Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 12:54 PM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
[QUOTE=phonelady61;56934884]I warn everyone here do not give a neighbors dog a sleeping pill or any other kind of pill .
Of course you do!
Because if that dog dies you can and will be held liable for the dogs death and it some parts of the country that is jail time .[B]Please just walk around and ask the folks to please keep the dog inside or take the dog on a long walk before they leave for work jeeze .

I walked around and talked to them repeatedly, as did the neighbors, and the police. The lady who lived there said that this was her daughter's dog so we would all just have to be "understanding". This went on for 6-8 years and as I mentioned, my next-door neighbors MOVED because of this dog.

Good luck proving who gave the dog a pill if it died. All of the neighbors hoped it would die and verbalized that repeatedly. The "rights" of a nuisance dog do NOT trump the rights of humans to have peace and quiet in their own homes.[/quote]

Was there no barking ordinance that could be enforced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 01:15 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
It's actually code in my city that you can't place it on the front of the house, but I'm not petty enough to report it after the guy put holes in his roof.
Many of those local codes violate FCC regulations and are unenforceable.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:19 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
[/b]

I walked around and talked to them repeatedly, as did the neighbors, and the police. The lady who lived there said that this was her daughter's dog so we would all just have to be "understanding". This went on for 6-8 years and as I mentioned, my next-door neighbors MOVED because of this dog.

Good luck proving who gave the dog a pill if it died. All of the neighbors hoped it would die and verbalized that repeatedly. The "rights" of a nuisance dog do NOT trump the rights of humans to have peace and quiet in their own homes.
Was there no barking ordinance that could be enforced?[/quote]

The neighborhood codes (CC&Rs) prevented RVs or boats to be visible, and that was strictly enforced. Unfortunately, the police would only leave a note on the door when called about a barking dog.

They recommended that I sue the neighbor.

Old 12-30-2019, 12:58 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
We live in a large, master-planned community with houses relatively close together. We are on a cul-de-sac with 6 other houses. Luckily, all of our neighbors are wonderful. We've had some come and go over the years, but we've really been lucky that the folks who have moved in have all been great too. I know plenty of people who have neighbors from hell, and I truly feel for them.

We did have one family move in a few years ago. They were seriously some of the nicest people you could ever meet. But they ran a church. And they hosted church events at their house all.the.time. I don't care if our neighbors have parties from time to time - live it up! But this was like once a week, and it involved at least 50 cars parked on the street each time. So it wasn't just the cul-de-sac, it was literally the whole street with cars parked on either side. It was a mess. Cars had to back up down the street 100 yards or more, just so another car could get through. I never reported it to the HOA (not really my style), but apparently other people on the street did. A lot. They could have rented one of the 3 community centers in the neighborhood for $25, but they never did. They were basically running a business out of their home, and that's not allowed. They moved after only about 2 years. That's the worst we've had it.

We are in a relatively affluent community with a really strong HOA, and that can be either good or bad. I know people here who have neighbors who literally live to find HOA infractions and report them. One woman has actually been barred by the HOA from making any more complaints because it just got ridiculous. I would hate to be her neighbor. Our community is so big, that it's really impossible for the HOA to know about most things unless they are reported. Our one neighbor has a basketball hoop that is technically too close the the road. No one in the cul-de-sac cares - why should we? Technically we are not supposed to park on the street all night, but people do it all the time. As long as I can get in and out of my driveway, I don't care.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:50 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,170 times
CarnivalGal's post about the church reminds me of a place we lived where there was a very nice family with 6 children. The church, it turned out owned the house. The husband was a pastor so the church board had him and family in there. The house had a pool and that was good for the children. They must have had their mid week study or church meeting elsewhere because fortunately we never had trouble with vehicles. The family had trouble though, especially the wife. Since the church owned the house, they put their big copy machine and computer and some other machine in the front hall right inside the front doors. Which then meant they wanted to access those machines regularly. Which meant the front door needed to be unlocked until 10 pm.. Don't know why they couldn't have handed out keys. So the church leaders were in and out of there as were others who were helping and needed to use the machines.

This meant trying to raise children and have family time with people in and out that they barely knew. And these people would come around from the front hall and interrupt the family time, interrupt dinner, homework, the babies just falling asleep, just family talking while the church leaders were waiting for their copies or whatever. Finally the wife put her foot down a little. She got the front door locked at 9 pm.

Now I'm thinking about them and wondering if they moved and whatever happened to them. When we had block parties we always had a great time with them and others. That was a nice road and cul-de-sac to live on.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:49 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,859 times
I'm in a non-HOA neighborhood with houses of varying ages (most older) and a mix of incomes--we have doctors in the neighborhood, white collar workers, and blue collar workers. The lots are pretty spacious and we love it here; the neighbors are all pretty decent and we have had no major issues.

Nobody blinks an eye when someone paints their house bright blue or when someone else painted the house a purple and blue scheme. There is a lot of helping others out with house repairs or yard work if they are having trouble with it. There is an active neighborhood watch though there is no real crime in the area. The last time the police were called was when some teenagers had driven a 4 wheeler through someone's back yard and accidentally dumped it into Lake Erie & injured themselves.

There are quite a few block parties and neighborhood get togethers. I wouldn't change where I live

Old 12-31-2019, 10:23 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
I love my neighbors.

Small, pseudo-cul-de-sac. No drama, everyone maintains and upgrades their homes. We watch each others kids, and keep an eye on each other's houses. No unsightly junk in the driveways or yard, but everyone minds their business in general. The street is quiet. No loud dogs. No domestic violence issues. No thumping stereos. We have yearly block parties on the 4th of july and such. If someone is trying to replace their garage door, someone will come over to ask if they need help. When it snows, we mutually help each other dig out. No HOA either...everyone keeps up their property because they want to. Property values in general rise each year at a good rate. I have zero complaints about the neighborhood at all.

I have friends that live in similar neighborhoods. During yard parties, the neighbors are all invited and come over to hang out as well.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:53 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,779,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Is there anyone who lives in close proximity to a lot of houses who has absolutely no complaints about any of the neighbors? Does the perfect neighborhood exist? Sometimes I want to move, and sometimes I think we should just stick it out for another decade because it could be much worse.
I don't know if the perfect neighborhood, but I have no issues with any of the neighbors in the houses surrounding me. Most of them are retired, so no loud parties, no trash in there yards, too many cars in the driveway, etc.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:38 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,418,578 times
Not yet. I moved from a Midwest HOA village community with historic homes. I had the best neighbors. Everyone was very quiet and kept their yard perfectly groomed. We lived directly across from the community park which drew many cars. Most people obeyed the parking and noise rules.

Recently moved to the Southeast in a HOA community of new construction homes on a corner lot. We've meet some of our neighbors but they are building many houses so half of the community haven't moved it yet. So far everyone is nice. Since we live on the corner lot, I haven't had any real issues with people cutting across the yard or dog poop. We do have a direct view of the lake so many people will sit on the left side on the sidewalk to view the lake. They are starting to build homes in the opposite lot.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:41 AM

7,071 posts, read 4,514,055 times
We had the neighbor from hell 2 doors down. The whole block hated him. He was angry and abusive. He had a stroke at 42 and died. His wife and kids are much happier. He ruled them with a iron fist and walked his teens to and from school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House