Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 04:41 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
In a little coastal town I saw a business using sliced wood trunk as pavers. They look like 2" thick, 18" in diameter. Probably not as permanent as mason pavers, but I imagine it's pretty cheap maybe even free. Most importantly, they look pretty good. I will upload an actual picture later today, but I think online has plenty of such images.

I happen to need a paver that is a good compromise between durability, lightweight, and cost. I am paving a 300' trail; using mason pavers can cost a fortune plus it is heavy to handle. I think wood is a great solution. Even if they rot away in N years, I can just replenish them.

A quick scan of the Craigslist FREE section shows there are different types of wood available, all free for the taking. So far I have seen birch, pine, eucalyptus. Apparently lots of people remove trees and need to get rid of the the debris including the trunk. I just need to get a chainsaw and cut them into disks.

So my question is this: For paving purpose, with ground contact, what type(s) of wood that we can is best among those commonly available for free (those that people remove from property)? What should I avoid? For example, I heard eucalyptus is a weak wood; maybe that is least suitable?
Search soil cement or macadam paving.
Use free wood for garden structures and log benches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 04:42 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
I agree with the general consensus, though I can imagine it would look pretty, is it half logs you planned to use? Would scoring them someway help?

I hike a trail that part of it is so wet, 'they' put treated wood 'bridges" along a whole section. At first, it was fine to walk on them, and stay out of the mud. After a year or so they got slippery, so I went back to walking in the brush and mud, as did everyone else, judging by the trail along the bridges. Then they fastened hardware cloth along all the bridges. I thought that was brilliant, at first. Then I discovered in winter, the little squares just filled up with ice and snow. By the next spring the hardware cloth was no longer flat and smooth either and kept catching on the tread of my boots, tripping me up. So, back into the mud I went. As did everyone else.

Leave it natural or fill it with wood chips (which I assume will have to be refreshed periodically).

I won't suggest gravel, because I can't walk on graveled paths myself. Gravel hurts. There are a few trails I can't go on any more at all, because they've been graveled. There's one that goes around a reservoir, it was made from an old railway bed. I know the views are stupendous, but I just can't walk on gravel.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:37 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Robert, you are in Redwood country, you can't find a more durable, ground contact wood in your area. The problem will be to find suitable "paver" size pieces. The recent storms in the Pacific Coast range may have brought down some smaller Redwood trees that could be cut up in paver size...but it will have white sap wood attached, which will rot fairly rapidly.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:14 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Best wood for ground contact is either redwood or cedar.

Seriously, try some coarse gravel and put some driveway fabric underneath it so it doesn't sink into the mud

Old 05-31-2023, 09:19 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Camac St. in Philadelphia used to have wood pavers. You can still see them in the google streetview images from before 2017. You can also see where the wood block intersects with the belgian block. I used to work nearby and walked on this street in call kinds of weather. I don't ever remember it being slippery.

https://goo.gl/maps/iUnoJWxB8qrMJD1s5

The city stopped replacing the blocks ca. 2017 because it was too labor intensive - it was an alley that was a favorite as a pedestrian shortcut but it also had a fair amount of cars driving on it. The blocks got beat up and needed to be replaced frequently. Shouldn't be too much of a problem if it's ped only.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:12 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Best wood for ground contact is either redwood or cedar.

Seriously, try some coarse gravel and put some driveway fabric underneath it so it doesn't sink into the mud
I feel I need solid pieces of pavers, of whatever material, because one main goal is to suppress vegetation. I fear that even with gravel they can still come out from the cracks, maybe even in one season? This is my experience with the areas I have put in weed guard. Thistle and other weed still come out; just at a slower rate and more sporadic. Thistle seems can live right above the weed guard. With wood, even if it rots away, I am thinking they should at least last a few years if thick enough.

This is what I saw:

What kind of wood is good to use as pavers?-wood-paver.jpg

Old 05-31-2023, 12:41 PM

2,036 posts, read 990,377 times
What kind of wood did you use for your tall cliff ladder?

Old 05-31-2023, 12:44 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
You know, you might find those pieces of wood for pavers even more exciting when they start to rot and yellowjackets start nesting in them.

Get popped a few times on the calf by some yellowjackets and you might rethink this idea.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:49 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I feel I need solid pieces of pavers, of whatever material, because one main goal is to suppress vegetation. I fear that even with gravel they can still come out from the cracks, maybe even in one season? This is my experience with the areas I have put in weed guard. Thistle and other weed still come out; just at a slower rate and more sporadic. Thistle seems can live right above the weed guard. With wood, even if it rots away, I am thinking they should at least last a few years if thick enough.

This is what I saw:

Attachment 243577
What if you put down pieces of cardboard for the weed supression, and then the wood, gravel, or chips?

Old 05-31-2023, 01:51 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Robert, you are in Redwood country, you can't find a more durable, ground contact wood in your area. The problem will be to find suitable "paver" size pieces. The recent storms in the Pacific Coast range may have brought down some smaller Redwood trees that could be cut up in paver size...but it will have white sap wood attached, which will rot fairly rapidly.
That is a great idea. I might even have some on my land. Probably need to review rules about drift wood; in my area we can take a certain limited quantity per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House