Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 12:57 PM

204 posts, read 128,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I’ll give you two out of three. I absolutely HATE the open floor plan too, with visitors looking at the pots, pans, and dirty dishes staring them in the face. Connect the living and dining areas, sure. But keep the kitchen separate and unseen from the main living area.
I don't want to see the kitchen as soon as I step into a home. I think it's a cheaper way to build a home, 4 walls for the main living space- done!

I do like an open floor plan, but also some separation between the rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 01:00 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc123 View Post
I am an older guy (in his 60s), so take this rant accordingly...

What is it with "open" floor plans? I can't stand them.
I like walls.
Walls can hold pictures.
They can hold TVs and bookshelves.
Sofas and recliners can sit next to them.
Lamps for those chairs and sofas can magically be plugged in there without installing floor outlets.

I guess "designers" have decided we are ridiculous for asking for such a room plan.

I would love to meet the genius who "invented" TV-over-fireplace.

The proper position of a TV is with the center of the TV screen positioned at approximately (or just slightly above) eye level. Oh well. At least TV-over-fireplace works for people 12 ft tall or taller, or people who watch the TV 30' feet away out in the kitchen.

Finally, what is with the 12', 18' and even 20'+ ceilings?

Do you really think this old man wants to bring inside an extension ladder into the living room just to dust ceiling cobwebs or to change a light bulb? And that is even before considering the heating and cooling energy waste associated with such a drafty space.

And for what? So it looks more "open"?

No, thanks.
I absolutely hate the title of your post. RANT!!! How about lets discuss instead of rant. Ranting is a good part of what's wrong with this country right now and I don't see why anyone would encourage someone to rant. Ranting is a loss of civility and anyone who incites this kind of behavior is someone I wouldn't want to be associated with. Lets try and tone things down rather than throw kindling on the already raging fire. Words matter

Old 09-28-2021, 08:43 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Open floor plans aka the warehouse look are a clever marketing ploy by developers and builders. First hire great marketing teams and psychologists to convince everyone that a big warehouse space with no walls or doors is superior and make people think that is what they want and must have. Get them to forget that the can simply leave doors between rooms open when they want the rooms connected. Convince them the open plan is better because it looks "cleaner" and other catchy adjectives. Second call other floor plans "dated" or "old fashioned" and get people to look own their noses and shame people who want rooms in their houses.

Now charge more for homes with fewer/no interior walls, doors etc. Spend less - charge more. A perfect business model. THey just need to keep the psychologists and marketers churning and avoid having people stop to think about this.
So cynical! Only the weakest succumb to marketing. The others have been made aware of how their OWN desires can be fulfilled by the product. If ya don't like open floor plans they either build the house you want or look elsewhere. You can pick from thousands of plans, modify any one of them or have a custom-built home. Or buy an old house... My thought was how can anyone buy a house "off the rack" - so I've built both of mine from plans I customized.

People seem to think in extremes - an open floor plan doesn't mean you can see into every space or nook and cranny from any other space. Seriously, most people are so afraid guests will see a dirty dish when they only "entertain" at Christmas for family members! Kinda like people who buy full-size pickups for the once every five years they help someone move a piece of furniture.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:17 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I absolutely hate the title of your post. RANT!!! How about lets discuss instead of rant. Ranting is a good part of what's wrong with this country right now and I don't see why anyone would encourage someone to rant. Ranting is a loss of civility and anyone who incites this kind of behavior is someone I wouldn't want to be associated with. Lets try and tone things down rather than throw kindling on the already raging fire. Words matter
I don't particularly care for your post. My feelings about it are inconsequential. He stated that he wanted to rant, vent.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:24 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
Well-designed open-format homes use design features such as bar-height counters to hide kitchen mess and clutter.

i don't think so

Old 09-28-2021, 11:26 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Who wants to spend their time cooking when you have people over? I find it annoying if the host or hostess spends more time tending to the meal than visiting with the guests. Also, it’s easy to find recipes you can make ahead. That way all the mess is gone before people arrive and your time is spend with people not pots and pans.

I plan ahead, and when my guests arrive, everything is cooked, table set, and I spend almost no time in the kitchen. Because, I am well trained and, university educated on how to entertain. Not me - I don't have an issue.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:32 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post

That's quite a rant, for someone who doesn't like rants.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:37 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
Well-designed open-format homes use design features such as bar-height counters to hide kitchen mess and clutter.
No. Bar height counters are much less desirable now. Years ago they were definitely a trend. But a lot of people that buy older homes are having those tall counters replaced with regular height counters. A standard counter island/peninsula is really a lot more functional. I get the old adage of hiding your clutter and mess… but modern designs for kitchens generally eschew bar height counters.

https://www.toulmincabinetry.com/blo...ng-of-the-past

https://www.eastwoodhomes.com/blog/k...counter-height

Old 09-29-2021, 09:29 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Here in NYC they make the new apartments "open concept", reason being, they can get more apartments per floor by combining the kitchen living room dining room into one small space, plus the requirement of having a kitchen window, if the kitchen is open to the living room you get the window.

In my neighborhood where they make new 6 family homes, the "open concept" is really a living room with the kitchen shoved in the corner, and space wise, to me, it looks like just a big kitchen, but it is techincally the living room dining room kitchen combo.

Of course a "true" open concept is that of suburban homes where the space is 4 times the size of the apartments here in NYC. (and much nicer I'm sure).

Some of them I like, some I don't. Some are designed nice, and some are not. There are so many variables that each person looks for in an open concept...

Old 09-29-2021, 11:24 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,351 times
To each their own, I personally love open concept. We never formally entertain, and when people are over they pretty much congregate in the kitchen/great area anyway. We have a separate formal dining room in our current house, but the only time it ever gets used is if there's no more room at the breakfast nook or the kitchen island.

In our new remodel, the entire main floor is going to be open. If people want some quiet or privacy, there are other areas on the other floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House