Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 08:35 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times

Advertisements

Two different in laws' houses come to mind.

One is full of clutter/collectibles/hoarded items. You have to move stuffed things to sit anywhere in the living room. Once my granddaughter was bored and I whispered to her that she should go over to the piano and count the number of items on top of it. The whole house is extremely claustrophobic.

The other ex in law's home is worse, dirty, dark (never open the drapes), cluttered. Worst day was when I was in the tiny kitchen, the cat jumped into an overflowing litter box and then jumped onto the kitchen counter. She didn't know she was supposed to clean it out and possibly not allow the cat on the counter. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 10:41 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
I'm curious about the closed draperies. I've never encountered this, unless it was for a reason like heating and cooling, or to stop blinding sun coming in. Why would someone want to be in the dark all the time?

Old 12-10-2020, 10:51 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I'm curious about the closed draperies. I've never encountered this, unless it was for a reason like heating and cooling, or to stop blinding sun coming in. Why would someone want to be in the dark all the time?

My living room is like this because I'm paranoid about strangers looking into my house and thinking they'll break into my house and steal all my stuff. I live in a suburb on a quiet street, so it's just my paranoia.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:55 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
Clutter and how much STUFF they have. I went to someone's house and the entire kitchen counter was full of spices in small bottles and other seasonings in bottles. That's a LOT of bottles. You could not see the surface at all. Any furniture with a table surface is filled with pens, books, mail, knick knacks. You name it. The mom loves to spend money and she buys and buys.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:09 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Sorry, but that problem is entirely...yours. You CAN help it. You just don't WANT to. Just because you have an irrational fear doesn't mean that the dog itself isn't lovable or friendly.
Hey now, I *like* dogs but *still* don't want to be bowled over by one. Valid concern IMO

Old 12-10-2020, 11:41 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
My living room is like this because I'm paranoid about strangers looking into my house and thinking they'll break into my house and steal all my stuff. I live in a suburb on a quiet street, so it's just my paranoia.

If this makes you feel any better, when it is daytime, from the outside you can't see in, it looks all black from the street, unless of course your right up against the window and the windows are street level...

It is the night time, obviously when you can see in when the light is on.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:31 PM

257 posts, read 134,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is the only one annoying thing I have found in anyone's home. When someone has 2-3 dogs and a cat or two (I'm allergic) that stay inside all day and night, just a quick vacuuming doesn't do the trick. They get so used to it that they don't even notice any more, but for visitors it's definitely "blech!" time.

Don't come over.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:55 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Don't come over.
That is why I tell folks that I have too many pets and they might not like it. I don't even like it sometimes, but what can you do? These poor homeless little sweeties needed a home.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:18 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,828,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Sorry, but that problem is entirely...yours. You CAN help it. You just don't WANT to. Just because you have an irrational fear doesn't mean that the dog itself isn't lovable or friendly.
Definitely it's my problem. I don't doubt the dogs are cute and lovely.... just don't let them jump all over me

Old 12-10-2020, 02:12 PM

274 posts, read 237,875 times
I definitely have things I don't like in other people's homes, but for the most part, unless they live in unsanitary conditions, I don't much care what they do. However, I have definite opinions about what annoys me about the outside of their homes. Lawns that are rarely mowed, overflowing dumpsters long before garbage pickup, bikes and toys strewn all over the front yard, and peeling exterior paint are some of the things that annoy me about other people's homes. Unfortunately, one house can bring down the value for several other houses on the street.

The house next door to us has been a rental for several years, and to say the least, we've had some awful neighbors. We've had great neighbors as well, but most renters don't stay beyond a couple of years. Housing is at a premium in our area. The landlord has no problem getting new tenants and charging top dollar for rent, which is why I think he does absolutely nothing to maintain the exterior appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House