Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:28 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times

Advertisements

I have never purchased any IKEA...their nearest store is about 2 hours from me and I have never been. I did check out their website per curiousity of this thread and I have to say I am not impressed. Although I think the persons pictures of their kitchen they posted here look nice, I would have to question how those cabinets will hold up over time.

Looking at pictures on their site of many of their products they seem very drab to me. Some of the prices don't seem that cheap either for what you are getting. I think I much prefer the "Oak Express" and "Home Depot" type stores around me. JMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 12:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
If I could LIVE in Ikea, I'd be happy, lol. My kids LOVE it.
Good thing. Once you go into that place it can be impossible to find the way out. IF you go there, you might have to live there.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:32 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I would rather have a root canacl than have to shop at Ikea. that place makes me nuts, you cannot escape once you go in.

However their products tend to be decent quality for a cheap price. You can often get rreal wood furniture for the same price as laminated pressboard (garbage) furniture at most big box stores.

Assembly is another issue altogether. We bought a bunk bead there a long while back. Opened the box and saw at least 1500 pieces. The directions were one page of cartoon drawings that basically said A. Assmble top bunk. B. Assemble bottom bunk. C. Attach top bunk to bottom bunk.

Thanks. that was helpful.

After three days it was finally together and lasted a very long time under very abusive conditions.
This was hilarious. My hubby agreed 100%!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:14 PM

648 posts, read 3,091,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Good thing. Once you go into that place it can be impossible to find the way out. IF you go there, you might have to live there.
too funny!!! that was my exact feeling! i almost felt panic when i couldn't get out! lol

Old 11-06-2008, 01:53 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,749 times
hahah- very funny comments about the cartoon instructions and feeling like you can't get out. Like a maze? Just follow the signs.

I love Ikea! Ours opened about 16 yrs. ago and I still love it. I go try to go there a few times a year, though I used to live 5 min. from it- now farther away but about 45 min.

I think it all depends on what you're looking for. It furnished my first place (studio). Then I added pieces for my first apartment. Now that I have a house, I have few pieces left but plan on buying some of their BETTER quality furniture in the next few months.
I went from buy the pressed particle board to some wood pieces. You have to be picky. Their stuff varies.

I love that place, their set up rooms and their foods (meetballs, longinberry juice and sauce)!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:42 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
We priced out a kitchen for a home at IKEA (that we ultimately did not buy, the house I mean) and we felt that the cabinets were a pretty decent quality. Dh, who knows some about carpentry, felt that they were decent mid-range cabinets-not custom quality, obviously, but not cheap crap either. The IKEA kitchen was much cheaper than a comparable Home Deopt kitchen. IKEA even has granite.

So, I'd be happy with an IKEA kitchen.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
Why are there no stores in las Vegas???

Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
Why are there no stores in las Vegas???

Maybe Las Vegans are too smart to go into one of those places.

the first time I went to one, they were giving away a free house if oyu made it through to the end, you could enter a drawing. When we finally escaped, I told my wife that if we won the free house, it would have almost been worth it.

I managd to avoid going back for several years, but I have had to go into one on three or four different occiasions. (Maybe more, I have read that some people's minds block out severe traumatic experiences). I still shudder when I think of that place.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:13 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
IKEA is fantastic. Our nearest one is 3 hrs away in Canton, MI but the women of my family make our lists and do the pilgrimage once every year or so. And the men of our family prepare for a hex wrench marathon. LOL!

I have purchased there since living in CA years ago. There are fun fabrics, curtains, pictures and accessories even if the furniture is not what you want. I still have my 9.99 Ikea clock from the 90's , have painted it several times and it keeps great time still.

Our upstairs is more large scale and classic, but we are finishing our basement in a mod, clean lined style in part so we can use Ikea furniture and built in storage systems. I love Ikea and hope we get one where we live someday along with Trader Joe.
ha ha! Same here. I used to live 30 minutes from the Canton store. I now live in Indiana and will usually drive to the Chicago stores instead. I really miss living so close to an Ikea. Oh how I wish they would build one around here. I wonder if we could start a petition?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
i know this is an old thread--but i LOVE LOVE LOVE IKEA
we had 2 within 10 minutes of our house in NJ and we used to go almost every sunday. i just loved getting ideas etc.
my son's bedroom suite is from Ikea as well as our Dining room furniture. his stuff is only almost 5 yrs old and went through a move and short period of storage--still looking and holding up great--you know how kids are, so you can imagine how it would fall apart if it wasnt good.
the dining furniture is 10 yrs old, with about 2.5 yrs of storage time and assembled and reassembled at least twice and we use it every day and it still is in great condition.
yes there are some cheapy looking stuff, but there are also very nice things that hold up well. and i cannot express how much i love the design. they think of everything and it just makes sense--the idea behind it is spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House