Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 07:22 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I always found it best to not even talk to the workers in my apartment / house, whatever, other than answer a question pertaining to the task they are performing.
To me, it distracts them from doing their work, wastes time and to me, there is no need for it.

I also think it weould make them feel uncomfortable as I wouldn't want them to think I am watching over their shoulder.

I am adamant about this as when I was younger and used to go to peoples houses to paint or wallpaper, I found it very annoying if the homeowner would talk to me while I was doing my task.

Obviously as a 20 something at the time, I was not interested in anything a suburban housewife had to talk about at all, or whether or not I liked the wallpaper she chose or the color of the walls she choose.
To me, I didn't care, I wasn't living with it, and it really wasn't for me to like or dislike, or to voice my opinion on it either.

All I was there to do was to do a good job, (word of mouth is the best) at whatever task I was hired to do, and then leave.
I used to do this after my regular job for extra money, so socializing wasn't on my agenda.

Of course in this day and age, talking any type of politics is a complete no-no.
here in the office that subject is completely forbidden.

Some people also think because i am one way would mean Id vote for or like so and so, and I was not about to correct them or let them know, so any time anyone here at the office asks me, I say point blank, I don't discuss politics at all.

This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 11:41 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Another vote for "don't care". If I found a good contractor, who did good work, I would rehire him regardless of his personal beliefs. I don't care if he believes in the lizard king, votes for Trump, votes for Biden, or disagrees with school bussing- if the work quality is good and to code, that's what I use to base my decision on.

I have close friends who have polar opposite political views. We are still friends, and we even figure a way to discuss politics without offending each other. We certainly don't cancel our friendship because we aren't identical in thought. Strange world we live in now where only one opinion is "correct".

Old 01-06-2021, 12:51 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Ugh. People, the crux of the argument is to "be professional". It's flying past some of your heads. The same applies to politics or whatever. I don't want to hear about your political inclinations regardless of what side of the fence I'm on. Not one of my contractors in all the years I've had work done has EVER discussed politics, religion, or really anything other than local events, the weather, family (since we had kids) and work related stuff. KnowledgeBldr is right. Save the chit chat on those types of subjects for your friends.

When I hire someone, I want someone to do a good job and be a professional. Interesting concept, huh? I want someone to comport themselves in a professional manner, treat me with respect, and do their job and do it well. I am not paying for your unsolicited political opinions. I work in a law office. I would never think to mention politics with a client. The client is paying for legal work and that's what they want to talk about. Not elections, not where the country is headed, not political parties. This extends to homeowner/contractor relationships as well.

Old 01-06-2021, 01:28 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
It even happens with plumbers, HVAC, electricians, etc. who are only in your home for an hour or two. Are they giving the same spiel to every single person they work with that day?

Old 01-06-2021, 01:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
In the current market if you found someone who will show up, give you a reasonable price (or any price), come back and do the work competently, then you are blessed. Smile, nod your head and suck it up. When he leaves you can disagree with him all you want, but do not forget how lucky you are to have someone actually show up and do the work.

I can no longer count how many people e have had fail to show up. Show up and then never give us a price. Give us a price but then never return to do the work when we accept the price. Start the work and then disappear without finishing it.

If they would show up and work - I would be thrilled to listen to their opinions, not matter how wacky i think they might be.

I do not care how much they talk, or what about, what they wear, what they look or smell like, whether they like me or agree with me. I will happily hire (and re-hire) anyone who will actually get a job done.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:30 PM

430 posts, read 1,695,084 times
I've been getting some repair work done recently and have gotten some rolled eyes when I open the door wearing my mask, and the workers scramble to find theirs, or today the roofing company estimate person just kept his distance, no mask.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:38 PM

430 posts, read 1,695,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
In the current market if you found someone who will show up, give you a reasonable price (or any price), come back and do the work competently, then you are blessed. Smile, nod your head and suck it up. When he leaves you can disagree with him all you want, but do not forget how lucky you are to have someone actually show up and do the work.

Isn't it a shame this is the case? Except I suppose for the people doing the work. They can show up if they feel like it, charge whatever they want, and I'm supposed to suck it up and be happy with whatever I can get? Imagine how they would feel if I did my work that way.

A local plumbing company whose work I've been happy with in the past, the owner is charged with rape and incest and has $$$ legal fees. I decided to give them a chance anyway, innocent until proven guilty etc etc, had them give me a quote the other day and it was three times what it should have been, I guess he's gotta pay his lawyers, gee. The owner sent me a condescending email when I contacted them to verify that we didn't have a misunderstanding at to what I had wanted done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House