Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 10:31 AM

2,667 posts, read 1,189,012 times

Advertisements

Ok I don't know where else to post this.

I am still decluttering and came across a very strong, heavy keylock not the cheezy kind that is also hard to open when forgetting the combination number in hardware stores. It has my home key inside it and I cannot for the life of me remember the 4 digit combination.

Is it safe to throw away anyway?

Should I try and get it out and if yes how?

I can't get the darn thing open it is very well made. Plus to make it worse I cannot call the company if came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 10:33 AM

13,079 posts, read 7,519,082 times
pretty easy to decode.
YouTube, it.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
pretty easy to decode.
YouTube, it.

The video said it comes with a code and look for it on the paperwork but I cannot find the paperwork from the Company. Plus I didn't do that thing it said to do when first receiving it. I just put the key in and used that code. Until I find that paperwork I cannot get their code.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:04 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
If it has nothing in it tying it to your address, it should be pretty safe to throw away. (is there any kind of key tag on it with the address?) If you worry about theft from your own trash, dump it somewhere else.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-06-2023 at 11:41 AM..

Old 05-06-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
If it has nothing in it tying it to your address, it should be pretty safe to throw away. (is there any kind of key tage on it with the address?) If you worry about theft from your own trash, dump it somewhere else.
I am looking all outside this thing and no name except the Company name. My name and address are not on it anywhere. I don't see a serial number anywhere on the outside either.

You may be right that I could just dump it in a dumpster outside my area. Unless someone finds it in the dumpster, garbage truck and decides to return it to the company. They might have my name and number assigned to some serial number inside. i hope not I want nothing to do with that Company ever again after the employee drove me up a wall by refusing to close out my account and send a final bill.

Old 05-06-2023, 01:53 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
If it's important enough to keep then go see a locksmith to pen it up.

Old 05-06-2023, 02:00 PM

13,079 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
The video said it comes with a code and look for it on the paperwork but I cannot find the paperwork from the Company. Plus I didn't do that thing it said to do when first receiving it. I just put the key in and used that code. Until I find that paperwork I cannot get their code.
look for the vid made by YouTubers, not from the manufacturer.
ycmv

Old 05-06-2023, 02:28 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,591,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
look for the vid made by YouTubers, not from the manufacturer.
ycmv

Okay I'll bite. What on earth is that?

OP If this is causing you so much anxiety can't you just throw the thing in a box with other stuff, and keep it until you die or move, when it won't matter?

Or, change the locks on your house now, so the key no longer fits?

Old 05-06-2023, 02:48 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,210,311 times
Just smash it with a sledge hammer. Or cut hinges with a grinder. Or cold steel chisel to the hinges.

Old 05-06-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Okay I'll bite. What on earth is that?

OP If this is causing you so much anxiety can't you just throw the thing in a box with other stuff, and keep it until you die or move, when it won't matter?

Or, change the locks on your house now, so the key no longer fits?
I have to declutter everything I no longer use, need. My Father was a hoarder in the making and I don't want to become one myself. I have to do this to prove to myself that I will not become a hoarder. That and the fact that I can't stand that my home key is inside. It's driving me nuts that I can't remember that darn number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House