Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 05:28 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,262,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
I have a relative who has a long gravel driveway in tennessee. She is wanting to plant some trees to line it on both sides and was looking for suggestions. I told her Crepe Myrtils or Magnolias would be pretty.
Anybody have other suggestions?

I love crape myrtles, and had them on a driveway in Texas. Pay attention when people say they'll make a mess of the driveway (and cars that might end up parked on it). Small price to me, but it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 06:27 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,057,194 times
Arizona Cypress....looks great and is hardy to zone 7a.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:46 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
I loved my Crape Myrtles, but we have a pool and the blossoms fall all summer long. They stain the paint on vehicles if it's real hot outside. There are things to consider before pulling the trigger on them.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:51 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Some evergreen that does not make a mess every fall.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:48 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
Thanks for the replies. She is in zone 7a. She has done some research by going to the local nurseries, looking at neighboring people's trees, and the usual google searches that people do . We were just having a conversation on what kind of trees we thought would look nice. I told her that I would post for her to see if anyone had any ideas for trees they think are pretty or would look nice lining a driveway. The peach tree idea is a pretty good one..I will tell her to consider fruit trees. I also suggested to her that maybe lavender bushes, but I don't know....I am just tossing ideas at her.

Fruit would be a definite no for me. They are way too much work to keep neat and uniform. Deciduous trees will loose their leaves from fall-to-spring (barren trees don’t present well). So, if a colorful/full body presentation is wanted then conifers are probably the best option. There are plenty… again, check with the local extension service for recommendations (another good source for info is a Master Gardener- there is usually a local club that has at least one or more).

Old 08-28-2023, 10:56 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's a newer cultivar of Bradfords that doesn't have the splitting/breaking issue.
You go first, lol.

Old 08-28-2023, 11:04 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Fruit would be a definite no for me. They are way too much work to keep neat and uniform. Deciduous trees will loose their leaves from fall-to-spring (barren trees don’t present well). So, if a colorful/full body presentation is wanted then conifers are probably the best option. There are plenty… again, check with the local extension service for recommendations (another good source for info is a Master Gardener- there is usually a local club that has at least one or more).
Have you ever lived in snow country? Trees can act like snow fences. As wind blows, large drifts happen a few feet away from the fence or plantings. Deer will keep peach trees trimmed all on their own. Not only do they like the fruit, the leaves are a favorite browse as well. I watch them go after mine.

IIRC, most pears are grafted. If that rootstock manages to grow, it can be nasty. I don't care what type of Bradford pear is planted, old timers are likely to shoot or shun anyone who plants them. And don't even THINK about privet.

Old 08-28-2023, 11:09 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Look how beautiful the trunks are on a crape Myrtle. I took this picture of a very old one.
Attached Thumbnails
Tree lined driveways-aa3f3b6b-a3e7-49f0-a5d1-e99c9bc5188b.jpeg  

Old 08-28-2023, 02:02 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Look how beautiful the trunks are on a crape Myrtle. I took this picture of a very old one.
First time I’ve ever seen Spanish moss in a crape! But, I get it for your locale.

Not that there’s anything wrong with a crape, but there is maintenance for a multi-stalk version. Single trunk versions would probably look better for the OP’s scenario. But, they also make quite a mess as the season goes on.

Old 08-28-2023, 02:34 PM

840 posts, read 772,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's a newer cultivar of Bradfords that doesn't have the splitting/breaking issue.

They may not split & break . . . BUT . . . Do they still smell of HORRID, RANCID, PEANUT-BUTTER . . . ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House