Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 02:01 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times

Advertisements

I'm with those who say wood chips. It's pretty much the standard around the country for semi-maintained pathways as in parks. Yes, it has to be replenished every couple of years but is a lot easier to handle and will work better than trying to level slabs of tree into the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 06:41 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
Wood pavers should not be used anywhere that it rains.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:09 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I feel I need solid pieces of pavers, of whatever material, because one main goal is to suppress vegetation.
Roundup®️ is your friend.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:40 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Roundup®️ is your friend.
In Cali!!??? Oh, “Shirley” you jest!?

Old 06-01-2023, 08:54 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,324,518 times
JMO but I would save myself some work and just use wood chips for the path. Even if you manage to get your pavers set flat it wont be long before they start to shift and disintegrate. And if there any shade they will get slick and green slime. Not to mention weeds will grow between and over them.

What I would do is lay down a 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick layer of cardboard. The thicker the better. Then cover this with a thick layer of wood chips. Use those logs for the edges to contain the wood chips so they dont shift around. You could use weed block but personally I prefer cardboard. IMO weed block is a PITA. In a couple years it will be easy to repeat the process. The cardboard and woodchips will just meld into the soil.

Also not sure about your area but around here wood chips can be acquired by asking local tree trimmers to drop off their loads to you instead of transporting them.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:12 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,363 times
This is the vegetation I am dealing with. It's a mixed of grass and other plants. Some are woody bushes with stem about 1" thick. I will take the effort to trim them down, but I hope to be able to stop them from growing at least within the trail's 3' width. Most aggressive are the grass and the blackberry vines.
What kind of wood is good to use as pavers?-snapshot_2023-05-31-17h02m04s044b.jpg

Separately, a few questions on specific plants.

This is cow parsnip. I read that they have toxins. Are they OK to touch? Or are they like poison oak which you cannot touch? I need to clear a few of these plants.
What kind of wood is good to use as pavers?-snapshot_2023-05-29-cow-parsnip.jpg

This supposedly is blackberry vine. They are a real nuisance as they are tripping hazard. If they bear fruits for me maybe I can live with them. But I don't seem to ever see any berry on them. Any idea?
What kind of wood is good to use as pavers?-snapshot_2023-05-31-blackberry-vine.jpg

This is a new vine that popped up this season. They are all over the place. It has big leaves and little white flowers. Any idea what this is?
What kind of wood is good to use as pavers?-snapshot_2023-05-31-new-vine.jpg

Old 06-01-2023, 12:06 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
What kind of wood did you use for your tall cliff ladder?
I ended up only using regular 2x4 (douglas fir I suppose), because my plan was to remove it when not in use for extended period of time.

As it turned out though I hardly ever put the ladder out, because if just for myself using a rope is much easier.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:58 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Cow parsnip sap contains an irritating organic chemical furanocoumarin. It tends to be activated by UV radiation (sunlight) and causes extreme skin photosensitivity. It can cause a rash, even blisters, burns, and scarring. Like many of its relatives, cow parsnip is toxic to ingest. Wash exposed skin, clothing and gloves after handling or working in cow parsnip, especially if you know you might need to be in full sun. Cow parsnip is ubiquitous all over AK. I have handled or brushed against head high thickets of cow parsnip on rainy days without any subsequent reaction.

As for IDing those other plants, try taking the photos to a garden center, ag extension office, or posting the pics in the Garden subforum. There are some very knowledgeable plant sleuths there! The last one might be an invasive cucurbit/gourd.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-01-2023 at 03:06 PM..

Old 06-01-2023, 05:09 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
I'm not sure that looks like Blackberry. If you do have Blackberry it is extremely flammable and provides huge amounts of fuel for wildfires. If you were in wildfire country (which is the entire West) I would take it off my property.

Old 06-02-2023, 05:09 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
JMO but I would save myself some work and just use wood chips for the path. Even if you manage to get your pavers set flat it wont be long before they start to shift and disintegrate. And if there any shade they will get slick and green slime. Not to mention weeds will grow between and over them.

What I would do is lay down a 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick layer of cardboard. The thicker the better. Then cover this with a thick layer of wood chips. Use those logs for the edges to contain the wood chips so they dont shift around. You could use weed block but personally I prefer cardboard. IMO weed block is a PITA. In a couple years it will be easy to repeat the process. The cardboard and woodchips will just meld into the soil.

Also not sure about your area but around here wood chips can be acquired by asking local tree trimmers to drop off their loads to you instead of transporting them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House