Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 11:56 AM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times

Advertisements

I live in a very nice city neighborhood where the homes range from, I'd say, 40 to 80 years old. There is a cluster of 9 new homes currently under construction on a cul-de-sac at the dead end of our street, but they stick out like sore thumbs and I don't imagine their occupants will ever be a real part of the neighborhood. My immediate neighbors are quiet and pleasant and keep their yards neat. In fact, my only worry is that several of them are very elderly and I worry about who will move into their homes when they're gone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 12:35 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Did you have a fight with your wife this morning? You seem to be looking for a fight, get over it, go on to a thread that will make you happy. Maybe the reason for your hostility is the fact that you are that neighbor??? Get off of the computer and go clean up your yard....

We love you, why don't you love us?

...says the "grumpy ol' man".
Quite the contradiction in terms-

Old 12-22-2019, 12:52 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default I like my neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Is there anyone who lives in close proximity to a lot of houses who has absolutely no complaints about any of the neighbors?
I have zero complaints about any of my close neighbors. They all take pride in their properties. Our house are close at 13/acre (3000 sqft lots). I really like my neighbors. We spend a lot of time chatting on our patio during clement weather. Houses range in age from 120 years to 2 weeks.

But, then, when Bill, the convicted murderer, was living in his van (for 7+ years) about 50 meters from my house (but out of site), I had no complaints.

Our patio. Record attendees is 19.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:58 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I have a few neighbors who are obnoxious (6 cars parked on the street 24/7, never maintain their yard, marital or other family issues that spill outside the house, etc), and there were a few at my last house too. I don't want to sound snobby, but I would expect less if we lived in a lower income area.

We've talked about moving a 3rd time, a small reason being the neighbors. After talking to some friends about my neighbors, they all had their own story about a crazy neighbor.

Is there anyone who lives in close proximity to a lot of houses who has absolutely no complaints about any of the neighbors? Does the perfect neighborhood exist? Sometimes I want to move, and sometimes I think we should just stick it out for another decade because it could be much worse.
The "perfect neighborhood" is one with paper doll occupants. Dream on OP. Living in a higher income neighborhood doesn't guarantee anything. People with money can be just as obnoxious as people without. Escaping every time something isn't perfect isn't going to make it all better. All you end up doing is allowing others to control your life.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-22-2019 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-22-2019, 01:11 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
100+ y.o. city neighborhood, generally 50’ wide lots, wild mix of house age, styles and size 110 y.o. next to 12 y.o., 800-4000sf with very few functional garages or driveways (so we are almost all “battling†for street parking) and we don’t just get along we are mostly all good friends which we socialize with daily- multiple times/different neighbors. I think I have the keys to 1/2 the homes on the block - we went into our out of town neighbor’s home for powdered sugar yesterday for some baking but all the other neighbors benefited by enjoying our lemon bars at the latkes and lox party across the street lol.

The neighborhood has gentrified tremendously in the past 20 years and so there is a bit of a jarring juxtaposition of 100k+ Mercedes and Tesla’s zooming by our 20+ y.o. Subaru’s and Pickups and the newcomers having paid seven times for their houses than us and the demographic shift that results. From tile setters, Navy Pilots and supermarket clerks to Stanford and Harvard educated engineers, architects and neuroscientists but I think that helps us all get along.

I would say the only rub as the above post from Bungalove notes is the frequent construction activity of some of the newcomers putting in $250k garden designs and renovations next to the rest of our rather modest cottages with sweet, simple gardens and whether they will socialize as much with us- first world problems of soaring property values.

We are definitely of the davebarnes type of neighbors and neighborhood There was a meth house down the street for a while though the daughter who took over her deceased parents house liked us - that house got foreclosed, flipped and is now owned by the Stanford educated Tesla driving neuroscientists so things can change for the good!

Old 12-22-2019, 01:55 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
We are probably *that* neighbor, but everyone else is friendly with us so they must not mind the messy yard too much. Nobody really cares about image here anyway. Our neighbor's cars are older than ours and ours aren't new. We have the oldest avocado tree so it's huge and there's loads of avos to share with the neighbors. They share their yard produce back with us so it's all good.

There was a kerfluffle several years ago when some squatters moved into the neighborhood, but they got chased out and things are quiet again.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:39 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Once upon a time as our city expanded, the urban planners thought it wise to plop low rental units among mid-class to upper class houses. Was this for diversity? Was it because the land went for a good price? don't know.

The difference is very sad as you drive down the one street I have to go along to get to my brother's house.

One side is well maintained, the other side is a line of about 12 row houses and a few rows beyond them. They are littered with toys, broken lawn chairs, garbage and where a flower garden might not be half bad near the house, they place whirly birds, gawdy plastic flowers, and tacky flamingos on a stick.

I wouldn't want to live across the street from that disgusting sight.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:54 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Once upon a time as our city expanded, the urban planners thought it wise to plop low rental units among mid-class to upper class houses. Was this for diversity? Was it because the land went for a good price? don't know.

The difference is very sad as you drive down the one street I have to go along to get to my brother's house.

One side is well maintained, the other side is a line of about 12 row houses and a few rows beyond them. They are littered with toys, broken lawn chairs, garbage and where a flower garden might not be half bad near the house, they place whirly birds, gawdy plastic flowers, and tacky flamingos on a stick.

I wouldn't want to live across the street from that disgusting sight.
Yes they are doing that where they can get away with it. I don't care what they say, the dense low income housing they stuff in degrades the neighborhoods.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:04 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
We lived in a non-HOA neighborhood with some really great neighbors and some really bad ones (the bad ones all were renters in homes that the owners had owned for 25+ years). We lived there for 14 years, it was centrally located and we loved the house overall. Then we moved to a mountain community that had a useless HOA. Their whole job was to keep the roads up, but none of the members wanted to change the status quo, and when new members were elected, the long time members fought any change at all (and kept the majority). They've finally gotten a whole new board who is working like crazy to make up for the neglect to the roads. We sold that place earlier this year. Now we are in a neighborhood with no HOA, but we do have covenants on file with our deeds. The neighborhood is well cared for, there's only one "that" neighbor, and he's in a corner lot out of sight of pretty much the entire neighborhood. It's kind of like the happy medium here now. Our house used to be "that neighbor" house, we have dug up at least 100 shotgun shells in our back yard so far, there is all sorts of garbage that is still surfacing, the neighbors love us! LOL

Last edited by goldenlove; 12-22-2019 at 06:06 PM..

Old 12-22-2019, 05:21 PM

10 posts, read 8,226 times
Some of this stuff makes me laugh out loud. I live in an old, house-close-together neighborhood that's been working class for a hundred years until recently, when the first waves of gentrifiers started poking their long pointed noses in. I've lived here for twenty years, and I have never cared the least bit what my neighbors' houses look like.

I don't worry too much about my yard -- it's only eight feet from the street, so there isn't much to bother with anyway. I don't fuss with a garden, and I don't mow what little grass I have more than once a month or so during the summer, because I live alone and work three jobs. I hang my washing on a clothesline in the backyard because I don't have a dryer and wouldn't want one anyway. If people don't like the sight of my fat white underpants blowing in the wind, they're welcome to look the other way. And if the gentrifiers don't think I'm up to their bourgie standards, they're free to go live someplace else. I'm not going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House