Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 07:15 AM

2,106 posts, read 980,135 times

Advertisements

Toilets too low .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 07:35 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,773,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It's a deal breaker for me as well. Also, the TV too far away.

However, if you are coming in my house, you are removing your shoes. I live downtown Fort Lauderdale and you aren't dragging that nastiness in my home.

Don't like it? Don't visit is fine with me.
You prefer their sweaty, germy feet on your floor? That's the one thing I don't get with the "take off your shoes" crowd. What's on their bare feet, or sweaty socks, is grosser to me than the bottoms of their shoes that they (presumably) wiped on the doormat before entering. Maybe you could provide some sort of disposable slippers or something for people to wear.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I totally get why people have this rule, and I think it makes a lot of sense, but it doesn't work well for my family in my home, so I don't have the rule. I just wish if people do have this rule that they give some warning -- if they are having a party or something, that should be noted on the invitation. That way, I'm not wearing sandals or other shoes without socks, or if I do, I can bring a pair of socks to put on.

This raises a significant issue in this discussion -- it's one thing if you go to someone's house for a few hours for a social visit. Whatever is happening in the house isn't going to affect you much (except for when the house is too hot, which often is something I feel. Many people think my house is too cold, so that is what it is.) But if you're an overnight guest, that's another thing. I do feel like if you are hosting overnight guests, you should make your guests as comfortable as possible, which includes having decent pillows and blankets, and ideally, a television in the guest room, as well as some good towels. We have a friend who has a vacation home, and we have gone to this vacation home with that friend a couple of times. It's awesome that he invites us there, and I love it and I am very grateful. But the bed and bedding is awful. Last time I brought my own pillow. I think I'm going to bring a blanket next time, and I'm toying with whether I can present it as a gift.
Whenever we have overnight guests, as we show them their bedroom, we point out an extra blanket and extra pillows/pillowcases in the closet, and where the extra towels are in the guest bath. We also point out the remote for the TV, and be sure to tell them to ask us if they've forgotten anything like toothbrushes/paste, or whatever, because we have several new ones in the package from the dentist in the guest bathroom drawers. We also make sure there is plenty of TP and air freshener spray in the bathroom cabinet closest to the toilet. And we keep a bottle of shampoo and conditioner and a brand new bar of soap in the shower (after they leave we transfer the used bar to our shower and unwrap a new one for the guest bath). The bedroom also has a ceiling fan, and an alarm clock. I hate waking up in the night and wondering what time it is. I've been a houseguest before, so I just imagine all the things I wish I'd had when I was someone else's guest.

What bothers me about others' homes is if they are just a really crappy housekeeper. I'm not the greatest, but we don't leave dirty dishes in the sink, and I really hate when their kitchen trash smells, or they have maybe a bad potato, or cat pee smell. Also a dirty guest bath is such a gross-out, mildew in the shower, or a toilet that hasn't been cleaned in weeks. Yuck! My one brother has 5 little yappy dogs that go berserk when anyone comes to the door, or anything can set them off, and all h*ll breaks loose. They also are not potty trained well and I can always smell the carpet. It's hard to even go nose-blind to it. I usually like to sit on their patio unless it's too cold to. I don't care about anyone's decor, just don't make your house so uncomfortable to visit because guests are grossed out.

Last edited by TheShadow; 12-11-2020 at 08:22 AM..

Old 12-11-2020, 09:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You prefer their sweaty, germy feet on your floor? That's the one thing I don't get with the "take off your shoes" crowd. What's on their bare feet, or sweaty socks, is grosser to me than the bottoms of their shoes that they (presumably) wiped on the doormat before entering. Maybe you could provide some sort of disposable slippers or something for people to wear.
In Hawaii it's a tradition but seemingly has nothing to do with clean floors. Yeesh! I hated to put my shoes back on after walking on some floors!

Old 12-11-2020, 09:42 AM

Some people might have smelly feet, or athlete's foot or toenail fungus and that stuff is contagious, so the idea that shoes off is somehow cleaner doesn't make sense to me.

Personally I go barefoot at home a lot, but I just wouldn't want to make my guests uncomfortable by insisting on anything they don't do naturally. A lot of people are uncomfortable taking off their shoes in someone else's home. If you WANT to take them off in my home, go ahead. I remember an episode of Sex and the City where the hostess made Carrie take off her beautiful new $800 designer shoes at their party and another guest stole her shoes. LOL. Sometimes I walk around in my socks and I've had people come in, pointedly look at my feet and start to take their shoes off, thinking that's what I want them to do, and I have to say "Oh, that's not necessary". Usually they look relieved and keep them on.

Last edited by TheShadow; 12-11-2020 at 09:50 AM..

Old 12-11-2020, 10:47 AM

382 posts, read 421,147 times
Toilets too high.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:53 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,071,757 times
Quote:
Some people might have smelly feet, or athlete's foot or toenail fungus and that stuff is contagious, so the idea that shoes off is somehow cleaner doesn't make sense to me.

Personally I go barefoot at home a lot, but I just wouldn't want to make my guests uncomfortable by insisting on anything they don't do naturally. A lot of people are uncomfortable taking off their shoes in someone else's home. If you WANT to take them off in my home, go ahead. I remember an episode of Sex and the City where the hostess made Carrie take off her beautiful new $800 designer shoes at their party and another guest stole her shoes. LOL. Sometimes I walk around in my socks and I've had people come in, pointedly look at my feet and start to take their shoes off, thinking that's what I want them to do, and I have to say "Oh, that's not necessary". Usually they look relieved and keep them on.
I had no idea that horseshoes were that expensive; they must have been made out of titanium...

Old 12-11-2020, 11:00 AM

3,377 posts, read 1,973,336 times
Quote:

I'm usually barefoot at home or I wear a pair of socks but I know how clean my floor is. I don't know how clean someone else's floor is so I don't want to be barefooted in other people's houses. I went to a party once where the hostess insisted on "shoes off" and handed out slippers for the guests. I didn't make a fuss but I had to wonder who else had their feet in those slippers

Last edited by rfomd129; 12-11-2020 at 11:12 AM..

Old 12-11-2020, 11:06 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,391,623 times
Not really annoying but uncomfortable when the bathroom is dirty, hair on the floor and sink, slimy toilet, soap soup on sink, and dirty hand towels (the worst to me).

Old 12-11-2020, 11:20 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
I don't understand that way of thinking, either. This year, all the germaphobes across the US got validation for their overzealous urge for cleanliness and disinfecting everything. I'd rather sweep and vacuum outside dirt instead of having to worry about spraying Lysol (or who knows - TINACTIN - UGH!) on my floors because of someone's direct skin contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House