Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 08:27 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
So yesterday I had a guy in who was installing some cabinets for us. This was a project I would have had done months ago if not for the shutdown.

He seemed to be good at the work. I've no complaints about that. But as they day went on and we got a bit more talkative he made his political views known.

They were in total opposition to mine.
How dare he! Surely his political views would be completely comfortable for you if they were identical to yours.

Quote:
Pro tip: Be professional, people.
And you dealt with this highly unacceptable expression of one's views by rushing to your keyboard and letting us all know, for fear some other worker might in the future utter views in opposition to yours.

Sadly, not everyone in the trades reads City-Data Forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 08:43 AM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
Quote:
So yesterday I had a guy in who was installing some cabinets for us. This was a project I would have had done months ago if not for the shutdown.

He seemed to be good at the work. I've no complaints about that. But as they day went on and we got a bit more talkative he made his political views known.

Mind you, I didn't bring up politics but just said how happy I was to be getting this job done since I had to put it off. He said some pretty insulting things, thinking I was of the same mind. I kept my mouth shut about my opinions.

Well, any chance of me ever calling him back to do any work at my house went out the window right then and there.

This is the problem. You've now been put in a position, in your own home, where you cannot voice your own opinions without starting an unwanted argument or risking that this guy, who's already being unprofessional, will retaliate by doing a lousy job. It's never OK for someone else to invade your space and hold you hostage.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:51 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
Does some good to get out of your bubble on occasion.
In this case someone entered the bubble and committed the ultimate offense.
Next time the poster should not talk to anyone they do not know personally as they may be subject to opinions they disagree with.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:16 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,051,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Anyone remember back when you could discuss differing opinions without getting triggered?
I was a vendor at a craft show when a very tall, imposing man came into my booth and began sounding off his views on immigrants. He lived in a nearby county which is known for having militia groups. His frequent refrain was "we have the power now".

Yes, I was " triggered ", but also fearful that this nut, who would know my home address by my business cards, would come out and ask me a direct question concerning my beliefs.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:16 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Anyone remember back when you could discuss differing opinions without getting triggered?
People don't want to hear your opinion. They want to hear their opinion come out of your mouth.

I stole that.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:21 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,773,353 times
I've had this happen with workers in my home. I find it best to use the same tactic we use on a brother with offensive views. We abruptly change the subject, usually by asking a question on the new subject, so they have to answer on a this new topic. With a worker, that new topic would have to do with the job they are there to do. If they're smart, they'll realize what you're doing and stop yapping. If they aren't smart, they will probably not even notice, but are forced to steer their conversation to the work question you've just brought up. If that fails, I suddenly remember someone I must call, or something I need to do in another room.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:54 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,680,407 times
I imagine my views would match most tradesmen. However, I still have never spoken politics with them. Usually I let them work and I hang out in the next room, within reach if needed, but not looking over their shoulder.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:09 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I imagine my views would match most tradesmen. However, I still have never spoken politics with them. Usually I let them work and I hang out in the next room, within reach if needed, but not looking over their shoulder.
Yeah, it has always amazed me how many people on this forum just have random people, tradesmen, passersby on the sidewalk, fellow grocery shoppers, etc. just come up to them and start talking politics.

I'd call bull**** on them all except you know how everything you see on the internet is true.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:11 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:

Mind you, I didn't bring up politics but just said how happy I was to be getting this job done since I had to put it off. He said some pretty insulting things, thinking I was of the same mind. I kept my mouth shut about my opinions.

Well, any chance of me ever calling him back to do any work at my house went out the window right then and there.

Well, in my mind doing a good job at what a tradesman is hired to do is more important to me than his/her political views, so if I needed similar work in the future I would not hesitate to hire that person again. Though listening to lengthy political discourses, especially if they are on the "other side" of my perspectives on the topics would be somewhat annoying, I would take nothing anyone says personally enough to get insulted. But then, I do believe others have a right to their perspectives.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:12 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I can't recall having anyone who did work for us bring up the subject of politics either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House