Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 12:55 PM

11 posts, read 6,089 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I’ve been stressed since I found out about asbestos a couple of months ago. Not for myself but for my child. We live in my moms guest house apartment. She remodeled her kitchen and floors while I was pregnant. She had suspect ceiling tiles and I know for a fact the tile removed had black asbestos mastic bc I took a sample from an old one recently. I didn’t know at time of remodel. I have no idea if these workers sanded the rest off the ground or what before putting down new tile. Bc of the kitchen being unusable her and her husband would use the garage attached to our apartment as a kitchen. So they would come from their house directly into garage. We have furniture and stuff out there. So what are chances we have asbestos on our stuff from that remodel? I keep imagining fibers just all over everything. The workers even borrow a ladder they put back in there.

Then and more concerning to me, when my baby was about 2 months old, for a few months my mom had her bathrooms remodeled. And doorways widened. Again, they removed wall to wall mirrors, wood paneled walls, old tubs, tiles, etc. these guys didn’t check for asbestos and just did the remodel with my mom living there. I wasn’t aware at the time so I would constantly bring my baby in there with me and hang out in the living room. Im imagining fibers all in the air circulating while we were in there. And bc I didn’t think of asbestos, I would walk back over to our guesthouse and not change clothes or anything. Honestly may have been in a robe and wore it for days at a time. Im panicked my young baby was breathing this crap in for months and that now we have fibers all over our stuff in our apartment.

I couldn’t get any reassurance from the pediatrician who seemed almost as nervous as me. My mom literally isn’t concerned at all, she’s denying any harm could even come if this to any of us. My partner isn’t worried at all either, nothing about this is making him fear our child could be negatively affected. Am I being way too paranoid? Or should I throw out things? I can’t find consensus on if washing clothes and items works? We are moving in a couple of weeks into a house and I’m planning on leaving some furniture items behind but I’m scared of taking contaminated things with us.

Any knowledgeable people that can chime in? I’ve never been so worried in my life. I feel like I messed up so badly being ignorant and now my child could be harmed in 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 04:01 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
It takes many years of exposure to high levels for any real damage to occur. You'll both be fine.

Old 05-19-2023, 04:43 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
This post seems awfully familiar.

Old 05-19-2023, 04:57 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Wash/launder what you take with you. Wipe down the furniture you move. Once you move out, move on with your life. As already mentioned, it takes years if not decades of daily exposure to high levels of asbestos to create risk of cancer. At the worst, you're talking about weeks/months.

Old 05-19-2023, 05:09 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Paranoid? Oh yeah, you’re paranoid!!!

But, if you find yourself deliriously wanting to kill somebody- all bets are off! On a more serious note- you should seek professional psychological help. Because some very simple research on the internet would have given you the information you seek- the same from JW above.

Old 05-19-2023, 05:51 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
It takes many years of exposure to high levels for any real damage to occur. You'll both be fine.
Mastic - even with asbestos is nearly impossible to make airborne - to get into the lungs.
It probably got incapacitated into new grout/tile?

You seem to have a new Mom syndrome worrying too much.

Your baby may have more risky substances in his/her everyday life.
- do they use pampers?
-plastic bottles?
-microwave?
-baby food in jars?
- food in general?
- soap, body wash, wet wipes of all kinds?
-what furniture is your child one (fireproofing)
-clothing?

Etc,etc.

Relax, enjoy the convenience of the modern world

Old 05-19-2023, 06:44 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
This post seems awfully familiar.
Deja vu all over again.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:32 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Take out a life insurance policy on you child.

Old 05-19-2023, 09:36 PM

What a ****ed up thing to say.

Old 05-19-2023, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Mastic - even with asbestos is nearly impossible to make airborne - to get into the lungs.
It probably got incapacitated into new grout/tile?

You seem to have a new Mom syndrome worrying too much.

Your baby may have more risky substances in his/her everyday life.
- do they use pampers?
-plastic bottles?
-microwave?
-baby food in jars?
- food in general?
- soap, body wash, wet wipes of all kinds?
-what furniture is your child one (fireproofing)
-clothing?

Etc,etc.

Relax, enjoy the convenience of the modern world
Thank you. I know I know, there are a lot of things not great we are all exposed to. This honestly just knocked the breath out of me when I learned about asbestos and connected that we had been around this situation with my babe so little. I am pretty granola and it sucks to feel like I exposed her to something awful. Lots of mom guilt and worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House