Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 03:37 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,189,012 times

Advertisements

I will do what Diana Holbrook suggested. If I can get it out of my head and stop driving myself nuts with what the heck that number is. Of course, as soon as I ditch it and get more clutter out of my life that is when I will find the paperwork with the number on it. That is my luck but I'm going to make myself get rid of it. No more keeping stupid things I no longer need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 03:50 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I have to declutter everything I no longer use, need. My Father was a hoarder in the making and I don't want to become one myself. I have to do this to prove to myself that I will not become a hoarder. That and the fact that I can't stand that my home key is inside. It's driving me nuts that I can't remember that darn number.
I get the hoarding thing. I, too, fight my genetic hoarding tendencies every day of my life (and am winning).

I don't understand the key thing though. Change your locks, what's the big deal? Maybe I'm missing something.

Quote:
I will do what Diana Holbrook suggested. If I can get it out of my head and stop driving myself nuts with what the heck that number is. Of course, as soon as I ditch it and get more clutter out of my life that is when I will find the paperwork with the number on it. That is my luck but I'm going to make myself get rid of it. No more keeping stupid things I no longer need.

It's highly likely you already tossed the paper work.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I get the hoarding thing. I, too, fight my genetic hoarding tendencies every day of my life (and am winning).

I don't understand the key thing though. Change your locks, what's the big deal? Maybe I'm missing something.

It's highly likely you already tossed the paper work.
I'm glad to know you are winning. Keep at it and don't get stuck on something like worrying about it like I did with the key lock.

I still can't get myself to throw it away yet. I think maybe it just urks me and I fear someone will then have an easy entrance into my home.

But now that I think of it I do need the keyfob to get in so that in of itself is a good reason for me not to worry about it. I can't think of any other reason I feel so compelled to come on this site and find a solution other than just throw the damn thing away.

Now to find a dumpster. I never paid attention to where they are located other than my lot.

Tomorrow I will get rid of it. Then work on other things I don't need.

Last edited by staystill; 05-06-2023 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: and yes it is very likely I tossed the paperwork, I bet you are right about that. Thank you

Old 05-06-2023, 05:06 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
I was showing house to a couple. The lady said, "Why do all the houses in Maine have doors that open to the inside?"

I said, "So we don't have to jump out a window to get out." She didn't understand. I said Once in a while we get 3 feet of snow in one night. You get up in the morning and the snow is up to the doorknob. She said, "Really?" I showed her a picture of my back door and there was a perfect impression of the door in the snow when the door was opened - to the inside. I think they bought a house in West Virginia.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:33 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Dig a hole. Put it in the bottom. Maybe put a flowering shrub on top.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:44 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
I'm glad to know you are winning. Keep at it and don't get stuck on something like worrying about it like I did with the key lock.

I still can't get myself to throw it away yet. I think maybe it just urks me and I fear someone will then have an easy entrance into my home.

But now that I think of it I do need the keyfob to get in so that in of itself is a good reason for me not to worry about it. I can't think of any other reason I feel so compelled to come on this site and find a solution other than just throw the damn thing away.

Now to find a dumpster. I never paid attention to where they are located other than my lot.

Tomorrow I will get rid of it. Then work on other things I don't need.

You might find this helpful, this thing I have started doing when I am de-hoarding. ( I saw your edit comment about throwing away the papers) When I go through stuff, I mark the box with the date I last went through it. I've been doing this for years.

What I've now added is, if I go through a box and next time throw something away from it, I make a note of that on the box too. For instance one box, among other things listed on the cover had "photograph blanket gift from (name). I've kept this thing for years, even though I don't really like it, and I don't like remembering the family who gave it to me, but it seemed so callous to throw it away, as it is such a personal gift. Last time I went up there to sort, I took it out and tossed it, but I wrote on the box that I did and the date I got rid of it.

This way when I go looking for something later, I will know that I already chucked it. I have a rule I made for myself, every time I go upstairs, I must come down with something to get rid of. It's a challenge sometimes lol. The other day I went up just to sit and enjoy some time in a neutral space, and almost came down without something. But I stopped and looked around and finally grabbed the pressure cooker lid to my slow cooker/pressure cooker combination pot. I will never use it as a pressure cooker, I bought it for a slow cooker, because I didn't like any of the slow cooker options. So I got rid of the pressure cooker lid.

Cardboard boxes are my worst thing, but I am militant about them now.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:58 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,210,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I was showing house to a couple. The lady said, "Why do all the houses in Maine have doors that open to the inside?"

I said, "So we don't have to jump out a window to get out." She didn't understand. I said Once in a while we get 3 feet of snow in one night. You get up in the morning and the snow is up to the doorknob. She said, "Really?" I showed her a picture of my back door and there was a perfect impression of the door in the snow when the door was opened - to the inside. I think they bought a house in West Virginia.
LOL. The real reason is, unless you have a continuous hing door ( go look that up) if the door opened out wards the hing pins would be on the outside and you could save money on a lock because why have one if anybody could just remove the pins and get in?

Old 05-06-2023, 06:07 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
sledgehammer it. Let the local highschool kids sledgehammer it. Or take it to a local school fair and have them take donations from people to take a few whacks at it ( 2 swings for a dollar, 20 for Five dollars) and the person who finally breaks it open gets some kind of cheesy prize or a gift certificate to a local restaurant. It will come apart sooner or later (if for donations it would be best if it held out for a while and some folks had their 'strong man' egos damaged and more 'He-Men' have to give it a try)

Or take it to the local Vo-tech school and have them cut it open with a cutting wheel or torch. If you don't care if it is reusable it could be fun!

Old 05-06-2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
You might find this helpful, this thing I have started doing when I am de-hoarding. ( I saw your edit comment about throwing away the papers) When I go through stuff, I mark the box with the date I last went through it. I've been doing this for years.

What I've now added is, if I go through a box and next time throw something away from it, I make a note of that on the box too. For instance one box, among other things listed on the cover had "photograph blanket gift from (name). I've kept this thing for years, even though I don't really like it, and I don't like remembering the family who gave it to me, but it seemed so callous to throw it away, as it is such a personal gift. Last time I went up there to sort, I took it out and tossed it, but I wrote on the box that I did and the date I got rid of it.

This way when I go looking for something later, I will know that I already chucked it. I have a rule I made for myself, every time I go upstairs, I must come down with something to get rid of. It's a challenge sometimes lol. The other day I went up just to sit and enjoy some time in a neutral space, and almost came down without something. But I stopped and looked around and finally grabbed the pressure cooker lid to my slow cooker/pressure cooker combination pot. I will never use it as a pressure cooker, I bought it for a slow cooker, because I didn't like any of the slow cooker options. So I got rid of the pressure cooker lid.

Cardboard boxes are my worst thing, but I am militant about them now.
That sounds like a good system you have. I should try that. It sounds similar to when I was packing for moving I made up a list of what is in each box I numbered. I also was cautious about what I labeled the boxes so the movers if tempted wouldn't open them and take what they want. Dating when you tossed items is a smart idea. You can know how often you are decluttering each box, very smart. To me that is like when I finally got that tape for freezer/refrigerator food labeling. I use that for sell by dates and when I put the leftovers in the fridge.

LOL cardboard boxes I had almost an entire den filled with them. I told myself I have to save them in case I need to return what I bought online. I finally got around to cutting them all up and taping them for the recycle room. But I admit I needed to be told it's ok to get rid of them. For some unknown reason that seems to help me get started on pushing forward. I have styrofoam packing for decorative plates I can't seem to part with them *sigh*.

It's also that I keep thinking in the back of my mind I might have to move again. I'm so tired of always having to pack up and move. I finally got where it's peaceful here and maybe I can have some kind of hope that I won't have to move again.

I am also so tired of having to look in 3 different places to find one thing. I am finally condensing cleaners and mops, brooms oh and new dyson vac into one closet and it's organized now. I got one of those wall organizers for those mops and brooms a very kind family member helped me with. Then I hired a guy to put an outlet in that closet for the vacuum cleaner and he screwed the holder into the wall for the vac. I'm finally getting somewhere with organizing. I moved here on the fly with two adorable cats. They have since passed and I think that got me to stop keeping up with everyday living. I was sort of ok before they passed over the rainbow bridge. But I had to work all day, help my Mother and get to therapy for pain. When covid came I got sick and now have asthma I swear from bronchitis that I never get since I was in my 20's. So for me other than my Father being a pack rat as we called him instead of hoarder. I remember I told them once that I cannot sleep with dishes in the sink. He said to that "we will change that" he wasn't kidding they filled that sink so many times from eating all day. Now I never leave dishes in the sink I always have them clean or in dishwasher and I clean the sink too.

There are so many reasons why we do this not letting go of things sentimental or not. I hope we both get a day to just grab and let go. Oh btw I also use the extra cloth bags from the supermarket when I get them to deliver. They are easy to carry to the dumpster

Old 05-06-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
LOL. The real reason is, unless you have a continuous hing door ( go look that up) if the door opened out wards the hing pins would be on the outside and you could save money on a lock because why have one if anybody could just remove the pins and get in?
I had to look that up LOL. I live in a condo so no problem with that. This thing is unbelievable how strong it is. I have never seen anything like it. I have to let it go before I obsess about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House