Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 09:12 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I was showing house to a couple. The lady said, "Why do all the houses in Maine have doors that open to the inside?"

I said, "So we don't have to jump out a window to get out." She didn't understand. I said Once in a while we get 3 feet of snow in one night. You get up in the morning and the snow is up to the doorknob. She said, "Really?" I showed her a picture of my back door and there was a perfect impression of the door in the snow when the door was opened - to the inside. I think they bought a house in West Virginia.
Usually, both exterior and interior doors open to the inside. I assumed it was so you could block an intruder more easily, but it might have a weather reason. My weird back door opens outward, and the wind can be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 10:40 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Okay I'll bite. What on earth is that?

OP If this is causing you so much anxiety can't you just throw the thing in a box with other stuff, and keep it until you die or move, when it won't matter?

Or, change the locks on your house now, so the key no longer fits?
ycmv — your country may vary. YouTube is not allowed in a number of countries.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:07 PM

2,667 posts, read 1,189,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Show it to a small child and tell them "don't open this because it will spoil the surprise".
Place it where they can reach it and leave the room.
LMAOff that is just too funny. I have come to the conclusion that I have a problem letting it go. Mainly out of fear that I have to conquer. It's the strangest thing because I never had a problem like this before where I just couldn't get rid of something that I sort of think I need to ditch it. It is the thickest and strongest keylock I ever saw.

It was made for the outside door of homes so obviously that is why it's impossible to break open. Now I can't find a damn dumpster to ditch it in. There is one across the way from me but the business owner put a freaking lock on that to stop us from using his dumpster.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I think that's how my card board box hoarding started. I kept thinking I was going to "move soon". But like you, after a few years, especially in the age of on line shopping, they soon began to take over my tiny apartment. I realized the big storage closet was packed full of flat boxes and they were starting to be propped up along the wall behind furniture. One day I went after them and got rid of all them. Took them out to my bin and then called my friend who picked up my trash then, begged him to come right then to take them all away or I'd be bring them back inside. He laughed his head off about that I can tell you, but he did it. I felt like I'd given away a child or something lol. But it got easier, and now I never save a box, even though it still hurts to get rid of a "good box". (and when I did finally move I didn't have any boxes to do it)

A friend gave me a brilliant idea for knowing where things are when you need them. She said get an old address book, they are alphabetized and write down where you keep things under the appropriate letter. I haven't done that yet, because I haven't got an address book to use. Probably could find one in the dollar store.

I hoarded plastic grocery bags for years, because I use them as trash and dirty cat litter bags. Then when they were banned I also bought a case of 500 from Amazon so I can continue to use them for cat litter . I double them. My sister found my stash when I moved and used them for packing up my kitchen, so I still have all the old grocery bags too. I do use them, but the way I use them now, I am likely to have them last my lifetime.
You sure do sound a lot like me in some ways. I laughed when you said when you did finally move you didn't have any boxes left to use.

That is a really good idea to write down where things are and yes the dollar store still sells them at least by me they do. I do that when moving I label each box and go to my computer and type a list of what number box has inside it. Each individual item is listed. I moved so many times I had to get a system. Thank you for that idea. Once I get everything sorted out and stop replacing what I have in multiple amounts all over the place then I can have a normal amount of items I really do use not what I might use that gets in the way of what I really do use, if that makes any sense LOL.

OMG'ness I did the same thing with plastic bags I doubled them for the clumping litter when I had two adorable cats. I still have a double vanity cabinet filled with those store bags and won't get rid of them anytime soon. I still have the cat carrier and the jumbo catit litter pan I will not part with. I know I say no more cats/pets I'm getting to old and have no one to depend on to come and care for them when I am in the hospital. I don't like those auto water filler things I know water gets rancid fast and my girl was afraid of it when it moved LOL. Then I ended up in the hospital for 4 days and nights mostly in the hallway with bright lights and the IV antibiotic. I was so worried about them. Thankfully they knew since I didn't come home that first night to conserve the dry food I left out for them. I had forgotten they do that. So now I am decluttering as much as I can. When I am ready maybe someday I can have a cat again.

Old 05-12-2023, 05:19 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
You could take it to a locksmith shop and see if they can do anything with it.

A good lock box with a house key in it can be useful.

This simpleminded crap "If you didn't use it in a year, pitch it!" is ridiculous. I didn't use my first aid kit this year so I should pitch it right? Consider if something is reasonably likely to be useful in future, how much space it's taking up, etc.

Old 05-13-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You could take it to a locksmith shop and see if they can do anything with it.

A good lock box with a house key in it can be useful.

This simpleminded crap "If you didn't use it in a year, pitch it!" is ridiculous. I didn't use my first aid kit this year so I should pitch it right? Consider if something is reasonably likely to be useful in future, how much space it's taking up, etc.
It is big and bulky and to heavy for my inside door. I live in a building and the key inside is not for the entrance to the building but only for my apt/condo door.

Good point at some point in time I could reuse it. I have a problem letting go of this thing. I hate to spend the money on a locksmith but it beats the telling the medical company I still have it and can't remember the combination. I have been told not to discard it with key inside because who knows who could find it and get it opened. This is worse than all the other crap I wouldn't let go and now finally am.

Old 05-13-2023, 02:40 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,591,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
It is big and bulky and to heavy for my inside door. I live in a building and the key inside is not for the entrance to the building but only for my apt/condo door.

Good point at some point in time I could reuse it. I have a problem letting go of this thing. I hate to spend the money on a locksmith but it beats the telling the medical company I still have it and can't remember the combination. I have been told not to discard it with key inside because who knows who could find it and get it opened. This is worse than all the other crap I wouldn't let go and now finally am.

It won't cost much. I had a locksmith come to my home and re-program my car after it was stolen (I got the car back but there is still a key out there). He charged me $50.

And then you can be free of it. Imagine the peace of mind.

Last edited by catsmom21; 05-13-2023 at 03:03 PM..

Old 05-13-2023, 06:29 PM

9,144 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
LOL. The real reason is, unless you have a continuous hing door ( go look that up) if the door opened out wards the hing pins would be on the outside and you could save money on a lock because why have one if anybody could just remove the pins and get in?

Doors in hurricane land open outward. No problem with the pins since they are designed to open out.

"The building code requires that exterior doors open outward for all residences in a high-velocity hurricane zone. An entry door which opens outwards needs a tremendous amount of force to push it past the door jambs, while an entry door that opens inward can be easily blown in because it is held only by a latch or deadbolt."

https://www.guardianhurricaneprotect...0or%20deadbolt.

" [Outward swinging doors are] more resistant to high wind and driving rain in a storm. The Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety (IBHS) recommends outswing exterior doors as more hurricane resistant because “positive pressures actually push them more tightly against the door seals, which helps reduce water intrusion, and because it is much easier to achieve impact resistance from an outward swinging door.” Most exterior doors installed in South Florida’s high-velocity hurricane wind zone are outswing for this reason. Outswing doors are typically also more water-resistant in a hurricane.
Also, they are not easily forced open from the exterior."

Most prehung entry door manufacturers now install special security hinges on their outswing doors that have non-removable pins. You must open the door and unscrew one side of each hinge to remove the door. Another type of security pin is only removable when then door is open.

https://www.howtolookatahouse.com/Bl...in-or-out.html

Old 05-15-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
It won't cost much. I had a locksmith come to my home and re-program my car after it was stolen (I got the car back but there is still a key out there). He charged me $50.

And then you can be free of it. Imagine the peace of mind.
It is done I finally went to the locksmith and he took it. I don't miss it at all. It was a last remembrance of how helpless I felt when I needed it.

Now I have a simple plastic one that is a 4 digit combination lock. This one is small, lightweight and no need to have some Company come along needing the combination number. I have no fear of anyone trying to crack it open to get in my home. I feel so much better now that I got rid of it. It was a terrible time in my life when I needed it. I think maybe it something that I feared if I dispose of it I would need it again. Now to move on to other things I hesitate to remove. This time I will get the mono earplug I will need in case my hearing aids decide crap out again. Knowing this crappy Company it's only a matter of time until the die out again.

I am now cutting and removing boxes as I get them so I can keep up with not collecting so many. I only keep what I can return but not the boxes of products I cannot return so they go fast and that list idea you gave me will be so helpful with new stuff I tuck away with intentions of using again will really help to keep me in check with over keeping things. That's a better way to say it keeping not hoarding

Old 05-22-2023, 07:45 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
It is done I finally went to the locksmith and he took it. I don't miss it at all. It was a last remembrance of how helpless I felt when I needed it.

Now I have a simple plastic one that is a 4 digit combination lock. This one is small, lightweight and no need to have some Company come along needing the combination number. I have no fear of anyone trying to crack it open to get in my home. I feel so much better now that I got rid of it. It was a terrible time in my life when I needed it. I think maybe it something that I feared if I dispose of it I would need it again. Now to move on to other things I hesitate to remove. This time I will get the mono earplug I will need in case my hearing aids decide crap out again. Knowing this crappy Company it's only a matter of time until the die out again.

I am now cutting and removing boxes as I get them so I can keep up with not collecting so many. I only keep what I can return but not the boxes of products I cannot return so they go fast and that list idea you gave me will be so helpful with new stuff I tuck away with intentions of using again will really help to keep me in check with over keeping things. That's a better way to say it keeping not hoarding

Thanks for coming back and letting us know the resolution. I don't think most of us realized the emotional concerns that you had with disposing of it. It sounds like you have worked many of those issues through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House