Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 01:38 PM

172 posts, read 117,775 times

Advertisements

It depends on the house in question. If it's a normal or smaller house, then open floor plan can make it feel less claustrophobic. There are certainly negatives to open floor plan, but to me I'd rather one big space.

A bigger house can have the square footage to have a mixture of both.

Now if it's a really big house, then you can have big rooms that are separate. You will pay for it in maintenance and cleaning.

Big windows can also make a space feel a lot larger, but usually only during day light hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 02:00 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,026,322 times
My almost 2100 sq ft. house is for the most part, open. It was built in 2003. The only room not open (beside the obvious beds and baths) is the kitchen. It is walled off. I'm glad as its the perfect floor plan for us. We aren't always cleaning the kitchen (I know we should) but if it was open, I would feel obligated to. Thats just something in my head I guess.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
62 windows! We have 13. That's counting the garage and the glass block in the master bath.
I think I only have 15! Which is enough, believe me, for all kinds of light. My house is full of natural light. The windows are tall and I don't have curtains over most of them. The only rooms without lots of natural light (windows) are one bathroom and the laundry room.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc123 View Post
One point being left out is you have to clean all of those windows.

I like windows, but like all design elements, moderation and function should play a part. Maybe just my cynicism, but some of today's designs look more like marketing. "Let's put a window here. It will look great in the picture!"

If your house has a mountain or water view, you may not mind cleaning all those windows.
Thankfully, where I live I can hire someone to clean my windows and it's super reasonable. YAY!!!!!

I don't have tons of windows but I do have very tall windows and some transoms so in order to clean the windows well I'd have to get up on a ladder, and ladders and I don't play well together.

I was shocked at how reasonable the prices to clean windows are but it's all in the tools. I don't have all the tools and don't want to go buy them either.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:30 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,844 times
I can see the appeal of both; for me personally, I like my walls (and 8' ceilings).

The entrance/exit between living room and kitchen is wider than a door, but still there is a wall between the two and I love having the living room darker for streaming (and napping ) and then walking into a brighter kitchen.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:36 PM

1,655 posts, read 776,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I can see the appeal of both; for me personally, I like my walls (and 8' ceilings).

The entrance/exit between living room and kitchen is wider than a door, but still there is a wall between the two and I love having the living room darker for streaming (and napping ) and then walking into a brighter kitchen.
This is what I like. A clear divide but wider than your average door opening between the two. You can still communicate with those in the kitchen but you aren’t in the same room.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:07 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,930 times
I think open floor plans gained popularity for two reasons:
* They are easier to film on TV
* They allow women to spend time with the family while still being restricted to the kitchen (it's called compromise)

Old 09-29-2021, 05:41 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I think open floor plans gained popularity for two reasons:
* They are easier to film on TV
* They allow women to spend time with the family while still being restricted to the kitchen (it's called compromise)
Sure. SO can fill my wine glass while he is cooking.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:28 PM

981 posts, read 900,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I am 72. She is 63.
We live in an open floor plan house. Built in 2011.
We love the design.
I love your home beautiful!

Old 09-29-2021, 09:46 PM

981 posts, read 900,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Why not? We love our window wall.
Love your outdoor furniture where did u purchase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House