Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 11:41 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,196,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Scanning Craigslist FREE section I see the first free wood chip post within the distance I am willing to drive. But it is from an Eucalyptus tree - the type I heard is weaker as a wood. So my same question for mulch/chips: Are certain types of tree's chips better/more durable than other types? Is it better to wait for a pine tree or even oak tree? (I have seen chopped oak logs for free)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/zip...628614101.html
How much land do you have to manage?

Honestly - after seeing your photos I think the only way you could tame your trail is have a swath of 6 feet mowed regularly - on the lowest setting - 6 feet - so you end up walking/using 3 feet of space where the plants don’t touch you by accident.

By staying away from being accidentally touched by the plants - you would avoid most of the ticks and the phytophotodermatitis described in the post above #28 by Parnassia - it is a nasty thing to have

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwis...159464001.html

If you put wood chips now - you won’t suppress the brambles and vines - you create a better environment for them - soil moisture and you won’t be able to mow over the brambles and chips.

Get the trail bushwhacked -so you would create a trail/path. Everything which will grow after bushwhacking will be tender - you then could mow.

Of course if it is an urban garden - then I would bushwhack the whole thing - then using mow to suppress vegetation.

Eventually you will see the light of day - and will be able to make a more permanent paths or just put the wood chips later - which needs to be replenished annually - another chore.

Mowing your path regularly during a growing season is better and easier - you would suppress the brambles by drying out your soil, you could even seed the tenacious grass - depending on your climate, sun, moisture - that would give you a better easier to maintain path.

60% of growth would occur in spring/early summer- so you may need to mow every 3-4 -5 days; second half of the summer it will be dry
enough to mow each 10-14 day or even less -depending how much sun and precipitation you have.

Maybe 1-2 times in fall, last - after thanksgiving.
You will have a neat path all winter long.
Next year - it will be so much easier to manage your trail- and no mud if you don’t have heavy machinery, especially on wet soil.

If you truly need to maintain 300 feet - then doing what I suggest is the easiest, don’t mess with anything else especially chips at the beginning - maybe later after the brambles are gone.
You might have enough fallen leaves on your land - to chop them with the mulcher - so they don’t get blown by the wind.
Chopped leaves would stay in place - you could mulch your path with them instead of bringing chips and trampling your land with machinery

Last photo is soil cement (I mentioned it upthread) trail topped with pea gravel - tamped into moist soil with the cement keeps it together.
You could attempt that later - after you tamed your brambles- otherwise you need to move earth, remove roots and organic matter, etc - too much work and not environmentally friendly - unless you have time, machinery and a place to put excavated soil
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of wood is good to use as pavers?-img_4618.jpeg   What kind of wood is good to use as pavers?-img_4619.jpeg   What kind of wood is good to use as pavers?-img_4620.jpeg  

Last edited by L00k4ward; 06-04-2023 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2023, 01:16 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Eucalyptus leaves and roots are known for their allelopathic effects that discourage or even prevent growth of other plants. Maybe wood used to for chips/mulch has a lower concentration of the VOCs that produce the effect. I've been in many areas in the US and overseas where Eucalyptus was intentionally planted as windbreaks or quick tree cover to retard erosion. Almost nothing will grow under it. Unfortunately, those same VOCs make it very flammable so be careful what you do around it, especially if wildfire is a local concern.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-04-2023 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-04-2023, 07:00 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
I can suggest that euc. chips do not work to inhibit unwanted growth. My sister uses nothing but euc. chips and has plenty of unwanted growth coming thru the deep euc. mulch.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:57 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,719 times
I have some new info/pics about the questions raised in this thread:

1. After clearing some vegetation I was able to find some berry on the thorny vines. Here is a picture of it. Anyone can tell what type of berry this is? Is it eatable? Not that I really want to eat it; just curious about it.
What kind of wood is good to use as pavers?-1-berry.jpg

2. I also found another fruit. It is 2.5 inches in diameter. Any idea what it is?
What kind of wood is good to use as pavers?-1-mystery-fruit.jpg

3. I cut down a lot of this grass. After a couple of weeks they are dried and now I have a big pile. I'm thinking how to get rid of it. It's too much to let sit and rot. Is this grass any good for horses or cows to eat? What type of grass is this?
What kind of wood is good to use as pavers?-dsc08102-grass.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of wood is good to use as pavers?-floor.jpg  

Last edited by RobertFisher; 06-13-2023 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-13-2023, 01:03 PM

Meant to ask a separate question about wood floor which I asked in another thread; but maybe I'll just toss it here.

I am deciding how to upgrade my old wood floor which is 750 sqft. It is currently in very dirty condition beyond washing. Three options are

1) Sand it down and varnish
2) Put new hardwood floor (on top of old or remove the old)
3) Put new laminate floor on top of the old

I took a belt sander and sanded an 1-sqft area as a test. I was able to send it down to what shows in the picture in just about 30 seconds, surprisingly quick, and the wood looks good. So I think sanding the whole place myself then applying varnish is an option (can't afford to hire pros). But I also noted that the floor has other blemishes -- some boards sink in as much as 1/8", some have gaps. I want 2nd opinions about whether this floor is worth the effort to sand and varnish?
Attachment 243842

Old 06-13-2023, 01:07 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
First looks like a wild raspberry or blackberry if it continues to darken. Wait awhile and see. Very likely edible and good. Not sure what the prickly thing is.

Do NOT feed any cut fermented grass to animals. It would kill a horse. Just have a pile. Or spread it. It will disappear in time. If you have property where there is brush to cut, get used to the idea of having a waste/compost pile.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
First looks like a wild raspberry or blackberry if it continues to darken. Wait awhile and see. Very likely edible and good. Not sure what the prickly thing is.

Do NOT feed any cut fermented grass to animals. It would kill a horse. Just have a pile. Or spread it. It will disappear in time. If you have property where there is brush to cut, get used to the idea of having a waste/compost pile.
Agree, the berry looks like some sort of Rubus species, not sure if its native or introduced. Majority are edible, but small critters are likely to snap them up before you think they're ripe enough.

Prickly thing looks like a vining cucurbit (squash/cucumber/gourd). Probably isn't edible but I don't know that species. There are both invasive and native cucurbits in CA.

https://www.inaturalist.org/check_li...California--US

I agree. Don't plan on feeding that grass to livestock. Improperly cut and handled it does ferment and/or mold. If you wanted to feed something, maybe should have planned to borrow some goats! They could have done a lot of the clearing for you.

Old 06-18-2023, 10:29 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,196,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I have some new info/pics about the questions raised in this thread:

1. After clearing some vegetation I was able to find some berry on the thorny vines. Here is a picture of it. Anyone can tell what type of berry this is? Is it eatable? Not that I really want to eat it; just curious about it.
Attachment 243839

2. I also found another fruit. It is 2.5 inches in diameter. Any idea what it is?
Attachment 243840

3. I cut down a lot of this grass. After a couple of weeks they are dried and now I have a big pile. I'm thinking how to get rid of it. It's too much to let sit and rot. Is this grass any good for horses or cows to eat? What type of grass is this?
Attachment 243841
1. Invasive Japanese wineberry - edible, but not very palatable - usually sour
https://extension.umd.edu/resource/wineberry

2.Wild cucumber vine - native, but..

https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/arti...cystis-lobata/

https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/WEEDS/wild_cucumber.html

3. annual blue grass?
POA annua

https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/a...grass-control/
https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/poa-annua/

Tolerates shade, but stands out if found in a lawn - so considers the weed of the lawn and pastures

Don’t think the grass is toxic to the horses, but may be low quality nutrients and takes room in pasture instead of valuable plants?
They say better annual grass than no grass at all

https://thegma.org.uk/learning/resou...2LIsaVDLpLc%3D

Plants toxic to horses
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anima...rse-plant-list

Use it as mulch where you want to make a path? To force new tender growth- which you could keep cutting? It could make a nice grass path, but muddy path in spring/winter - as it would die out.
In spring those multiple seed heads sprout and make it more grassy path for you temporarily? It could help you fight off some other invasive until you decide on something more permanent?

4. Wood planks

Last edited by L00k4ward; 06-18-2023 at 10:52 AM..

Old 06-18-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Don’t think the grass is toxic to the horses, but may be low quality nutrients and takes room in pasture instead of valuable plants?
They say better annual grass than no grass at all
I don't think anyone was suggesting this particular grass itself would be toxic to horses, just that moldy or fermented grass would be. The species of grass it happens to be may not matter.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:36 AM

I want to share what I ended up doing, in case anyone else is interested in this idea.

I tried to get free wood to cut, but hauling them and cutting them into disc is a pretty big task too. Then it occurred to me -- why not use pallets? They are ready-made to uniform shape that is perfect fit for a trail; they are light to handle, and there is an endless supply of free pallets since people are always getting rid of them. They become an ideal walkway; the ridges are very anti-slip; they are especially good for sloped sections. Best of all - if my county says I cannot "build", it's very easy to remove.

So here is the initial result. I simply cut these long pallets in half and lay them down as a tryout. I am pleasantly surprised by the result. I will put card boards underneath to smother the plants. I may nail more planks on top to reduce the openings, or pour wood chips all over, but that would be just for aesthetics; I am perfectly happy as they are:

Attachment 244058
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House