Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 08:05 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,173,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
sledgehammer it. Let the local highschool kids sledgehammer it. Or take it to a local school fair and have them take donations from people to take a few whacks at it ( 2 swings for a dollar, 20 for Five dollars) and the person who finally breaks it open gets some kind of cheesy prize or a gift certificate to a local restaurant. It will come apart sooner or later (if for donations it would be best if it held out for a while and some folks had their 'strong man' egos damaged and more 'He-Men' have to give it a try)

Or take it to the local Vo-tech school and have them cut it open with a cutting wheel or torch. If you don't care if it is reusable it could be fun!
I though about dropping it over my balcony but this thing would break the sidewalk. I like your ideas and it would be fun for people to try and open it. I should look into it at the next carnival if I still have it by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 08:04 AM

2,018 posts, read 1,311,615 times
Show it to a small child and tell them "don't open this because it will spoil the surprise".
Place it where they can reach it and leave the room.

Old 05-07-2023, 08:07 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I had to look that up LOL. I live in a condo so no problem with that. This thing is unbelievable how strong it is. I have never seen anything like it. I have to let it go before I obsess about it.

If there are no markings on the case identifying the house that it was at and the key inside doesn't have any markings identifying where it is for you could just drive 10 or 15 miles away from your home and drop ot in a trashcan at a fast food restaurant or a gas station and it will never be traced back to where it would work.

Even if you dropped it in your trashcan just before trash is picked up it will be comingled with all the trash in your neighborhood then compressed down as they fill the truck and eventually be put in a landfill with trash from thousands of other houses. The problem would only come in if someone pulled it from your trash can before it went into the trash truck. That is why I suggested doing it very close to pickup time and keeping an eye on the trash until it goes in the truck.

Old 05-07-2023, 11:03 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
If you are really worried about it, take it to a locksmith and pay them the $15 to open it up and remove the cylinder. They can then rekey it or remove the pins from the cylinder and you can go on your merry way.

Old 05-07-2023, 01:09 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
LOL. The real reason is, unless you have a continuous hing door ( go look that up) if the door opened out wards the hing pins would be on the outside and you could save money on a lock because why have one if anybody could just remove the pins and get in?
Most good outswing doors sold in at least the last 45 years come with fixed pin hinges so you cannot just pop the pin out. Fixed pin hinges have been around much longer than that.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:03 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
locksmiths can open anything.
if it is bothering you then pay a locksmith to open it.
for your own peace of mind.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:09 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Show it to a small child and tell them "don't open this because it will spoil the surprise".
Place it where they can reach it and leave the room.
that is very funny!!!!
and also very true.

i remember when my toddler son, who could not even read yet,
when everyone was opening presents on some holiday, and one of the men got a fancy new watch and we were all sitting around reading the manual trying to figure out how to use the new watch,

while meantime my toddler son picked it up and started pushing buttons and within a couple minutes had it working. this was repeated constantly over the years with pretty much anything electronic or mechanical. the little kids got things working in no time flat, without ever once looking at the instructions.

i asked them over the years in genuine amazement how they could do that without even reading the manual, how did they know what to do, and they looked slightly annoyed at the question and said, "you just do it" like doesn't everyone know how to do it and its so obvious . i'm still amazed.

Old 05-08-2023, 04:47 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post

LOL cardboard boxes I had almost an entire den filled with them. I told myself I have to save them in case I need to return what I bought online. I finally got around to cutting them all up and taping them for the recycle room. But I admit I needed to be told it's ok to get rid of them. For some unknown reason that seems to help me get started on pushing forward. I have styrofoam packing for decorative plates I can't seem to part with them *sigh*.

It's also that I keep thinking in the back of my mind I might have to move again. I'm so tired of always having to pack up and move. I finally got where it's peaceful here and maybe I can have some kind of hope that I won't have to move again.

I think that's how my card board box hoarding started. I kept thinking I was going to "move soon". But like you, after a few years, especially in the age of on line shopping, they soon began to take over my tiny apartment. I realized the big storage closet was packed full of flat boxes and they were starting to be propped up along the wall behind furniture. One day I went after them and got rid of all them. Took them out to my bin and then called my friend who picked up my trash then, begged him to come right then to take them all away or I'd be bring them back inside. He laughed his head off about that I can tell you, but he did it. I felt like I'd given away a child or something lol. But it got easier, and now I never save a box, even though it still hurts to get rid of a "good box". (and when I did finally move I didn't have any boxes to do it)

Quote:
I am also so tired of having to look in 3 different places to find one thing. I am finally condensing cleaners and mops, brooms oh and new dyson vac into one closet and it's organized now. I got one of those wall organizers for those mops and brooms a very kind family member helped me with. Then I hired a guy to put an outlet in that closet for the vacuum cleaner and he screwed the holder into the wall for the vac. I'm finally getting somewhere with organizing. I moved here on the fly with two adorable cats. They have since passed and I think that got me to stop keeping up with everyday living. I was sort of ok before they passed over the rainbow bridge. But I had to work all day, help my Mother and get to therapy for pain. When covid came I got sick and now have asthma I swear from bronchitis that I never get since I was in my 20's. So for me other than my Father being a pack rat as we called him instead of hoarder. I remember I told them once that I cannot sleep with dishes in the sink. He said to that "we will change that" he wasn't kidding they filled that sink so many times from eating all day. Now I never leave dishes in the sink I always have them clean or in dishwasher and I clean the sink too.
A friend gave me a brilliant idea for knowing where things are when you need them. She said get an old address book, they are alphabetized and write down where you keep things under the appropriate letter. I haven't done that yet, because I haven't got an address book to use. Probably could find one in the dollar store.

Quote:
There are so many reasons why we do this not letting go of things sentimental or not. I hope we both get a day to just grab and let go. Oh btw I also use the extra cloth bags from the supermarket when I get them to deliver. They are easy to carry to the dumpster
I hoarded plastic grocery bags for years, because I use them as trash and dirty cat litter bags. Then when they were banned I also bought a case of 500 from Amazon so I can continue to use them for cat litter . I double them. My sister found my stash when I moved and used them for packing up my kitchen, so I still have all the old grocery bags too. I do use them, but the way I use them now, I am likely to have them last my lifetime.

Last edited by catsmom21; 05-08-2023 at 05:26 AM..

Old 05-08-2023, 05:11 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,602,694 times
The Lockpicking Lawyer shows how insecure most locks are, you might find your lock as an example…

https://www.youtube.com/@lockpickinglawyer/videos

Old 05-08-2023, 08:00 AM

1,489 posts, read 791,580 times
Look on the inside of the lock where the 9 volt battery goes, there might be a master code for programming the lock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House