Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 10:55 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times

Advertisements

The real question is: do modern floor plans attract or repel lizards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 01:05 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
As far as the non lizard ones we don't find open floor plans to be attractive. Who wants the back of a sofa to be running parallel with what would be a kitchen wall or some sort of bar like opening where the sofa rest against that wall but above the sofa there is an open view of the kitchen.

We saw one house and when you open the front door you can see into the bathroom. If the person in the bathroom did not close the door and happened to be sitting down, well...........

Old 10-02-2021, 03:55 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I put in a large, deep kitchen sink. So I can clear the table of dishes after eating and even though the island with the sink is visible from everywhere in the great room, you don't even see the dishes in the sink for the normal 6 to 8 person gatherings I would typically host.
I have a similar set up. Very glad we thought of not humongous but deep sink - very convenient, hides everything if the need arises.
Dishes could be swiped and go directly to double drawers dishwasher: delicate glassware in one, plates into another; they run concurrently- but different programs - an easy cleanup

Old 10-02-2021, 04:08 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So cynical! Only the weakest succumb to marketing. The others have been made aware of how their OWN desires can be fulfilled by the product. If ya don't like open floor plans they either build the house you want or look elsewhere. You can pick from thousands of plans, modify any one of them or have a custom-built home. Or buy an old house... My thought was how can anyone buy a house "off the rack" - so I've built both of mine from plans I customized.

People seem to think in extremes - an open floor plan doesn't mean you can see into every space or nook and cranny from any other space. Seriously, most people are so afraid guests will see a dirty dish when they only "entertain" at Christmas for family members! Kinda like people who buy full-size pickups for the once every five years they help someone move a piece of furniture.
When I buy an older house - I remove a wall or 2 - it is just works better for our family lifestyle.

We like the main living area to be more open as we are a casual family.

Someones reads and/or watches something on big screen, we can ask a question or discuss something right away and talk while cooking, doing a little clean up and when we sit down to dinner - oh, the horror- we sometimes may continue watching something if it is not streaming.

Plenty of other places in the house to have some privacy if one needs to work, talk or wants to watch something different, read or just take a nap in a cosy location- away from the main living space.

Old 10-02-2021, 04:31 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL no it won't be - most people have definite deal breakers and it's the realtor's job to figure that part out. For instance, for me, I had to have a fire place. I also had to have a semi closed floor plan, but with plenty of natural light. LOTS of natural light actually. An upstairs was OK but only if the master was on the main floor - same with a basement and the laundry room. My realtor knew this going into it.

I am totally with you on the whole open floor plan thing. I want some walls and some separation. I already have art work and furniture - I want a wall to put that stuff on. Thankfully I live in a nearly perfect house right now and I am so grateful for it. But the plan is to move to wherever my daughter and her family move in about four more years so we'll see what happens then.
We could probably agree on a lot of what we would like. I'd like a nice master and utility room on the main floor for aging in place. I am not against a second story, although I would prefer a daylight basement. I figure I could install a chair ride or elevator if worse came to worse. I do want to be able to access the entire home in my old age even if it's just to know everything is fine and as it should be. I am not fond of decks. Give me a stone or cement type patio. I would like a mud room off the utility room even when living in the city in case I get another dog. I'd want to be able to build a catico off of it in case I get a cat.

I am not as willing to buy something that needs a lot of work as I once would have been. It's too hard to find good, reliable people. That's not to say I wouldn't redo a kitchen or bathroom if everything else about the house made me happy. A new roof, no problem. I don't care if the garage is attached or unattached. I just don't want a house that has a prominent garage when it's looked at from the curb. I can't let that be a deal breaker because it's so common. I keep telling myself that it's the inside of the house and the location that is most important.

My sister has a butler's pantry between her kitchen and the dining room. I would really like that, but hers is the only house I have seen with one. But her washer and dryer are only in a closet. Deal breaker - I want a utility room.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Having owned and lived in both... I don't care for the kitchen totally removed with doors sealing off the space...

I also don't care for big open barns either...

Give a medium and I am happy...

Old 10-02-2021, 09:04 PM

474 posts, read 406,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
We could probably agree on a lot of what we would like. I'd like a nice master and utility room on the main floor for aging in place. I am not against a second story, although I would prefer a daylight basement. I figure I could install a chair ride or elevator if worse came to worse. I do want to be able to access the entire home in my old age even if it's just to know everything is fine and as it should be. I am not fond of decks. Give me a stone or cement type patio. I would like a mud room off the utility room even when living in the city in case I get another dog. I'd want to be able to build a catico off of it in case I get a cat.

I am not as willing to buy something that needs a lot of work as I once would have been. It's too hard to find good, reliable people. That's not to say I wouldn't redo a kitchen or bathroom if everything else about the house made me happy. A new roof, no problem. I don't care if the garage is attached or unattached. I just don't want a house that has a prominent garage when it's looked at from the curb. I can't let that be a deal breaker because it's so common. I keep telling myself that it's the inside of the house and the location that is most important.

My sister has a butler's pantry between her kitchen and the dining room. I would really like that, but hers is the only house I have seen with one. But her washer and dryer are only in a closet. Deal breaker - I want a utility room.
You have been reading my mind. Stop that!

Old 10-03-2021, 12:08 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
Well-designed open-format homes use design features such as bar-height counters to hide kitchen mess and clutter.
It looks pretty; however, a well-designed kitchen does not require a step-stool be left out to reach the ultra-high upper cabinets that your picture shows. That's an accident waiting to happen for a lot of people, including me.
I prefer more counter space and more drawers and cabinets than are shown, and for a level island in the middle.

And, yes, a wall!

Old 10-03-2021, 03:32 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc123 View Post
What is it with "open" floor plans? I can't stand them.
There are those who hate architects and interior designers.
Just ask some builders.

You also can blame HGTV and some of those stupid house shows. Although supposedly "reality" TV. All of those shows have a crew of about 20. From directors to producers to who knows what. Those HGTV shows are there for ratiings and advertisiing revenue. All are edited and some are scripted by professional "writers".

Usually women want the fireplace to be the focal point of any living room. Therefore - where does the TV go?
Not all, but most people watch TV. So the TV should be centered for all to view as equally as possible. So how does the architect/interior designer place both a TV and a fireplace ? They throw the TV above the fireplace in some instances. Have seen more than a few new homes where there is a nice fireplace and the TV is placed on top of a cheap metal folding table - with wires running across the floor. Over to one side. So all viewing TV have to have their heads turned constantly.

Architects and interior designers. Put them all up against the wall and . . . . .

Old 10-03-2021, 09:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
There are those who hate architects and interior designers.
Just ask some builders.

You also can blame HGTV and some of those stupid house shows. Although supposedly "reality" TV. All of those shows have a crew of about 20. From directors to producers to who knows what. Those HGTV shows are there for ratiings and advertisiing revenue. All are edited and some are scripted by professional "writers".

Usually women want the fireplace to be the focal point of any living room. Therefore - where does the TV go?
Not all, but most people watch TV. So the TV should be centered for all to view as equally as possible. So how does the architect/interior designer place both a TV and a fireplace ? They throw the TV above the fireplace in some instances. Have seen more than a few new homes where there is a nice fireplace and the TV is placed on top of a cheap metal folding table - with wires running across the floor. Over to one side. So all viewing TV have to have their heads turned constantly.

Architects and interior designers. Put them all up against the wall and . . . . .
Or do this:
Attached Thumbnails
Rant about modern floor plans-living-room-jazmin-circle-2019.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House