Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 12:37 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
JMO but I would save myself some work and just use wood chips for the path. Even if you manage to get your pavers set flat it wont be long before they start to shift and disintegrate. And if there any shade they will get slick and green slime. Not to mention weeds will grow between and over them.

What I would do is lay down a 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick layer of cardboard. The thicker the better. Then cover this with a thick layer of wood chips. Use those logs for the edges to contain the wood chips so they dont shift around. You could use weed block but personally I prefer cardboard. IMO weed block is a PITA. In a couple years it will be easy to repeat the process. The cardboard and woodchips will just meld into the soil.

Also not sure about your area but around here wood chips can be acquired by asking local tree trimmers to drop off their loads to you instead of transporting them.
I think I am going to give this approach a try first, mainly because card boards and wood chips are light weight, and I have endless supply of free cardboards right now, so this approach should be cost-free for me if I can later secure free wood chips.

Plan is to trim a path 3' wide, let the cuttings fall to the middle to fill the indentation from previous trail, hopefully making the trail width a bit more even, then put down cardboard and hold it down with some bricks until I can secure some wood chips.

Will also test this soil cement thing on the side by doing a small patch. This does look more attractive than pouring concrete or laying bricks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 12:41 PM

14,461 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I think I am going to give this approach a try first, mainly because card boards and wood chips are light weight, and I have endless supply of free cardboards right now, so this approach should be cost-free for me if I can later secure free wood chips.

Plan is to trim a path 3' wide, let the cuttings fall to the middle to fill the indentation from previous trail, hopefully making the trail width a bit more even, then put down cardboard and hold it down with some bricks until I can secure some wood chips.

Will also test this soil cement thing on the side by doing a small patch. This does look more attractive than pouring concrete or laying bricks.

I think in that setting you will really regret the cardboard.

Cardboard may work in a flower bed that gets no traffic with mulch over it, to deter weeds.

If you want a walking surface, I think it will move around and not lay flat and either be slippery, or visible and crummy looking. Especially if there's any slope or unevenness.

Just use the wood chips.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:59 PM

2,024 posts, read 981,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post

Don't let the cuttings just lie there, no? Won't that potentially include seeds to end up spreading?

Old 06-02-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Don't let the cuttings just lie there, no? Won't that potentially include seeds to end up spreading?
The card board/paver are supposed to kill any growth directly underneath them, no? If they grow to the sides I don't care.

Old 06-02-2023, 02:01 PM

Quite a pretty flower to have in garden if not for the toxicity.

What kind of wood is good to use as pavers?-dsc07057.jpg

Old 06-02-2023, 03:03 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Some cuttings may sprout/form roots if they're lying in contact with soil too. Even if they don't, if they decay fast enough they'll just fertilize the soil...which will promote more unwanted weedy growth right where you don't want it.

Old 06-02-2023, 03:22 PM

2,024 posts, read 981,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Some cuttings may sprout/form roots if they're lying in contact with soil too. Even if they don't, if they decay fast enough they'll just fertilize the soil...which will promote more unwanted weedy growth right where you don't want it.
How are the so called wood pavers supposed to lie flat over that?

Old 06-02-2023, 08:49 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Best "wood" for pavers?

Ans: Petrified

Old 06-03-2023, 07:40 PM

Scanning Craigslist FREE section I see the first free wood chip post within the distance I am willing to drive. But it is from an Eucalyptus tree - the type I heard is weaker as a wood. So my same question for mulch/chips: Are certain types of tree's chips better/more durable than other types? Is it better to wait for a pine tree or even oak tree? (I have seen chopped oak logs for free)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/zip...628614101.html

Old 06-04-2023, 05:56 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
quick search reveals...

Quote:
A long-lasting organic mulch that decomposes slower than other varieties, Euca mulch is a sustainable product commonly used for a variety of garden and landscaping applications to improve soil condition, increase water retention and regulate soil temperature. Despite its slow decomposition, it is suitable for all plants as it does break down easily into the soil and releases vital nutrients promoting maximum plant growth and drainage.

https://www.bitterngardensupplies.co...t-your-garden/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House