Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 03:12 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I didn't care for the bottom scallop, or the colors that I was shown. But there is a better line that I may wind up going with.
Yes; the better “garbage” is “Transcends”- at about 32% higher cost… good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 05:01 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
Quote:
This would be a COMPOSITE deck. Not wood. I would not even consider a wood deck today. The wood is crap.
..... depends installation methods and what species of wood is used. I am using Cypress deck boards,

a neighbor just used Black Locust for his deck boards....with a lifespan of 50 years, I suspect his will outlast 25-30 year composite deck boards.

Last edited by gemstone1; 08-30-2023 at 05:10 PM..

Old 08-31-2023, 07:32 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
..... depends installation methods and what species of wood is used. I am using Cypress deck boards,

a neighbor just used Black Locust for his deck boards....with a lifespan of 50 years, I suspect his will outlast 25-30 year composite deck boards.
I’m pretty sure that I mentioned pressure treated wood in my original post. Using cypress or cedar, or some other pricier wood is not an option here. It’s far too difficult to get, and the cost is prohibitive.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Mine was over 30 years. Most of the deck joist wood was in great shape.
It IS possible to set new posts into (many) old frames. It's worth investigating that.
Mine did too. The left corner at wall needed 4 big Simpson fasteners to get the band board level
and secure and the corners used up another $30 of Simpson T40's to suck everything back up to square.
Added some blocking and replaced the cross rail underneath too (not shown in first pic).
But all real basic tasks when taken on one at a time. ... Ya know?
Actually we went under the house and the joists are all perfectly straight (one of the first estimators had told me that they were sagging - he didn't even go under there so that was just a bunch of B.S.). There should be no need to replace those. There may be a few posts that have to be replaced though. I have finally started to get estimates from those that will work with the existing framing, if it is solid. It's still high (way over the annual value increase % of my home) but it's closer to something I can wrap my head around.

Old 08-31-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Yes; the better “garbage” is “Transcends”- at about 32% higher cost… good luck!
It's not "garbage". It outlasts a PT deck today. You may not care for it, but it's the better product for a deck today.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:33 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
It's not "garbage". It outlasts a PT deck today. You may not care for it, but it's the better product for a deck today.

You didn’t understand my description- but you clearly got the sarcasm!
It literally is garbage- recycled plastic, wood fibers/flower (which would otherwise be burned, or buried in a landfill.

Composites are bottom line decking materials- I’ve seen enough over the last 25+yrs. to know! The biggest issues with composites is the framing that supports is wrong. And probably even a bigger issue is LACK OF MAINTENANCE! Contrary to popular believe, composite decking does require maintenance. And if you want it to last as long as PT and look as good as the day it went down- there is maintenance.

Every client that I have dealt with when speaking about decking, I have strongly urged them to consider PVC over composite. It’s just flat-out better than composite.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You didn’t understand my description- but you clearly got the sarcasm!
It literally is garbage- recycled plastic, wood fibers/flower (which would otherwise be burned, or buried in a landfill.

Composites are bottom line decking materials- I’ve seen enough over the last 25+yrs. to know! The biggest issues with composites is the framing that supports is wrong. And probably even a bigger issue is LACK OF MAINTENANCE! Contrary to popular believe, composite decking does require maintenance. And if you want it to last as long as PT and look as good as the day it went down- there is maintenance.

Every client that I have dealt with when speaking about decking, I have strongly urged them to consider PVC over composite. It’s just flat-out better than composite.
We have 20-year old composite decks in my 'hood that look nearly as good as the day they were built. Of course there is *some* maintenance, but not NEAR the maintenance as there is with PT wood, and the PT wood today is nothing like it was 20 years ago either. PVC is better, I agree, but the cost is prohibitive for me, and many others too. I have done enough research to feel good about my choices.

SO NOW that my BF has looked though all my estimates that I have so far, he seems to think that he can build this himself. To give him some credit, he has built many wood decks, and several years ago he did build a composite deck (before the modern hidden fastening systems came along). He wants us to make up a materials list and price it out at the materials place (where he has a contractors account). I'm not doubting that he is capable, but he is a cut-corners/it-will-do kind of guy and I am a I-want-it-done-right kind of girl. I've had more than one of his projects go sideways because he hates details and just wants to get it done as fast as possible. So, while I might not agree for him to build it, I do think it will be interesting to see the pricing for myself.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 08-31-2023 at 02:06 PM..

Old 09-06-2023, 02:31 PM

335 posts, read 154,985 times
We bought a vacation trailer a couple years ago that has a massive 43' deck on the front of it. We noticed a couple of the boards had split and were rotting, but the majority of the deck was still in good shape (it is 18 years old at this point). I asked a friend to help me rip out the old rotten boards and replace it with new ones. Turns out the joists were fine and we were able to replace all the rotten sections for around $325 CDN. Hopefully we can stay ahead of the inevitable rot and replace any boards we need to as they require it.

Old 10-15-2023, 10:07 PM

**Update** I've contracted for the new deck. It will be Trex/Wolf composite, and all the wood supports underneath will be new as well. Work will start in January - I can't wait!

Old 10-17-2023, 11:03 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,326,664 times
I redid my tri-level deck in 2020 with Fiberon PVC. Since I was doing the railings in the same material and the edges would be visible, I didn't want the wavy bottom of the Trex. Was $6500 for the decking and railing, which I bought from a relatively local wholesaler (and they delivered it for $200). I was lucky in that I could replace the old PT myself.

https://www.buildingmaterialspa.com/...2/pvc-decking/

Attached Thumbnails
Estimates on replacing deck - WOW!-decknewdelivery.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House