Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 03:50 PM

1,063 posts, read 910,299 times

Advertisements

"plant some trees" as in:

1. seedlings, and wait a while?

2. full grown already?

3. all the same species and gender?
(there male fig trees and female figs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 06:00 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
You could alternate a deep rooted deciduous tree with a native shrubby evergreen. Definition all year round.

Old 08-28-2023, 06:08 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
First time I’ve ever seen Spanish moss in a crape! But, I get it for your locale.

Not that there’s anything wrong with a crape, but there is maintenance for a multi-stalk version. Single trunk versions would probably look better for the OP’s scenario. But, they also make quite a mess as the season goes on.
I do not know what maintenance or mess you are referring to.

Old 08-28-2023, 06:13 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Maybe Crape murder where you saw the top of it off every year because "that's the way insert some dead guy's name told us to do.

Old 08-29-2023, 06:57 AM

5,893 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
I told her Crepe Myrtils or Magnolias would be pretty.
As noted already, Crepe Myrtles can be very messy when the flowers drop off. If you let them sit on a vehicle for more than a day or so, they will "weld" themselves to it and be nearly impossible to get off.

Magnolias can get huge and be very messy when their leaves fall off (even though they are evergreen).

Old 08-29-2023, 09:32 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Silver Lindens. Nice shape, don't get enormous.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:41 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times
Pay attention to the root system. Magnolia roots grow horizontally/laterally. I'd ask the local extension agent about native trees with deep roots. https://aplustree.com/3-types-of-tre...lo%2C%20walnut.

For a project like this, this book might be of interest:

Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain Wildlife with Native Plants by Douglas W. Tallamy

The extension agent should be aware of diseases and insect pests in the area which might affection the final decision. Going with just one type of tree increases the odds of disease and it spreading.

One way to mix the trees up is to plant smaller trees that bloom in front of taller trees in an alternating / zig-zag pattern.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:44 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,039,242 times
I have crepe myrtles and I would not plant them along the house driveway.
Summer they are pretty but messy dropping dead flowers (they have multi-thousand flowers)
but mainly I wouldn't because in winter they are stick figures.
Luckily the first owner planted our several crepe myrtles on the side and rear so they are not a prominent feature.

What would I plant? Probably native holly trees which are pretty all year long and loved by birds, bees and humans.
Your native co-operative extension online can tell you which cultivars do well in your area and maybe they can (by calling) tell you if there is a native plant nursery you can get them from.

Old 08-29-2023, 10:04 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
As noted already, Crepe Myrtles can be very messy when the flowers drop off. If you let them sit on a vehicle for more than a day or so, they will "weld" themselves to it and be nearly impossible to get off.

Magnolias can get huge and be very messy when their leaves fall off (even though they are evergreen).
Yes, love our huge magnolia but the leaf drop seems to never end, can't imagine cleaning up under several along the driveway.

And our church had crape myrtles along the long driveway. Very labor intensive to keep the shoots trimmed off. They don't look pretty when they're not uniform. They finally pulled them out. And I definitely wouldn't want the petals getting on the cars.

What about dogwoods? I've also heard of using pecan trees.

Added - I despise hollies. Prickly, huge shoots overnight, roots can never be killed.

Old 08-29-2023, 10:08 AM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Red Oak or Sugar Maple, actual shade unlike ornamental trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House