Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 09:42 PM

11 posts, read 6,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Paranoid? Oh yeah, you’re paranoid!!!

But, if you find yourself deliriously wanting to kill somebody- all bets are off! On a more serious note- you should seek professional psychological help. Because some very simple research on the internet would have given you the information you seek- the same from JW above.
I am actually starting therapy bc I’m obviously not coping well with the anxiety this has thought on. I’ve researched a lot and while a lot of people say it takes years and years of high exposure that’s not always what research or anecdotal stories say. Scares the sh** out of me as a parent. Lord of conflicting info about wat to do with items too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 05:38 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elggarfkcor View Post
I am actually starting therapy bc I’m obviously not coping well with the anxiety this has thought on. I’ve researched a lot and while a lot of people say it takes years and years of high exposure that’s not always what research or anecdotal stories say. Scares the sh** out of me as a parent. Lord of conflicting info about wat to do with items too.

There is nothing wrong with you and this is a perfectly normal reaction to finding you you may have exposed your baby to asbestos. Do some (real) research and you'll find out things will be okay, but by all means, do everything you can with washing and replacing, to help yourself feel better about it. In time, with the move, and new clean things, and learning about it, you'll start to feel better.

But your question and fears are not paranoid or abnormal. This question does come up now and then in this forum and the people asking it are always ridiculed by a few. I don't know why but I pity anyone coming to this House forum to ask about asbestos because there are always members who want you to feel like an idiot. I guess it makes them feel superior.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:44 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Thank you. I know I know, there are a lot of things not great we are all exposed to. This honestly just knocked the breath out of me when I learned about asbestos and connected that we had been around this situation with my babe so little. I am pretty granola and it sucks to feel like I exposed her to something awful. Lots of mom guilt and worry.
All of us baby boomers grew up with asbestos everywhere, and a lot of us still survive.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:10 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Hi,
I know for a fact the tile removed had black asbestos mastic bc I took a sample from an old one recently.
Did you have it tested, is that how you know?
How old are the house and tiles, pre-1970s?

It sounds like you were in a separate building from the remodeling, and you're mostly worried about your stored items being contaminated.

That seems like it would be pretty low exposure for you/your child, and you can clean the stored items, or have them cleaned by toxic waste professionals, or get rid of them completely. Whatever it takes to ease your fears.

We had a mineral set back in the '60s, which included a piece of asbestos and a vial of mercury. We handled both. Out of six kids, 60 years later, still no lung disease or mad hatters.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
There is nothing wrong with you and this is a perfectly normal reaction to finding you you may have exposed your baby to asbestos. Do some (real) research and you'll find out things will be okay, but by all means, do everything you can with washing and replacing, to help yourself feel better about it. In time, with the move, and new clean things, and learning about it, you'll start to feel better.

But your question and fears are not paranoid or abnormal. This question does come up now and then in this forum and the people asking it are always ridiculed by a few. I don't know why but I pity anyone coming to this House forum to ask about asbestos because there are always members who want you to feel like an idiot. I guess it makes them feel superior.

Thank you so much for this. its a scary situation for some people and I don't get some of these responses lol. a mom's instinct to worry and have mom guilt is strong and innate and really challenging. thank you!

Old 05-20-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Did you have it tested, is that how you know?
How old are the house and tiles, pre-1970s?

It sounds like you were in a separate building from the remodeling, and you're mostly worried about your stored items being contaminated.

That seems like it would be pretty low exposure for you/your child, and you can clean the stored items, or have them cleaned by toxic waste professionals, or get rid of them completely. Whatever it takes to ease your fears.

We had a mineral set back in the '60s, which included a piece of asbestos and a vial of mercury. We handled both. Out of six kids, 60 years later, still no lung disease or mad hatters.
hi,
yes I had it tested bc my mom had given me a piece to use as a coaster and when I found out about asbestos I immediately took it to a lab, and that started my worries. it had been in our apartment for a year and always had loose gravel coming off of it.
We are in a separate area but its like 10 feet from her house lol. its pretty much us going back and forth which is why I don't know if our stuff is contaminated. My mom is the one living in her house and she isn't worried one ounce and would not consider her house contaminated.

thank you for your reassurance!

Old 05-20-2023, 09:55 AM

12,840 posts, read 866,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

This is a kind and thoughtful response. I agree with you.

Old 05-20-2023, 03:53 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Thank you. I know I know, there are a lot of things not great we are all exposed to. This honestly just knocked the breath out of me when I learned about asbestos and connected that we had been around this situation with my babe so little. I am pretty granola and it sucks to feel like I exposed her to something awful. Lots of mom guilt and worry.
The people that had issues with asbestos were the people actually mining it.

Old 05-20-2023, 04:30 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
I hope your therapy is focusing on your anxiety over being a parent and dealing with the risks in life we all experience rather than only the overreaction to some maybe/maybe not asbestos exposure.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:37 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,310,772 times
Here is a link you may find reasurring.
https://www.asbestos.com/exposure/short-term
It's kind of like cigarette smoking. Going to a party where people are smoking won't hurt you, but smoking cigarettes every day is bad for you.
That web site is from the people who make their living from asbestos lawsuits, so I feel they're not going to sugar-coat the risks. However, from what I've read, while you do want to eliminate any exposure where you live, it's not a crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House