Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 09:44 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times

Advertisements

So yesterday I had a guy in who was installing some cabinets for us. This was a project I would have had done months ago if not for the shutdown.

He seemed to be good at the work. I've no complaints about that. But as they day went on and we got a bit more talkative he made his political views known.

They were in total opposition to mine.

Mind you, I didn't bring up politics but just said how happy I was to be getting this job done since I had to put it off. He said some pretty insulting things, thinking I was of the same mind. I kept my mouth shut about my opinions.

Well, any chance of me ever calling him back to do any work at my house went out the window right then and there.

Pro tip: Be professional, people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 10:18 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
It’s definitely annoying when hiring someone to do some work for you and they start spewing all of their beliefs regarding things not related to the work they are doing. I would have indicated my non interest in the discussion and would have somehow ended it or left the room.

It’s certainly a turn-off as far as I’m concerned and I can sympathize with your frustration!

Old 12-31-2020, 10:27 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
So yesterday I had a guy in who was installing some cabinets for us. This was a project I would have had done months ago if not for the shutdown.

He seemed to be good at the work. I've no complaints about that. But as they day went on and we got a bit more talkative he made his political views known.

Mind you, I didn't bring up politics but just said how happy I was to be getting this job done since I had to put it off. He said some pretty insulting things, thinking I was of the same mind. I kept my mouth shut about my opinions.

Well, any chance of me ever calling him back to do any work at my house went out the window right then and there.

Sounds like a conversation unless he talked to himself. Life can get lonely if only your own opinion counts.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:36 AM

663 posts, read 433,180 times
If I was not comfortable with a person for whatever reason I would not invite that person into my house.
Since you already know that he is a person you are not comfortable being around I support not hiring him again for further projects.
I would rate him only on his work and value of the work on any rating site, not his views of life.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:05 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
Three things you never talk about: Politics, religion and your sex life. With friends, family or especially strangers. You just never know where the proclivities lie.

I live in a part of the country where many local contractors/stores advertise "Christian Friendly". Nope. Not going to happen. Don't care what your religious beliefs are. I just want quality work/product at a fair price. Next.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:35 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post

I play golf with people who have differing political views than me. I work with people who have differing political views than me.
Fortunately my ears are labelled "in" and "out" and my feet still work so I can walk away if I feel the need.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:56 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I've thought about that a few times as I've had a few handymen in over th epast few months.

It worries me that if they realize I am of the opposite persuasion they will see that as an excuse to do slipshod work or worse yet, be vindictively incompetent. And yes, I would not put it past them.

That said, I got screwed over last year by a completely incompetent 'craftsperson' and politics had nothing to do with it.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:01 PM

1,425 posts, read 663,047 times
Does some good to get out of your bubble on occasion.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:32 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I hired a plumber once who came in and saw a political book on my table that my mom had given to my teenage son to read. He zeroed in on it right away and felt like we were kindred spirits so he chatted away. I just kept convo topical and because I wasn't really political at the time and didn't know much about things. Turns out I did agree with him quite a bit, it just took me a few more years to realize it. These days I make sure to have all things even slightly controversial put away before having workers in my home. I don't really care if we agree or disagree on things but I don't want them to be distracted from doing what they are there to do.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:37 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Before having workers in my house I always put away any political books that may be lying around and turn off the TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House