Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 04:41 PM

3 posts, read 2,004 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone we are building a house and are totally excited to finally move in. Since the move in date is coming closer I started thinking of what I need to buy to equip my kitchen since we lack of almost everything. I got to admit, that I am completely overwhelmed with figuring out what I need and all the options out there. Do you have any advise / best-parctices on how I can manage equipping my kitchen quick and stress-free?

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 05:49 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,286,668 times
Do you mean major appliances (like oven, fridge, etc.), or like, utensils, bowls, crockery, cutlery, cookware, kinds of stuff?

Old 01-09-2021, 05:53 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,572,841 times
Hopefully not major appliances if you're moving in soon. There are still extended lead times, high prices, and short supply.

Old 01-10-2021, 05:54 AM

3 posts, read 2,004 times
No I need kitchenware. Major appliances are already purchased and will arrive with the kitchen. I will have to think about what I need and where I want to place it into my kitchen. How did you guys determine what you need and where to store to provide a good workflow in my kitchen. One of my friends told me that she already thought about what she needed and where she wanted to see her kitchenware while she was planning her kitchen to ensure a perfect workflow. Now I am a bit afraid, that I should have done the same and that I won't be able to equip my kitchen with a smooth flow.
When did you start to plan on your kitchenware and where did you do your research of what you need?

Old 01-10-2021, 07:20 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
Basic ideas: Store your plates, cups and eating utensils close to the dishwasher. Easier to unload and put away that way. Keep your cooking utensils near the stove - spatulas and most often used pots and pans.

Think about what small appliances you really need. Our toaster and stand mixer are permanently set on the countertop because they are used frequently . Blender, food processor, etc stay in the pantry until needed.

I really like having those tilt out trays in front of the sink for sponges and scrubbers. Keeps the sink clear.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:37 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,025,119 times
Backing up a moment...

Do you cook?

How often?

Or just microwave stuff?

And so on...

Old 01-10-2021, 08:08 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times
First, I'm curious how you and your spouse (?) have been around long enough to build a house, but not use a kitchen, especially if your screen name alludes to your year of birth.

Second, I suggest buying most of the basics at a thrift store or estate sale. The old stuff is often better than the new and it's a lot cheaper. Since you don't seem to cook much, it shouldn't matter if it's not the latest. Basics would include
  • a set of dishes,
  • flatware,
  • glasses (simple is better),
  • a wood cutting board,
  • a serrated knife,
  • a paring knife,
  • a whetstone,
  • a large pan (no Teflon),
  • and a medium sized pot.

Then go to a dollar store and get a
  • spatula,
  • ladle,
  • can opener,
  • corkscrew,
  • liquid dish soap,
  • some sponges with green scratch pads on the back,
  • and a bottle washer.
Even non-cooks will want to cut a piece of fruit or heat some soup or fry a burger now and then.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:09 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,572,841 times
The process is evolutionary. For months, or even longer, you will be moving things around to find the best places to suit your work flow. It's not cast in stone and certainly nothing to stress over.

Like kab mentioned, have your cooking stuff close to the stove. I like being able to put dishes and glasses directly into a cabinet from the dishwasher. Flatware is less of a concern because you can take the basket from the dishwasher to the drawer.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:38 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabs1964 View Post
No I need kitchenware. Major appliances are already purchased and will arrive with the kitchen. I will have to think about what I need and where I want to place it into my kitchen. How did you guys determine what you need and where to store to provide a good workflow in my kitchen. One of my friends told me that she already thought about what she needed and where she wanted to see her kitchenware while she was planning her kitchen to ensure a perfect workflow. Now I am a bit afraid, that I should have done the same and that I won't be able to equip my kitchen with a smooth flow.
When did you start to plan on your kitchenware and where did you do your research of what you need?
Kitchenware isn't something I really planned per se as I was taught how to set up and run a kitchen at a young age. Ditto on the research. My kitchen is very well kitted out, but I've been cooking from scratch for a very long time so I know exactly what I need and use. The vast majority of my kitchenware is vintage and was sourced from either various family connections, estate/yard sales, and thrift/antique stores. That being said......

Assuming that you're going to be doing at least basic level cooking and serving in your kitchen, the following is a good place to start. Buy the best quality that you can afford. As noted, sometimes the best quality things to be found are second hand/vintage--especially cookware. Don't buy sets, but the pans that you think that you'll use on a regular basis. Here's a list to get you started.

1.) Service (dishes) for at least 4-8 people. This includes plates, bowls, cups, and glasses.

2.) Flatware for at least eight, with at twice that in teaspoons as they tend to be used the most often. This also includes serving utensils such a solid serving spoon, a slotted serving spoon, and a meat fork.

3.) Three mixing bowls (metal, pottery, or glass/ceramic--whichever is your preference). Large, medium, and small.

4.) Wooden utensils, a good pair of medium length tongs, a ladle, a potato masher (handy for mashing more than just potatoes). A rolling pin if you are interested in baking. Measuring cups--both for liquids and for dry ingredients. A set of measuring spoons. A thermometer. A can opener (get a Swingaway or another quality brand for ease of use). A vegetable peeler. A microplane (great for grating everything from zest to Parmesan cheese). At least two silicone spatulas (don't cheap out on these as the cheap ones tend to be flimsy and an exercise in frustration.) A bench knife (good for far more than baking). A plastic bowl scraper is also nice to have on hand.

5.) Three knives--a French/Chef's knife, a paring knife, and an offset serrated knife. Cheap offset serrated knives are fine (like the ones that are sold at restaurant supply stores). Buy the best that you can afford in terms of the other two knives as they will be the daily workhorses in your kitchen. Get a sharpening steel and/or a whetstone to keep them in good working order.

6.) One 10" omelette-type non-stick pan, one 10" skillet (stainless, cast iron, or blue steel), one two handled 12" skillet/wok with a lid, one medium saucepan with lid, and one small stock pot with lid. Medium sized colander/strainer. A Dutch oven is also nice to have on hand as is a kettle for boiling water.

7.) Two cutting boards of the material of your choice. (Avoid glass as they'll dull the edges on your knives in short order.)

8.) Two rolled edge baking sheets. One to two 9" cake pans (good for everything from cakes to biscuits). One 9" pie plate (if you bake). One 12-hole muffin pan.

9.) Ceramic bake/serveware with lids such as Pyrex or Corningware. Three sizes of these should suit any kitchen and can easily go from oven/microwave to the table.

10.) Oven-proof custard cups (four to eight of these). Good for much more than baking.

11.) Storage ware of your choice. I use a mix of vintage Pyrex refrigerator dishes, reused take out containers and jars that other things came in, Mason/snap jars, and Tupperware type food safe plastics.

In terms of determining flow, there are no real hard and fast rules here, although most keep the dish and glassware near the dishwasher and the cookware near the stove/range/oven. Once you're living in the house and using the kitchen on a regular basis, you'll adjust things to suit your own habits and cooking style.

Happy cooking!

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 01-10-2021 at 09:10 AM..

Old 01-10-2021, 10:33 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
In thinking about storage, think about where you will use an item in the kitchen and store it as close as possible. Also consider items that are typically used at the same time.

For example, my cooking utensils are stored in drawers next to the cook top. Spices are next to that. Silverware is in a drawer near the plates and glasses. My knives are in a block near my main prep area.

I keep things like ziploc bags and plastic wrap in a drawer near the fridge. The toaster is close to the bread drawer.

I never actually planned out my kitchen needs. Items were acquired as needed beyond the basic dishes and a few multi-purpose pans that were initially hand-me downs. Others were gifts. I never baked when I first lived on my own or was first married. When I needed to make muffins for the first time, I bought a pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House