Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 08:59 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,406,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
spices near the cooktop.
that is my only "must"

oh, one more.
NO wooden cutting boards.
ugh, bacteria factory.
Plastic is worse. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31113021/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 09:22 PM

4,622 posts, read 3,010,154 times
Plastic cutting boards can go in the dishwasher.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:10 AM

30 posts, read 31,901 times
I once owned a home with a HUGE beautiful kitchen and I had to walk around an island and a length of 14' from the refrigerator to the sink prep area. This gets OLD fast... I now own a home with a Galley kitchen where I reach in the refrigerator and can literally turn around and have the items on the prep area next to the sink. This is super convenient and ideal ( for me ) Just thought Id mention the above because its something to ponder when designing a kitchen.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:08 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,073,075 times
Quote:
spices near the cooktop.
that is my only "must"

oh, one more.
ugh, bacteria factory.

We are still seeking a solution for that one that we both can live with (limited counter space and come in a variety of containers and sizes, not to mention the baggies of stuff from Asian markets) - for now we two of these in the pantry, which work well for the standard size spice containers:

https://bestspiceracks.com/youcopia-spicestack-review/

For knives, buy quality and they will not only keep an edge much longer than the less expensive stuff but will last a lifetime. As noted upthread, three solid knives will go a long way. And a wetstone.

For mixing bowls, our favorites are a nested set from IKEA which are 1) stainless, 2) have inside measurement markings, 3) a spout on each, 4) a rubber fitted lids and 5) rubber coating on the bottoms of the bowls so they don't slide around while using them. I have not seen them there in a few years - at least at our local IKEA - but I have seen a similar set from Cuisinart (snapped up a new-in-box set at a garage sale for $10 and gave them to my mom, on the condition that we get first dibs if she decides to part with them). Our IKEA set is used nearly daily and has held up for 15 years with no issues.

Thermoworks thermometers - also mentioned upthread - will get use if you cook or bake much. They have a variety to fit your needs.

Someone also mentioned OXO as highly recommended. The OXO stuff we have (and like, for design and durability) includes a garlic press, peeler and can opener.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:42 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Quote:
ugh, bacteria factory.
Data say not bacteria factory.
Beauty says—buy wood from boazstore.com:

Old 01-11-2021, 12:52 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Data say not bacteria factory.
Beauty says—buy wood from boazstore.com:
Can't espouse $100+ cutting boards. Cheap wood, plastic, marble - none will kill you if you clean them properly and you can always sharpen your knives. None of this is rocket science.

To the OP - if you can build your own house I think you'll do fine buying dishes and cookware - don't sweat it. Buy it as you need it - get reviews on Amazon and read them thoroughly. Then buy wherever you want to...that's all there is to it. None of it is an emergency and it doesn't have to all be done the minute you move into your house.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:35 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,164,835 times
I agree with those saying not to go crazy outfitting your kitchen. Take the basic stuff you already have and use that while making note of what you are wishing for and missing as you prepare food. That's the best way to have what you need and not a lot of things that look like a good idea, but never get used.

Congratulations on the new home and kitchen!

Old 01-12-2021, 01:42 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,287,141 times
One thing that I find that I use a lot in my kitchen are casserole dishes. I have a bunch, but the ones I have used the most is a set that I bought at Crate & Barrel, there are three in varying sizes and I use all three a ton. Warming things up, cooking a small chicken when I don't want to drag out the big roasting pan, making a pasta bake (like ziti, or similar) or a whole bunch of other things.

The things I use the most in my kitchen, other than plates, dishes, cutlery and glasses are:
* Afore-mentioned casserole dishes
* Tongs
* Wooden spoons
* Set of three different-sized mixing bowls. The set that I use the most have a lip so that it is easy to pour stuff out of it.
* Medium sized skillet
* Medium-large-ish pot (big enough to cook pasta, but small enough that you can cook or heat up other things, cook eggs, etc.
* Fine strainer
* Paring knife
* Serrated knife
* Cutting board

I have a whole bunch of other stuff and different sizes and shapes and versions of all of the above, but that list contains the things that I use the most and would be a good start for someone stocking a basic kitchen for the first time.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:18 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,572,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
One thing that I find that I use a lot in my kitchen are casserole dishes. I have a bunch, but the ones I have used the most is a set that I bought at Crate & Barrel, there are three in varying sizes and I use all three a ton. Warming things up, cooking a small chicken when I don't want to drag out the big roasting pan, making a pasta bake (like ziti, or similar) or a whole bunch of other things.

The things I use the most in my kitchen, other than plates, dishes, cutlery and glasses are:
* Afore-mentioned casserole dishes
* Tongs
* Wooden spoons
* Set of three different-sized mixing bowls. The set that I use the most have a lip so that it is easy to pour stuff out of it.
* Medium sized skillet
* Medium-large-ish pot (big enough to cook pasta, but small enough that you can cook or heat up other things, cook eggs, etc.
* Fine strainer
* Paring knife
* Serrated knife
* Cutting board

I have a whole bunch of other stuff and different sizes and shapes and versions of all of the above, but that list contains the things that I use the most and would be a good start for someone stocking a basic kitchen for the first time.
This is a good list. I'd add:
*Pot holders
*peeler
*a set of cooking utensils with slotted spoon, solid spoon, turner, whisk
*measuring cups and spoons
*a 10" cast iron skillet
*can opener

Old 01-12-2021, 06:37 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,287,141 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
This is a good list. I'd add:
*Pot holders
*peeler
*a set of cooking utensils with slotted spoon, solid spoon, turner, whisk
*measuring cups and spoons
*a 10" cast iron skillet
*can opener
Don't forget the corkscrew!

I also use a grater a lot for garlic. I prefer that to slicing or chopping it. It's just easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House