Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 11:44 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Red Oak or Sugar Maple, actual shade unlike ornamental trees.
The problem with deciduous "shade" trees is they will eventually kill off any turf. No turf leads to invasive weed and/or other unwanted growth; AND erosion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 01:15 PM

350 posts, read 195,851 times
Deciduous or evergreen?

Who's going to rake the leaves? And pick up the gross fruit.

I would NEVER EVER put fruit trees up on driveways dropping old dirty fruits all over the place OMG. Or even flowering trees for that matter.

AND the pests and diseases.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:50 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,850,706 times
Something that doesn't create a lot of work or get too large. Don't plant too close to the driveway.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:25 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
My dad had his drive lined with camellia hedges, very pretty in bloom and he didn't complain about any problems with it. I've seen them growing in western TN
I've also seen tea olive used extensively as roadside hedges in Memphis, flowers are non descript but the smell of them in bloom is heavenly. https://www.southernliving.com/garde...live-tree-care
Both are evergreen.

Old 08-29-2023, 06:19 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The problem with deciduous "shade" trees is they will eventually kill off any turf. No turf leads to invasive weed and/or other unwanted growth; AND erosion!
I have hundreds of trees on either side of my driveway, and no grass at all. I just pull up weeds and invasives when I see them, very easy to maintain.

Old 08-29-2023, 06:26 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I have crepe myrtles and I would not plant them along the house driveway.
Summer they are pretty but messy dropping dead flowers (they have multi-thousand flowers)
but mainly I wouldn't because in winter they are stick figures.
Luckily the first owner planted our several crepe myrtles on the side and rear so they are not a prominent feature.

What would I plant? Probably native holly trees which are pretty all year long and loved by birds, bees and humans.
Your native co-operative extension online can tell you which cultivars do well in your area and maybe they can (by calling) tell you if there is a native plant nursery you can get them from.
All deciduous trees are stick figures in the winter.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:20 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Evergreen?
Cryptomeria.
Lovely. Fast growing once established. Ancient plants.
Some varieties are mammoth. Some are smaller. Choose wisely and space them a bit, allowing for them to grow to maturity without overlapping.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptomeria

Wax myrtle are also nice.
Prune them and they will grow so tightly, you won't see the birds, etc, that live in them.
And, they are hardy.

Deciduous?
Crape myrtle.
Pick a variety that isn't dwarf, and isn't too huge. There are many choices.

Might do mostly crape myrtle, with a few cryptomeria for accent.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:55 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
I haven’t read all the replies so maybe its already been mentioned but maple trees would be pretty.

Old 08-31-2023, 08:21 PM

680 posts, read 717,271 times
Thank you for all the great ideas and advice. I will send my sister this post link so she can read them all herself. I do not know what she'll plant. Her home is currently getting built right now on that property. She is planning out her landscaping, the driveway, and all the outbuildings. Her husband tells her to focus on the house first, but she is excited about finally having some acreage..lol.

Old 08-31-2023, 08:58 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,399,233 times
We had crape myrtle trees on our driveway when I was a kid. It was a long gravel driveway for years, then we paved it. The crape myrtles look good on both and last for decades.

Now, i have planted crape myrtles every time we buy a place. (The only exception was one, maybe two condos where the poa controlled the landscape)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House