Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:35 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,334,098 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else addicted to IKEA? I'm thinking of purchasing and installing a new Ikea kitchen. Has anyone done this? Are they good cabinets? Do you have any Pics? I know there is a forum for Ikea Fans but everyone seems to love them there and I want a less bias opinion. I would also love to hear stories on your likes or dislikes on shopping at Ikea whether it is kitchens or in general. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 10:43 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,657,750 times
Oh yeah! Someone else wanting IKEA. I too am just so interested in their cabinets! I love the free-standing Varde. I googled IKEA VARDA and got lotsa info. Both good and bad. Are you close to a store? I am thinking about having a looksee this spring.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:52 AM

Hey jkmewright, The closest Ikea to me is in Elizabeth, NJ. I love the look and the price is right, but would like to be sure of the quality before investing. I do like their lighting, chairs, tables, rugs and other stuff. I'm trying to stay away from their bedroom furniture but I'm thinking of getting the Malm bed.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:56 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Default Ikea

There's an IKEA in my neighborhood, but I've only shopped there a few times... I got my coffee table, a display cabinet, and various small items there. Overall, their products are kind of "cheap", but not poorly made. I personally don't like having to construct things myself, and ended up paying someone to put together the cabinet. I've also had a bad experience at the Oakland location, where I literally had to flirt with someone to get their help. I was standing in line for almost 2 hours, just to pick up the item from their storage... eventually noticed this one clerk winking at me, so I took advantage & got him to find my furniture - and carry it the car, LOL. To be fair, that was when they first opened, so it's probably easier to shop there now.

The one near me is usually not too crowded, and they have a yummy cafe! It's sometimes hard to find what you want, though, and "customer service" is still fairly non-existent. They aren't unfriendly or anything, just hard to track down for help... plus, the amount of stuff there is overwhelming. Anyway, happy shopping & I'm sure you'll find something you like! I've actually been meaning to go, since I need a new sofa...

Old 12-05-2006, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
There's an IKEA in my neighborhood, but I've only shopped there a few times... I got my coffee table, a display cabinet, and various small items there. Overall, their products are kind of "cheap", but not poorly made. I personally don't like having to construct things myself, and ended up paying someone to put together the cabinet. I've also had a bad experience at the Oakland location, where I literally had to flirt with someone to get their help. I was standing in line for almost 2 hours, just to pick up the item from their storage... eventually noticed this one clerk winking at me, so I took advantage & got him to find my furniture - and carry it the car, LOL. To be fair, that was when they first opened, so it's probably easier to shop there now.

The one near me is usually not too crowded, and they have a yummy cafe! It's sometimes hard to find what you want, though, and "customer service" is still fairly non-existent. They aren't unfriendly or anything, just hard to track down for help... plus, the amount of stuff there is overwhelming. Anyway, happy shopping & I'm sure you'll find something you like! I've actually been meaning to go, since I need a new sofa...
You're right help is hard to find at those stores and the cafe is very good. I love those natural potato chips they sell and of course the meatballs!

Old 12-05-2006, 11:11 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Ah yes, the Swedish meatballs are delicious... not as good as my mom's, but yummy nonetheless.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:09 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,677 times
I'd love to go to an ikea but there isn't one around here.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:45 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
I'd love to go to an ikea but there isn't one around here.
Ditto Scranton. We're getting new Starbucks coming in left and right now though. Perhaps IKEA will think we're getting "trendier" as a result and follow suit?

Old 12-06-2006, 03:27 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,918 times
I think I might roll up and die without an IKEA in the area. I must admit, it was an aquired taste, but now I am hooked. IKEA can vary greatly in terms of quality though in their individual products. Some things have been fantastic, others broke within a few months. :/

Old 05-07-2007, 04:48 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,750 times
Default Any fans of IKEA?

We just got our first IKEA where I live last year. I finally made the 'pilgrimage' there last week. It wasn't too bad. The stuff wasn't too bad looking.

I didn't buy anything yet as it was a big, overwhelming store. I took the catalog home to figure out what I want to get

What do you think of IKEA? Anyone ever buy any furniture there? I'm thinking of getting some bedroom furniture there (not really keen on their mattresses though, but I can get that elsewhere).

Anyone a fan of IKEA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House