Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2021, 01:24 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,054,711 times

Advertisements

OP I hope you find your answer. We get these cracking noises in one room of our house. It's probably just the house settling but I'm sensitive to noise and it bothers me when it happens. I've kind of gotten used to it.

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Heckling"?

Three properties that the OP bought and owned have proven problematic.

Two properties the OP either rented or stayed in as a guest have not.

I'm offering a solution; in fact, the OBVIOUS solution (sell, rent, don't buy).

The OP is obviously not interested in solutions or helpful advice.

But carry on!
I know. I don't discount that the OP is hearing noises that are occurring, but I do think that they are noises that most of us would hardly notice.

102 posts, read 86,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I have paid a lot more attention to the noise in my house since I read this post. I have determined recently that my house gets a whole lot noisier with Wind.

Before I fixed my soil/drainage issues (2017-2019) my house had started to sound like a ship at sea I suppose (and I discovered how high our water table here is). I would think the opposite in the desert is that more water is being sucked out of underground wells there.

I agree, in very dry climates the opposite happens. Compromised acoustics come with light weight wood construction. I don't know why some homes have it a lot more than others, to the point of making the house unbearable. Truss uplift and Wood shrinkage are major issues of wood frame homes and nail pulling is a common problem. Like I said the movement isn't visual, but 1/10th of an inch will release a big bang. To my surprise, this house is noisy ALL the time, even when it's calm out there (no wind), and the temperature outside isn't changing and it's nice and warm. constant tap, tap, tap, knock, knock, knock, bang, bang, bang ... annoying to say at the very least, wakes us up all the time

Old 11-04-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
OP I hope you find your answer. We get these cracking noises in one room of our house. It's probably just the house settling but I'm sensitive to noise and it bothers me when it happens. I've kind of gotten used to it.

Yes, I'm sensitive to noise, but my other half isn't (he can sleep through hailstorm) but they still wake him up. Some are very very loud, Almost like a bomb hitting your roof/ceiling. One must be deaf not to hear them and they occur ALL THE TIME and they are not just in one room. They can be heard throughout the entire house. Constantly tapping, knocking, banging I'm surprised how often they happen, that's why it's very hard to ignore them

Last edited by coolsara; 11-04-2021 at 01:40 PM..

Old 11-04-2021, 02:28 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsara View Post
Thanks for your comments. I'm happy for you. Cherish your home everyday because there are millions of run down homes out there, .

Well my old house is certainly, er, run down lol. That's putting it mildly. It had been empty for 18 months, and neglected for many years prior. But I knew the issues before I bought it. It's the only kind of house I could afford, a fixer upper. Whether it ever gets fixed up is another matter. That may have to wait for the next owner, when I am carried out in the proverbial box. But it's mine and I love it.

Old 11-04-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsara View Post
Yes, I'm sensitive to noise, but my other half isn't (he can sleep through hailstorm) but they still wake him up. Some are very very loud, Almost like a bomb hitting your roof/ceiling. One must be deaf not to hear them and they occur ALL THE TIME and they are not just in one room. They can be heard throughout the entire house. Constantly tapping, knocking, banging I'm surprised how often they happen, that's why it's very hard to ignore them

I suffer from misophonia and hyperacusis as well. And the olfactory equivalent, hypersomia, which is extremely severe.

I feel assaulted by noise and smells all day long and am shattered with exhaustion by the time I get home each evening.

I would not last 15 minutes in your house.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Well my old house is certainly, er, run down lol. That's putting it mildly. It had been empty for 18 months, and neglected for many years prior. But I knew the issues before I bought it. It's the only kind of house I could afford, a fixer upper. Whether it ever gets fixed up is another matter. That may have to wait for the next owner, when I am carried out in the proverbial box. But it's mine and I love it.

I suffer from misophonia and hyperacusis as well. And the olfactory equivalent, hypersomia, which is extremely severe.

I feel assaulted by noise and smells all day long and am shattered with exhaustion by the time I get home each evening.

I would not last 15 minutes in your house.

Well, not quite. No matter how run down your home looks on the surface, You have peace and quiet which to me is the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of a home. Anything on the surface with a home can be replaced/fixed. It's the structural and acoustic integrity of a home that matters, not the superficial stuff which most people pay attention to. My home is remodeled and looks great on the surface, the tragedy is that it's located in a very quiet area too. But something is wrong with the house; popping, pounding, knocking and snapping constantly. The noises intensify in intensity and frequency as soon as the sun comes up, that's when the whole house goes nuts and it stays like that the whole day, everyday, lucky for me they are changing the clock on Sunday, which means the loud noises are gonna start at 5 am instead of 6am ... we are always sleep deprived, the noises could be even heard for hours after the sun gone down, there is NO ESCAPE from them since every single room has it. In an hour, you may get 20 snaps, knocks and bangs from every corner of a room. Hard to sleep as we are always on the edge waiting for the next loud pop, snap or bang to be woken up to.

I suffer from misophonia and hyperacusis as well. Like I said the loud ones wake up my other half (50% of times they are very loud as if a bomb just hit the ceiling) and he isn't sensitive to noise and can sleep through hailstorm. I work from home and feel really agitated by the constant banging, knocking and pounding around me. I know it sounds extreme to most people, but I feel trapped, like living in a war zone, having to listen to these loud structural noises Unfortunately none of the experts who've been at the house have offered a solid solution so far. I think about moving a lot, but I'm afraid of moving, what if the next house is just as bad? I guess 50% (or more) of wood frame homes (at least where I live) have compromised acoustics and are EXTREMELY NOISY, so it's just a matter of luck. I feel trapped, and I'm drained of energy and time

Old 11-04-2021, 05:16 PM

It doesn't sound extreme to me coolsara, it sounds devastating. Just reading your posts causes my anxiety to kick in.

Yes my house is very solid, it's amazing. I can't even hear any weather, when I am snug inside.

In my old place, a second floor apartment I lived in for 22 years, I could hear the weather all the time, including on the roof, and when the wind hit, the whole building would shake. The house did pop and crack a bit when the sun hit it, first in the morning on the east side, and then in the late afternoon on the west, but nothing like what you are getting.

Come to think of it I did now and then used to hear a pop or crack in the night too, above my head, but it wasn't frequent and though it would worry me at the time I would forget about it until the next time it happened. That house was built in 1982.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It doesn't sound extreme to me coolsara, it sounds devastating. Just reading your posts causes my anxiety to kick in.

Yes my house is very solid, it's amazing. I can't even hear any weather, when I am snug inside.

In my old place, a second floor apartment I lived in for 22 years, I could hear the weather all the time, including on the roof, and when the wind hit, the whole building would shake. The house did pop and crack a bit when the sun hit it, first in the morning on the east side, and then in the late afternoon on the west, but nothing like what you are getting.

Come to think of it I did now and then used to hear a pop or crack in the night too, above my head, but it wasn't frequent and though it would worry me at the time I would forget about it until the next time it happened. That house was built in 1982.

I'm sorry I don't mean to cause you anxiety. It's been really devastating. Cherish your well built home. If I could ever find a home like yours, I would NEVER LEAVE They are millions of flimsy wood chip glued cardboard boxes out there that have the false pretense of a house, like house of cards they are just made of Weak beams, plywood, flimsy insulation, flimsy siding and shabby roofing material that blows off in high winds or just rots away after a few years.

Your place built in 82, was it an apartment or a house? Wood frame Apartments are just as flimsy as homes, made the same way. It's normal to get some noises in wood frame structures (during wind, sunrise or sunset), the previous apartment building I lived in had some of them, but nothing to this degree. There is constant popping, pounding, knocking and banging coming from this house, even when there is no sun, no wind, or nothing running (AC or plumbing), much LOUDER and MORE FREQUENT than the apartment I lived in. No peace and quiet, it sucks and It's there all day, every day

Last edited by coolsara; 11-04-2021 at 06:04 PM..

Old 11-04-2021, 06:15 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,227,551 times
The earplugs they use for rifle ranges might help. The foam ones that you squish to place them and then they fill in all the space. At least you could get some sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House