Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 07:29 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times

Advertisements

I really try not to judge, but my daughter has never had the same taste as me, and has also never cared about what visitors will think. Perhaps this is healthier than the way I was raised, but I would be mortified to have visitors if my house looked like hers sometimes.

She likes to buy thrift shop furniture and do DIY home repairs. She doesn’t dust very often, and she likes too much clutter. I don’t say anything.

In general, it bothers me if pictures are hung too high, or if there is one soggy hand towel in a powder room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 07:40 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
I have some friends who put no hand towels in their bathroom and seem to expect people just to use the bath towels (or no towel at all, if it is a 1/2 bath). WHY? Also, people don’t have bath mats if you stay over and are using their shower/bath.

I also have allergies and would prefer if there isn’t like layers of animal fur (particularly cat fur) all over the place. I understand that animals can shed, but find it annoying if there isn’t even an attempt.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:48 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Not my house, not my business. I don't visit other people so I can critique their homes.

My mother's house, on the other hand ... Why in the hell did she put dark walnut cabinets in a windowless kitchen?? What was she thinking putting light tan carpet in a family room, where she spends 70% of her day? And what's with the pendant lamp in the living room that doesn't match anything else in the room?

Old 12-09-2020, 08:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
For visiting:

Homes that smell bad. I am hypersensitive to smells.

Homes that are too clean/museum like. I feel uncomfortable sitting down or even walking around. Maybe they can just greet me in the back where the help hangs out.

Homes with offensive décor. We had a friend who had penis sculptures all over his house. We did not visit with the kids' and it was uncomfortable visiting even without them, especially since he would often rest his hand on one or absentmindedly (?) rub it while talking to us. A neighbor had satanic posters pictures, sculptures all over. Never went back there. (real Satan worship stuff, like a painting of a devil labeled "Our Heavenly Father" and a painting showing an orgy with people sacrificing babies in the background).

Houses with no windows. I dislike being anywhere with no windows. I can barely stand long trips in a car that does not have a sunroof.

If I am not visiting, nothing really annoys me about other people's houses, what they do is their business. The only thing that might annoy me is if they cut down all the trees on their property, or tear down a historic home to build some modern POS McMansion, or if they destroy a historic house by adding on inappropriately, or putting in vinyl windows or siding. While they are free to do what they want with property they own, I am free to be annoyed by it if i want to be.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:45 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Pets, they annoy me.

However, not my home so I have no problem taking my opinion and stuffing it.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:31 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Clutter drives me insane. Also dirty houses. Picked up is not clean. If you have a year's worth of dust on your ceiling fan and your baseboards are gross, that's not clean. I am generally a very neat and organized person, so these things are no surprise.

I also hate dark homes. I don't mean just color, I mean blinds all closed and maybe one lamp on. My in-laws are like that and it drives me nuts. I don't think they've turned on an overhead light for 30 years. They will use the flashlight on their phone to see or read something, but they won't turn on a damn light. It makes no sense. And they actually have a beautiful home, so it's not like there are things they don't want people to see.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:00 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
I don't like those plug-in room deodorizers. I find them overpowering and not healthy for the air, sometimes they give me a headache. I'd rather deal with a pet smell than a pet smell combined with the plug-in smell.

I guess I don't like most room deodorizers period- I don't know why they have to smell so perfume-y.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:31 AM

2,572 posts, read 1,646,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I would never wear a pair of stilettos in anyone else's home (nor my own) that had hardwood floors. They're the worst kind of shoe for putting dents in the wood and I wouldn't damage their floors that way.
Yes, we had a real estate agent walk across our new wood floor in her spike heels. She did take her shoes off after I pointed out the damage.

People are entitled to live how they like, none of my business. But I try to avoid cluttered, dusty, dirty houses because they are gross, and also because they set off my allergies. And houses where pet urine has soaked into the carpets are pretty awful. We knew one lady whose dogs peed in the house and the reek of ammonia would cause headaches and respiratory symptoms after a little while. Didn't seem to bother her though.

Also, houses with dead animals displayed. Sad and creepy.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:57 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

In general, it bothers me if pictures are hung too high, or if there is one soggy hand towel in a powder room.
It's a deal breaker for me as well. Also, the TV too far away.

However, if you are coming in my house, you are removing your shoes. I live downtown Fort Lauderdale and you aren't dragging that nastiness in my home.

Don't like it? Don't visit is fine with me.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:33 PM

743 posts, read 877,763 times
Clutter everywhere.
A dirty kitchen.

The remark about pictures being hung too high--we had some friends that were both 6 ft tall and I always thought it amusing when I would visit and all the pictures were hung really high. I mean, unusually high where they looked odd even from my height. One time she made a comment that my pictures were hung too low. I thought that was funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House