Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 01:01 PM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It's a deal breaker for me as well. Also, the TV too far away.

However, if you are coming in my house, you are removing your shoes. I live downtown Fort Lauderdale and you aren't dragging that nastiness in my home.

Don't like it? Don't visit is fine with me.
What does Fort Lauderdale have to do with it, something especially grotesque on the ground there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 01:17 PM

6,822 posts, read 11,553,688 times
People who leave the blinds or drapes closed during the day (blinding sunlight coming directly in the window is the exception).

Old 12-09-2020, 01:25 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't like those plug-in room deodorizers. I find them overpowering and not healthy for the air, sometimes they give me a headache. I'd rather deal with a pet smell than a pet smell combined with the plug-in smell.

I guess I don't like most room deodorizers period- I don't know why they have to smell so perfume-y.
oh yes - ok I might have lots of pets but I don't think my house smells - lol - but some people can overdo it with the plug in or warmer things.

I used buy one type many years ago, but it is no longer produced.

I do sweep and mop daily - might smell like bleach for a while. No carpet here.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:55 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
At my in-laws, the pillows, bad enough I bring my own (and normally I can use a rock wrapped in a t-shirt.)
Their toilets are awful, rarely flush, poorly designed all around. I think it may be a venting problem but could be they are the original toilets from the 90's when the low-flows were mandated.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:56 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Clutter everywhere.
A dirty kitchen.

The remark about pictures being hung too high--we had some friends that were both 6 ft tall and I always thought it amusing when I would visit and all the pictures were hung really high. I mean, unusually high where they looked odd even from my height. One time she made a comment that my pictures were hung too low. I thought that was funny.
I know, right? I believe that eyeballs and heads have the ability to move up or down, so regardless if you are tall or short, pictures need to be hung so they have a relationship with other things in the room, not according to how tall the viewer is.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:57 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Other people's homes don't really "annoy" me. They are what they are. What I happen to think about it doesn't really matter.
Looking for this comment. Thank you. Literally nothing annoys me about my friends homes. I'm just glad they still want me to come over.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:21 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,828,626 times
Most are pet related - pet hairs, furs everywhere and going home with them stuck on my own clothes. Pet smells.

Overly hyper dogs that rush towards me when I enter. I'm afraid of dogs. I can't help it. Hate it when people think their dog is loveable to everyone and don't control them.

I don't mind taking off my shoes because I know where they have been and what could've been on those surfaces - feces on lawns, oil and grease on parking lots, god knows what in public toilets. Caveat is that the floor in the house should be clean so I don't feel yukkie walking barefoot or have my socks become their mop.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:35 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Overly hyper dogs that rush towards me when I enter. I'm afraid of dogs. I can't help it. Hate it when people think their dog is loveable to everyone and don't control them.

Sorry, but that problem is entirely...yours. You CAN help it. You just don't WANT to. Just because you have an irrational fear doesn't mean that the dog itself isn't lovable or friendly.

Old 12-09-2020, 03:40 PM

167 posts, read 359,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
.... but having the television on during a normal, non-t.v.-centered social visit annoys the heck out of me. I hate trying to hear someone speak over the noise....
If I'm visiting someone, I'm there to visit them, not their house or their television.
Exactly!
I really do not care about the decor of other's homes but I just don't like how people constantly have the TV on. Maybe because I do not have cable so do not have the TV on all the time I am extra sensitive to the noise. I never understand visiting someone and trying to have a conversation while the TV is going the entire time.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:05 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
A house that is too hot is annoying, as is a television blaring during the visit. I detest being too hot in a stuffy house and having to struggle to have a decent conversation because of the background wall of noise.

I can tolerate (and enjoy) cats, dogs and other household pets. It's fun to visit a home that has animals IMO. I couldn't care less if someone has hung their pictures too high, low or upside down or other quirks of home decorating. Not my taste, but I don't have to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House