Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2023, 11:57 AM

979 posts, read 538,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Take out a life insurance policy on you child.
You're uckedf in the head!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 03:08 PM

11 posts, read 6,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Here is a link you may find reasurring.
https://www.asbestos.com/exposure/short-term
It's kind of like cigarette smoking. Going to a party where people are smoking won't hurt you, but smoking cigarettes every day is bad for you.
That web site is from the people who make their living from asbestos lawsuits, so I feel they're not going to sugar-coat the risks. However, from what I've read, while you do want to eliminate any exposure where you live, it's not a crisis.
thank you so much, appreciate this.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I hope your therapy is focusing on your anxiety over being a parent and dealing with the risks in life we all experience rather than only the overreaction to some maybe/maybe not asbestos exposure.
I agree, while I'm having acute anxiety from this issue it's definitely super heightened bc I am a parent and worrying about my child. I hope I can learn to cope a lot better with situations like this.

Old 05-21-2023, 04:25 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,650,286 times
As said, many of us have been exposed to asbestos during our life and are still doing fine. However, given your concern you may want to collect some asbestos wipe samples. In short, you take a specific size of clothe and wipe down a specific area and then submit it to a lab that analyses for asbestos. This will inform you on what steps to take next instead of just worrying about it.

My company does asbestos abatement and these wipe samples are standard at the end of the job to confirm that asbestos didn't get spread around.

Old 05-21-2023, 04:54 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I don't think that people should be making fun of the OP and ridiculing her for worrying too much where her child is concerned.

MUCH better to be overly worried about a baby or child then those parents whose children end up in foster care because they don't give a damn about them and put their own selfish desires ahead of their children's needs and safety.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I don't think that people should be making fun of the OP and ridiculing her for worrying too much where her child is concerned.

MUCH better to be overly worried about a baby or child then those parents whose children end up in foster care because they don't give a damn about them and put their own selfish desires ahead of their children's needs and safety.
Thank you! Really wasn’t expecting some of the critical replies, was looking for helpful input!

Old 05-21-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
As said, many of us have been exposed to asbestos during our life and are still doing fine. However, given your concern you may want to collect some asbestos wipe samples. In short, you take a specific size of clothe and wipe down a specific area and then submit it to a lab that analyses for asbestos. This will inform you on what steps to take next instead of just worrying about it.

My company does asbestos abatement and these wipe samples are standard at the end of the job to confirm that asbestos didn't get spread around.
Thanks for the suggestion. Curious, what do y’all recommend to people to do if it comes back positive? I just bought a house and all that comes with that so money it tight at the moment. I know testing is inexpensive but I know abatement is very. I will try to do whatever I need but are there things I should do like just wipe a lot down? I a really messed with garage since my realization bc it’s my partners man cave and he doesn’t get my worry. Also, what is your opinion on using regular washing machine to wash clothes/fabric items? I’ve heard contradicting things. This happened like 8-11 months ago and we are still living here using the same machine.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elggarfkcor View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Curious, what do y’all recommend to people to do if it comes back positive? I just bought a house and all that comes with that so money it tight at the moment. I know testing is inexpensive but I know abatement is very. I will try to do whatever I need but are there things I should do like just wipe a lot down? I a really messed with garage since my realization bc it’s my partners man cave and he doesn’t get my worry. Also, what is your opinion on using regular washing machine to wash clothes/fabric items? I’ve heard contradicting things. This happened like 8-11 months ago and we are still living here using the same machine.
When was your house built?

Old 05-22-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When was your house built?
1950s

Old 05-25-2023, 10:58 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
You are not at any risk from asbestos unless you grind it up in to a fine powder and breathe it in every day for years while simultaneously smoking several packs a day.

Look it up.

The asbestos remediation industry has successfully employed scare tactics to get people all upset if they even hear the word asbestos, but few facts are ever dispensed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House