there were a few at my last house too. I don't want to sound snobby, but I would expect less if we lived in a lower income area.

We've talked about moving a 3rd time, a small reason being the neighbors. After talking to some friends about my neighbors, they all had their own story about a crazy neighbor.

Is there anyone who lives in close proximity to a lot of houses who has absolutely no complaints about any of the neighbors? Does the perfect neighborhood exist? Sometimes I want to move, and sometimes I think we should just stick it out for another decade because it could be much worse.
there are too many things in life to be concerned with that i dont see myself caring about someone else's house.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:19 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,253,517 times
Neighbors come and go. We lived in the same house (South Denver) for over 30 years saw another interesting thing happen from rising home and rent prices.

Somewhat young families had originally occupied the homes in general and we watched a bunch of those kids grow up. But.. the price to live in Denver went up way faster than wages did so a lot of those kids could not afford to live even remotely close to where they grew up and many ended up as young adults still living in their parents homes. Not a big deal but now everyone has a car or two per family and now cars were being parked all over the street. House across the street at one time had the driveway filled, the street in front of the house filled and had cars that had to park in front of others houses. All were family or married into the family.

All nice kids, young adults but if you have a problem with cars parked on the street, you were going to spend a lot of time stressed out.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:21 PM

1,185 posts, read 751,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Those are all really bad ideas.
No ****. I’d rank those ideas somewhere right behind petting a flaming dog and eating yellow snow.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:02 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,133,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's an excellent idea mofford. Don't buy a house in just any neighborhood, buy a way of life. HOAs and 55+ neighborhoods only begin to touch these issues. My neighbor has a Harley and only uses it about every six weeks. Three close neighbors have dogs. I hear them bark daily, but never for very long. I live 30 miles from an airport, but think that I'm on some sort of alternate flight path. None of these things bother me because the noise is intermittent throughout the day, and it's extremely quiet at night.
Glad you like my E-Harmony neighbor match concept, and glad you found a good neighborhood where people are considerate. Yes, an HOA isn't good enough, and HOA's often have unreasonable membership fees, with the "management body" often not doing their job right. Just have some "on call" person from the neighborhood (take turns volunteering time) go out and patrol the zone, interview neighbors, confirm complaints made against an offender, and observe the condition of every house in the zone, making note of what needs to be done. Give violators a fine and warning, if they do not correct the problem, kick them out (as you would have to agree to these terms before buying there).

I think those who do not like my E-Harmony plan, are feeling the fear of what it might be like to live in a neighborhood of people just like them. Most of the problems come from the attention seeker types, the "look at me, listen to me, smell me all the time type people. Those who enjoy being hated and want to be the spoiler, or shake things up all the time, just because they can.

Example, the people with bass thumper in their car, they do it to be offensive attention hoes. Lets go back to the 1920's, why did they enact laws to make cars have a muffler for the exhaust? Because it was so damn noisy everyone agreed this law should be passed and we've stood by that for 100 years. Why switch back? Make bass thumpers illegal, the cops should be handing out tickets like candy for use of these things, people crank them up suddenly when you're stopped in a line of traffic, and it startles people and causes grief and possible accidents. They park in front of people's houses or in the parking lot of an apartment, hospital, nursing home, and thump 100 people with it. It should be illegal to sell them, install them, use them, or own them. A bass thumper has no use whatsoever, other than to offend.

It's not bad to let your dog bark for a minute or two, to let you know he wants back inside, but it's very bad to let it bark for hours on end. Not that bad to fire up a motorcycle in the afternoon, and within a minute you take off and leave the neighborhood to enjoy your bike. Very bad to sit there for 20 minutes while you gun it to warm it up, and have other biker buddies come over and do the same. Some things everybody has to make some noise for, like mowing the lawn, but not early in the morning, nor during dinner hours of 5 to 7 PM, you do those things in the afternoon, or pay someone to do them for you, if your schedule does not permit. Something like 10 AM to 5 PM, and 7 to 9 PM in mid summer. Must use electric trimming equipment such as, weed eater, hedge trimmer, electric chain saw, only the lawn mower can be gas powered.

Oh, and the tiny home tracts, when I said one or two people per home, I meant one person homes on one side, and two person homes on the other, with a 300 foot strip between, so when the couples start fighting with each other, the singles won't hear it, lol. Tiny homes will naturally provoke a lot of fights among couples, gotta have that community forklift ready to go every day, with easy to unplug utilities on the tiny home.

You could also have "social" type neighborhoods for the people who specifically want good relationships with other neighbors, where they invite people over, have dinner, play cards or whatever, and don't want introvert hermits living around who do not want those things. Making friends might be the most important thing on their application, send 'em to the right place, with like minded people. What's wrong with that? Maybe some people might want to live around other people who want to celebrate Christmas by putting up lights and decorations, where every house puts up X-mas lights. Would that be a problem? You could have sports themes, political themes, so the streets could be named after famous conservatives or liberals. The possibilities are endless.

I think one of the most important steps in my E-Harmony concept, when you want to buy a home in a particular zone, you must meet and have lengthy conversations with all your new neighbors, before you move in. You check them out, they check you out, if the majority approve of you, you're in.

Last edited by mofford; 02-25-2020 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 07:29 PM

1,185 posts, read 751,390 times
The lawsuits would be endless too. That’s literally one of the dumbest, most illogical, least likely to succeed, ideas I’ve ever heard. It’s borderline certifiable.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:13 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
I guess I've been lucky in my 66 years because I have lived in about a half-dozen different apartment buildings and owned about a half-dozen homes which I have occupied, and with only one exception*, I have had only relatively minor problems, which were (1) cigarette smoke from an adjoining patio in an apartment building that would sometimes permeate into our home, and (2) an adjoining yard that had a loudly barking dog that wouldn't stop barking whenever we came outside to our yard.

*The worst problem we had was when we lived in a resort community with many summer and weekend homes, our neighbors across the street would sometimes have very loud parties until 2 a.m. even during the middle of the week, and my husband and I had jobs, so that interfered with our sleep. (However, we did not complain because it WAS a resort area, and so we figured it was our fault for moving there.)

Last edited by katharsis; 02-26-2020 at 06:33 AM..

Old 02-26-2020, 07:49 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
No issues with neighbors but there is an abandoned home next door that is in the foreclosure process that is becoming an eyesore and of course noone shovels so I do. There is a school nearby and I take the dogs for walks so not entirely benevolent of me. Apparently it takes a year or so to go through foreclosure here in Illinois. in that time though without heat all winter the house will be a major wreck with broken pipes and flooding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House