Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 10:41 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times

Advertisements

I agree with just about everyones dislikes except the decor, I just don't care how someone decorates unless they don't clean and make me sneeze.

This thread made me remember how my beloved grandmother kept plants on her kitchen counter. She had just finished making rice pudding with raisins and served me some. I ate a spoonful and it crunched so I said "is it supposed to be crunchy?" A slug had fallen into it before cooking OMG. I was 12 and never forgot it.

My career as a photographer brought me into many peoples homes so I experienced too dark, too hot, too much cat hair, too crowded with furniture, TV way too loud. Nothing terrible just not the same as my home. My husband and I have detente about temperature, I like it colder he likes it warmer. The coldest we've both ever been was a high school graduation in Texas, OMG Texans like their A/C, at siblings home it was just as cold, couldn't wait to leave.

People with cats you really have to expect the counters will be walked on when owners aren't there.
I love the Asian ethic of removing shoes at threshold but can't start at my age or ask guests to do so. Wood or ceramic floors help this a lot, wall-to-wall not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 07:17 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Also, another poster had stated, and I agree...
is the house number.

living here in the city, finding a house number is relativley easy since all the streets are numbered,

6807 6the ave would be between 68th and 69th streets on 6th ave.

402 60th street, would be 60th street between 4th and 5th ave, and so on, so it is pretty easy.

but, suburbs is another think, OMG, trying to find an address makes me crazy.

nothing is worse than looking at a house and trying to locate its address.
To me, the house number should be large enough and visable enough that you spot it immediately, as opposed having to search for it, especially while driving in a car, so yes, that annoys me a lot about other peoples homes.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:21 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times
Odor and lack of cleanliness. Luckily, I haven't encountered this in a long time.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:30 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,933,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think my house and my vehicle bother a good friend of mine. She is very, very short. I am pretty tall (for a woman - 5'8"). I mean, she's like barely five feet tall. Anyway, my house was custom built for the family before us and they were tall too. So everything is tall here - in fact, I have to get a stool to reach the top shelf of the cabinets everywhere because the ceilings are 10 feet tall everywhere. This doesn't bother me - I just don't put things I need to reach much in the top cabinets. But the counter tops are not low, the toilets aren't low, nothing is "low." And in my car, my granddaughter generally rides in the front passenger side, and she's tall too (about 5'9"). My youngest son is even taller (about 6'5"). So they always have the passenger seat far back and down, if that makes sense, not the back but the seat itself. My friend always readjusts it - with quite a bit of drama thrown in for good measure, I might add - when she gets in my car. And when she's at my house, she is always standing in the kitchen saying "Where would I put something...OK...no, can't reach it..." or whatever. I hate to break it to her, but this is my house, not hers, and it fits me, not her. I don't mind getting something for her, but I think it's a little bit odd for her to say "I can't reach your glasses" when she certainly can, or "Wow, your silverware drawer sure is up high and it's not where I'd put it," when it seems to be exactly where just about anyone would put it and it's just the top drawer in the lower cabinets.

When I go to her house, I don't "fit" comfortably on her sofa, because it's not deep enough for my long legs, but I don't expect it to fit me, I expect it to fit her. When she comes to my house, she goes on and on about how deep my sofas are and how she can't get out of them. I didn't buy them for her, I bought them for me.
I hadn't really thought about it, but I think my furniture annoys my shorter friends. I'm 5'9 and my sons are all between 6'2-6'5. And I freakin love my couch. We can actually sit on it, and our legs actually bend at the proper angle when our feet rest on the floor. It is soo comfortable. Unless you're tall, I don't know if you can relate to having your legs awkwardly bent or stretched out in front of you. For years I had no idea why I found furniture so uncomfortable and then I met an awesome salesman.

And, no, it doesn't bother me at all to see short people sit on my sofa with their legs dangling.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:30 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,730,419 times
Obnoxious kids & barking dogs that the owner ignores. Poorly maintained yards and derelict cars parked haphazardly. Having the TV up so loud that no one can speak without shouting. Tobacco smoke.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:27 AM

19,615 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Something that kind of annoys me is in a development where all the exteriors look the same or very similar, when the interiors are styled the same too. I had to visit a lot of homes at one point and I could not match what home went with who because they were all so similar inside and outside. I think if I lived in such a neighborhood the first thing I would do is customize the interior. It is hard to believe that all those people love the same style of furniture, paint colors, artwork, etc.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:26 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,046,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Other people's homes don't really "annoy" me. They are what they are. What I happen to think about it doesn't really matter.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:28 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,046,464 times
People who leave Christmas lights up all year, or even just the plastic clips up all year......tacky.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:58 PM

19,615 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
People who leave Christmas lights up all year, or even just the plastic clips up all year......tacky.
I've noticed more homes lit up all year round. Not with really Christmas-y stuff but different types of string lights and fairy lights. Some people keep white candles in their windows all year round. And yes some people light colored lights all year round.

Ambiance and decorative lighting has really become a thing indoors and out. I'm not crazy about it because I like lights off at night and save the glittery lights and window candles for holidays.

Old 12-14-2020, 02:20 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I hadn't really thought about it, but I think my furniture annoys my shorter friends. I'm 5'9 and my sons are all between 6'2-6'5. And I freakin love my couch. We can actually sit on it, and our legs actually bend at the proper angle when our feet rest on the floor. It is soo comfortable. Unless you're tall, I don't know if you can relate to having your legs awkwardly bent or stretched out in front of you. For years I had no idea why I found furniture so uncomfortable and then I met an awesome salesman.

And, no, it doesn't bother me at all to see short people sit on my sofa with their legs dangling.
Hubby and I are average height, 5'10" and 5'5" but I bought a very very deep set sectional with one thing in mind - being able to spoon on the sofa while watching tv : ) We have lots of large, firm decorative pillows for anyone who is uncomfortable sitting on its deep seats. It works for us and that's what really matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House