Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 09:43 PM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I don't get why people don't put in nice aggregate concrete. It lasts 50 years with virtually no maintenance.
If you have a really elevated deck like I did back in WV that won't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 09:44 PM

7,522 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
If you have a really elevated deck like I did back in WV that won't work.
I get why a second story deck has to be wood or timber tech (obviously). But, most people are dealing with ground level.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:53 PM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Well I don't what the OP is dealing with, but in WV, PA, MT- hilly states a ton of decks are well elevated over walk out or daylight basements.

Old 08-24-2023, 11:11 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
I don't get why people don't put in nice aggregate concrete. It lasts 50 years with virtually no maintenance.
Because I don't want it. I have a very nice large paver patio off the deck already, that slopes with the grade and drains nicely.
And my house is on a crawlspace - I want a straight walkout to a deck.

Old 08-25-2023, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Because I don't want it. I have a very nice large paver patio off the deck already, that slopes with the grade and drains nicely.
And my house is on a crawlspace - I want a straight walkout to a deck.
I would only do timber tech if I had to have a deck. They last a reasonable amount of time.

I had really big stairs poured (as wide as my sliding glass door) and two steps down. So, I can stand on the first step like a platform before stepping down (I have big planters on one side of the stairs -- they are roomy). However, I have toyed with the idea of decking. We just get too much weather here and the concrete survives that better than other materials.

Old 08-25-2023, 06:27 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I knew it would be pricey but holy crap. Anyone had their old deck rebuilt recently? I was expecting somewhere in the vicinity of 10 to 12k, but the estimates are closer to 15k to nearly 30k (this is for about 465sf of deck and two sets of steps). The lower end is for wood, and the composite prices are just way way up there.

I really had talked myself into composite before I started getting estimates. I just hate the thought of continuing to deal with the maintenance on a wood deck...and never mind that the wood today has about half the life span (resisting rot and holding up as well) of the wood that mine was built with (arsenic was banned in 2004 - my deck was built before that). I'll never get the 20-25 years out of a PT deck today that I have gotten out of mine. And it takes a beating - full sun all day long.

Argggh. Still not sure what I am going to do, I still have more estimates to get but man...I was not counting on such a huge expense.
We are having ours 'rebuilt.' Scheduled for 1st week in October. We'll do the demo, carpenter will replace deck and 'lean to' (overhang, whatever we are calling this) in the same footprint. One guy will set metal posts deep into the ground to start the process for the deck. Carpenter is a different guy.

Our deck is 24x16 now. I've asked him to extend it to 24x20 so I have a slice of deck out in the sun, and not under the overhang. He will use pressure treated wood and we are not having anything fancy done. Roof of overhang will be shingle instead of the metal we have now and will match the house roof which we are having redone at the same time. EDIT to add: Of course, new posts will be sunk.... 6x6 I believe.

$15,500 for the deck and overhang. I forgot about asking for steps, which I now realize I want, so this doesn't include that. (The deck will be raised in line with the garage door that opens onto the deck, but I am going to need steps down into the grass.)

We're pulling the trigger because we don't think it will get much cheaper and we have the $$ now. If we stay, we have a new roof and deck. If we leave, it adds value to the house. I wanted composite too but that was WAY more expensive. The current deck is pressure treated wood and is still in very good shape because it's under the overhang.

Last edited by Riley.; 08-25-2023 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 08-25-2023, 08:07 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
We are having ours 'rebuilt.' Scheduled for 1st week in October. We'll do the demo, carpenter will replace deck and 'lean to' (overhang, whatever we are calling this) in the same footprint. One guy will set metal posts deep into the ground to start the process for the deck. Carpenter is a different guy.

Our deck is 24x16 now. I've asked him to extend it to 24x20 so I have a slice of deck out in the sun, and not under the overhang. He will use pressure treated wood and we are not having anything fancy done. Roof of overhang will be shingle instead of the metal we have now and will match the house roof which we are having redone at the same time. EDIT to add: Of course, new posts will be sunk.... 6x6 I believe.

$15,500 for the deck and overhang. I forgot about asking for steps, which I now realize I want, so this doesn't include that. (The deck will be raised in line with the garage door that opens onto the deck, but I am going to need steps down into the grass.)

We're pulling the trigger because we don't think it will get much cheaper and we have the $$ now. If we stay, we have a new roof and deck. If we leave, it adds value to the house. I wanted composite too but that was WAY more expensive. The current deck is pressure treated wood and is still in very good shape because it's under the overhang.
That's about the size of mine. I just can't do pressure treated again. I am over the maintenance, and the wood just doesn't last as long as the pre-arsenic-ban stuff, and there is ZERO shade on my deck. Full sun all day. I think I might have to add a pergola later. Yea the prices have just gone nuts.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:17 AM

24,526 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Have you looked at OP's picture?
Have you walked on aggregate concrete?

Old 08-25-2023, 08:22 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
back in 2005 we had a U shaped deck that went around 3 sides of the house. Best quote was $3500 complete. (we did the demo). Had another quote, "well it will be $3500 just for material!" -- I just smiled and said thank you. Went with the cheapest guy. He did a great job, worked solo, I noticed the pieces of lumber were different brands so I think he picked up what he could, when he could, at discount prices.

It was a real experience getting quotes.

Old 08-25-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Have you looked at OP's picture?
Have you walked on aggregate concrete?
There is no OP picture.

Yes, sandals or slippers on concrete. It never has to be replaced for 50+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House