Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 08:49 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times

Advertisements

I don't like reading material in the bathroom. Worse even than magazines there, I used a bathroom in Europe where the entire small bathroom was lined with shelves full of books. Ugh. Stored in the bathroom. Disgusting.

In England, some years ago, I encountered my first WC. I hate those little rooms, so claustrophobic. Worse, it had no sink in the same room. And the toilet paper was folded like old-fashioned toilet paper found in dispensers in gas stations, and the quality was like onion skin paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 08:55 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times
The bathroom was right off the dining room at my old house. That's one reason I like the layout of my current house so well--the bathroom is off a short hallway. Since it's a normal-sized house with a traditional layout, there's nowhere to put the furniture except up against the walls.

I agree about the TV. I grew up with the *#($! thing on 18 hours a day. I hate anything blaring just for noise. Ambient music channels on Youtube, or ocean waves tracks, or a fire video are much better for sound if the house is too quiet.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:30 PM

104 posts, read 96,042 times
people that won't turn on lights or open windows on overcast days. I also don't like overnight stays on old beds where you can feel the coils and springs. Also bathtub rings and soap scum in the shower. Dusty blinds and hoarding claustrophobia with Disney characters collecting dusty. Or a creepy owl collection. Smoky walls from chain smokers that leave you with a sore throat.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:23 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Too many things to mention. When I visit *most* friends or relatives for the night or several nights, I prefer to stay in a hotel.

Actually, I have only one friend - a BFF - who's house and hostess skills are completely comfortable for me.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:30 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Too much incense and perfume. Address the source of a bad smell, don't cover it up with more respiratory irritants!

Old 12-12-2020, 08:06 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,967,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Thread reminded me of the children's classic book about Benjamin Budge and Barnaby Ball. One's house to small, one's house to big.

Unless I'm spending a significant time staying over I wouldn't care too much. The number one thing would be smell. I remember as kid if visiting parent's friend's house with heavy smokers I couldn't stand it. We had a distant cousin I recall visiting as a young child that in just a brief time in their house your clothes / hair would stink like an ashtray.

If being invited to stay for a few days it would be combination of smell and the other's 'acceptable level' of cleanliness or lack thereof as generally they go together. Only once did I encounter this. It was a friend's apartment on one of my trips to NYC. When I took shower the first time I discovered the bathtub was disgustingly dirty, for what I thought was 'non slip' texture, was built up soap scum and grime. While I was glad he let me stay at his place, I found it so disgusting, I went out and bought cleaning products and did my best to clean the tub since I was going to be there a few days.

Smells from pets, dander, and generally an unclean home would annoy me.
What is it with Cigarettes. Cigars stink, Pipe Smoking isn't bad, but Cigarettes seem to be the silliest of the three.
QUIT. I did 25 years ago. STOP SMOKING!!! (I smoked all of these at one time, it was how I eventually gave up smoking completely, only smoked when I drank, something else I gave up years ago)

I find buttheads incredibly annoying!

Something I find a bit amusing is folks going in homes like the ones described in this thread. How do you know these people?

Old 12-12-2020, 08:14 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Seeing a cat walk on a table or kitchen counter grosses me out.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:18 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,422,321 times
Scented anything. I'm allergic to scents.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:36 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
I pay no attention. I am there to visit friends and I do not live there so whatever it is, is fine with me.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:14 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I don't like reading material in the bathroom. Worse even than magazines there, I used a bathroom in Europe where the entire small bathroom was lined with shelves full of books. Ugh. Stored in the bathroom. Disgusting.

That's the best place to read short stories and articles. You're the first person in decades to say that you don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House